What's for Dinner #85: The Falling Leaves Edition - September 2022

Chipolata sausage, Nigel Slater’s preserved tomato sauce on bucatini, mixed sauteed shrooms, and salad. courtesy of El BF. The sausage was from our Frenchy butcher, and is supposedly maybe of French origin/inspiration. Whatever, it was tasty.

now off to work on the Amsterdam post!

17 Likes

ooh i may have to participate, i love Peruvian food!

BLT pasta (NYT recipe), only I used kale instead of arugula, sauteeing it in advance. Quick and easy, and very tasty. A quarter recipe made a light dinner for the two of us.

Grapette tomatoes and kale from the garden.

16 Likes

Zhajiangmian

15 Likes

Dinner tonight was roasted onion, yellow and green peppers and garlic. Garmished with feta and served over angel hair pasta.

17 Likes

for those who asked/care, my post about Amsterdam is up.

6 Likes

and our 20th anniversary getaway to Guerneville last weekend. We had a beautiful cottage in the redwoods with a hot tub and all. Weather under the trees was much cooler than in town (71 compared to 91 when we arrived!) so it was just perfect sitting/eating our meals on the back patio. We basically lazed, cooked, ate, drank, (excellent wines I brought with us from K&L), did crossword puzzles/played Scrabble, read, soaked in the hot tub, stayed up late, woke up late, went out for burgers/fries for lunch, and wine tasting on our last day out of town (Porter Creek.) Lovely!

20th Anni 2022 - 1

20th Anni 2022 - 2

20th Anni 2022 - 4

20th Anni 2022 - 7

20th Anni 2022 - 8

20th Anni 2022 - 9

20th Anni 2022 - 10

24 Likes

Happy anniversary and wish you many more happy years to come.

2 Likes

delicious recipe

Can’t wait to settle in to enjoy it! Thanks! Also anniversary getaway. Congrats! :champagne::clinking_glasses:

1 Like

Happy Anniversary! The cabin looks so romantic and all the food looks amazing too.

thank you very much!

thank you! that cottage was amazing, nicest place we’ve ever rented.

2 Likes

thanks!

1 Like

The October thread is here:

7 Likes

I’ll have that, please. Tell us about the topping?

1 Like

I’ve been there! Fun! Sounds like a dream weekend.

Sure, I use a recipe from Every Grain of Rice by Fuchsia Dunlop. You first heat some oil with star anise and Sichuan peppercorn, discard the spices, then add ground pork and then minced ginger. Once the pork is no longer pink, splash some Shaoxing wine and let it evaporate. Then add a couple spoonfuls of tianmianjiang/sweet flour sauce/sweet bean sauce and fry, add a little water and let it cook and reduce a little. Serve over noodles with cucumber and/or other veggies.

5 Likes

Jajangmyun (that’s the usual Korean spelling) is one of my favorite Korean-Chinese restaurant dishes. I can’t not order it when I see on a menu. I think Fuschia’s recipe is fancier than the version at the mom and pop places but sounds and looks delicious. The version at the Korean-owned places I believe omit anise/Sichuan peppercorn and is generally less aromatic. It’s just a big-ass bowl of noodles. I don’t eat pork so I get “ganjajang,” which is usually served with the sauce on the side, without the pork. I’ve never made it at home. You’ve inspired me. Maybe. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks!