What's For Dinner #83 - the I Scream, You Scream Edition - July 2022

I don’t drink much, so I can’t give you proper respect for your boozy stories and photos, although I can tell a lot of heart and soul goes into your lectures. Your grilled chicken, though, is a thing of beauty.

3 Likes

Thanks @MelMM!

I’m excited to delve into Flavors of the Sun after my nephews leave - and not just because of the Sahadi’s connection!

1 Like

I made barley salad with roasted red pepper dressing, hazelnuts, cukes, tomatoes, mint, chives, parsley, and summer squash from the garden, Manzanilla olives, spinach, and CSA radishes. Topped with crispy shrimp.

18 Likes

Went shopping for my birthday tomorrow. I have a lot of vacuum sealing to do . 4 lbs red snapper , pound of king salmon . Frozen calamari tubes with tentacles , razor clams, lamb loin chops , sardines , duck liver and pork mousse with cognac ,stilton cheese . I told the monger I would like some bones for fish stock . It’s my birthday tomorrow. He pulled a twenty pound halibut out of the back . Filleted it right in front of me . That big bag must way close to ten pounds. There is a ton of meat around those bones . He goes it’s free . Wow!!! . Now what’s for dinner. Cheers :wine_glass:

30 Likes

Looks like there’s going to be a celebratory seafood feast – happy birthday!

3 Likes

There was a quick shot of halibut ribs on a recent iron chef show along with pork ribs and other ribs. I’m not sure they actually made bbq ribs out of them, but I think it was mentioned…let us know what you do with dem bones if you have too much for stock! Happy birthday!

1 Like

Yay! Happiest birthday to you.

2 Likes

Have a great birthday!

1 Like

That salmon looks wonderful! And happy early birthday…looks like there will be lots of good eats tomorrow!

3 Likes

Happy Birthday! It looks like you’re going to have a really fun day. Enjoy

1 Like

Happy birthday! That all looks amazing!

2 Likes

Individual chicken enchilada casseroles to use up stuff in the fridge before we go on vacation tomorrow. Not pictured is the pico de gallo I also made to use up the last of the tomatoes.

19 Likes

Another “best of” food day for (one of) the visiting kiddos.

Barely escaped a monsoon-like deluge as we ran into his favorite pizza place (New York style, obvi).

Picked up Oaxacan cheese from the grocery store across the street, plus refried and black beans and rice from the favorite neighborhood Mexican restaurant a couple of blocks away.

Kids’ Top 3 dinner tonight: homemade cheese quesadillas with the beans and rice, plus sliced cucumber for vegetable content. Other kiddo ran home when the dinner plan was mentioned - took his food to go.

I ate leftover Indian food - spinach chicken with rice. Tasted better today than when I cooked it!

And another gratuitous non-food shot of a favorite- The Temple of Dendur at the Met, where they are projecting what the painted exterior might have looked at.

21 Likes

Grilled burger. Toasted buttered French sandwich roll, layered with a slab of duck mousse, caramelized onion/mushrooms, ground tri-tip and bacon patty, melted Gruyère and whole grain mustard. A side of dressed greens to cut the richness. The rest of the Cotes du Rhone. I have been dreaming of this and it didn’t disappoint.

20 Likes

happy early bday! what feasting you’ll do!

1 Like

omg what are you, French??
I had a burger as big as my head once in Paris and it had a slab of foie gras on it. super rich but yes, a burger for the ages…

3 Likes

I love reading these kiddo “best of” meals!

2 Likes

:drooling_face:Yum

2 Likes

Sweet cherry vareniki with garden blueberries and sour cream.

21 Likes

BF made Bún Thịt Nướng with the leftover (unmarinated) pork shoulder and herbs/veggies we had from the weekend’s cooking, and restaurant-purchased Chả Giò. The imperial rolls were a disappointment (a bit heavy and doughy) but his Bun was not. i sent him the Serious Eats recipe, and i had leftover nuoc cham. Excellent!

21 Likes