What's for Dinner #85: The Falling Leaves Edition - September 2022

Can’t wait to settle in to enjoy it! Thanks! Also anniversary getaway. Congrats! :champagne::clinking_glasses:

1 Like

Happy Anniversary! The cabin looks so romantic and all the food looks amazing too.

thank you very much!

thank you! that cottage was amazing, nicest place we’ve ever rented.

2 Likes

thanks!

1 Like

The October thread is here:

7 Likes

I’ll have that, please. Tell us about the topping?

1 Like

I’ve been there! Fun! Sounds like a dream weekend.

Sure, I use a recipe from Every Grain of Rice by Fuchsia Dunlop. You first heat some oil with star anise and Sichuan peppercorn, discard the spices, then add ground pork and then minced ginger. Once the pork is no longer pink, splash some Shaoxing wine and let it evaporate. Then add a couple spoonfuls of tianmianjiang/sweet flour sauce/sweet bean sauce and fry, add a little water and let it cook and reduce a little. Serve over noodles with cucumber and/or other veggies.

5 Likes

Jajangmyun (that’s the usual Korean spelling) is one of my favorite Korean-Chinese restaurant dishes. I can’t not order it when I see on a menu. I think Fuschia’s recipe is fancier than the version at the mom and pop places but sounds and looks delicious. The version at the Korean-owned places I believe omit anise/Sichuan peppercorn and is generally less aromatic. It’s just a big-ass bowl of noodles. I don’t eat pork so I get “ganjajang,” which is usually served with the sauce on the side, without the pork. I’ve never made it at home. You’ve inspired me. Maybe. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks!

Moved to October - yikes!

1 Like

Time flies! This was a recent dinner - Creamy Tuscan Chicken, as mentioned on the menu planning topic. Thanks! Very good, and will repeat. Only change was adding a minced shallot, and used homegrown small yellow tomatoes that were much bigger than grape but smaller than Roma. They’re called Siberian slicers, and were excellent, but a stretch to call them slicers. The pic doesn’t do the dish justice, the sauce was a beautiful saffron like color. Served with fettucine, and a garden salad on the side. Leftovers were great as well.

13 Likes

It’s pretty easy to make! I believe this is the Shandong version of zhajiangmian, the Beijing version has soybean paste. I’ve only had the Korean-Chinese version in restaurants, haven’t made it at home. From what I remember the Korean version is sweeter, perhaps due to differences in Korean tianmianjang, and has larger chunks of pork and also some raw onion bits. Will have to try making it one of these days, Maangchi has a recipe: https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/jjajangmyeon

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: What’s For Dinner #86 - the Apples, & Cider, & DONUTS, Oh MY! Edition - October 2022

This looks great. Where did you get the recipe?

There’s a link to it on both the Sept and Oct weekly menu planning threads. @hergreenapples originally posted it in the Sept topic, and @ChristinaM provided a link to it in both places, at the ends of both. I would put the link to it here, but my brain is still asleep. Drinking first cup of Joe right now.

1 Like

@linguafood this post

I saw. Looks really great!

Lovely and simple. Thanks for sharing. Got some soon to expire veggies here, too. This is the type of thing I love to make for work lunches.