What's For Dinner #83 - the I Scream, You Scream Edition - July 2022

Have you tried Borgatti’s?

Trout with fennel and grapefruit from At Home In The Kitchen by David Kinch. Also, angel hair tossed with grapefruit zest, Calabrian chiles, and olive oil.

22 Likes

Final night of our road trip, and opted for something light: butterbrod with cold-smoked steelhead trout and cream cheese on French bread. Fruit and veg. There was carrot cake for dessert.

20 Likes

Had some frozen artichoke agnolotti so decided to make shrimp and artichoke francese.

16 Likes

Kheema macaroni (well, farfalle) for dinner tonight.

Still slowly sorting what’s in the freezer and trying to savage what I can. Found a flat-pack of kheema and boiled potatoes (yep) so thought I’d make shepherd’s pie.

But when it came time to eat, I realized I wanted this. Needed some fresh tomato and herbs to perk it up, plus some fried onions I currently have a vat of.

Really good, and the onions and cinnamon stick that got left in the kheema made it taste a bit Turkish rather than Indian.

20 Likes

Ah, the sun came out today. Grilled Mediterranean shrimp kabobs, asparagus, baby bells, onions. Jasmine rice. Mixed greens, radicchio salad with red onion, and French Breakfast radish and sugar snap peas from the garden, creamy Greek dressing. 'twas a Nergroni aperitief and an Americano with.

21 Likes

Repeat of a recent lunch - a choripán - sandwich of Argentinian style chorizo on baguette with chimichurri. With broccolini and tomato dressed in the same chimichurri.

And a glass of a nice natty red from Spain.

24 Likes

Is cinnamon not a typical seasoning for kheema? Or was it just that it became stronger than usual because it was left in while the kheema was in the freezer? My standard kheema, which is based on Raghavan Iyer’s recipe from 660 Curries, calls for a cinnamon stick, but I sometimes use ground instead because I like a strong cinnamon flavor in the dish.

Yours looks delicious, btw! And I love the idea of using it as pasta sauce!

1 Like

I’ve been telling the BF i could just eat two COTC for dinner and be perfectly happy, and tonight was the night. Two ears, one butter and salt, the other with gochujang butter and gochugaru. Perfection. BF’s dinner was maybe more well-balanced - his chicken salad spread (more pate-like, really), Açorda Alentejana (Portuguese broth), and sauteed garlicky zucchini - but who was the real winner here? I think we know.

26 Likes

There’s isn’t supposed to be a singular garam masala flavor when they’re all used - they’re in balance.

So I had a piece of cinnamon, a couple of cloves and cardamom pods, several black peppercorns, and a tejpatta (indian “bay” leaf). The cinnamon may have intensified because there was less meat in the leftovers than I started out with.

Cinnamon is probably my least favorite of the whole spices, cloves after that. I have no issues with too much cardamom!

Kheema macaroni is absolutely delicious, one of my childhood favorites (also - kheema shepherds pie and kheema sandwich toast / panini) - try it!

11 Likes

key word - “try” - same here!

1 Like

dayum, that looks fantastic. i love couscous.

1 Like

When I was a kid, I used to liken it to eating sand. Now I love it. Such a quick and easy side dish after a work day. And I like it better than the pearled variety.

1 Like

Yum

1 Like

15 Likes

Have you tried Greek makaronia me kima (Greek pasta- called makaronia even when it’s spaghetti and not macaroni- with tomato & meat sauce?) It tends to include cinnamon. I like it, but I’m accustomed to it.

I will have to try the Indian version.

3 Likes

That looks & sounds spectacular :star_struck:

Fantastic dinner at our favorite resto in Hamburg last night, after visiting our 93 yr old cousin out in the boonies. The woman still reads Ancient Greek texts, and is one of the first of her generation to get a university degree. Fascinating lady, even if her stories can experience some significant…. thread drift (like reading HO on occasion :joy:).

Anyway, I “met” the owner eons ago on an online rating platform that eventually was bought out by Yelp, and we’ve been visiting his place whenever possible.

The 4-course menu of the month is discounted from 52€ to 42€ Mon-Thur. They started charging for their amazing bread, as they were throwing away about a 1/4 of it when it was free. Now only people who really want it order it, so there’s less waste.

Had the “Beach Weather” (sloe liquor/ sparkling wine) aperitif, a beautiful Riesling with & white porto after.

Portions weren’t ridic, so we didn’t feel like complete :pig::pig::pig: afterwards.

Meager ceviche, fermented asparagus, egg, nasturtium

Fried cod fritter with black garlic aioli & broccolini

Chilled red beets & raspberry soup with horseradish crème fraîche

Sirloin au jus with chanterelle frittata & peas

Marsala ice cream with berries

17 Likes

I recently bought 10 bunches of garlic scapes and so have been making batches of scape pesto for the freezer. For dinner I decided to use a freshly made batch with some black sea bass Mr Bean caught. I made a quick sauce with some vegetable broth, lemon, white wine, sun-dried tomato and the pesto and then lightly poached the fish. Served over Israeli couscous.

19 Likes

*It’s meagre ceviche. GD autocorrect changed it and now I can’t edit my post. The ceviche was anything but meager :roll_eyes:

6 Likes