What's For Dinner #82 - June 2022 - the Scary Campfire Stories and Sticky S'Mores Month

Ribfest is on this weekend! I live in an apartment with no access to a bbq so I live for this weekend. Last night I headed up for some takeout so I got a combination plate (ribs and sausage) with coleslaw and cornbread on the side. I had the ribs and sides last night and the sausage went in the freezer for a future dinner.

18 Likes

Thank you. They were outstanding.

1 Like

I made crispy gnocchi primavera using last night’s leftover broccoli, zucchini, and tomatoes, loosely based on this recipe..

For a 10-minute meal it was pretty tasty. Oreo thins will be for dessert.

20 Likes

A mid-afternoon Scooby Snack of manchego cheese with quince paste, cashews standing in for Marcona almonds, and some proscuitto.

The early dinner was another one planned on Friday evening. Probably not the best thing for a beautiful spring evening, but when the taste buds demand, you must answer the command.

Mom’s Lemon Pot Roast, and boiled and buttered potatoes and carrots.

There was wine.

25 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was a rice noodle salad with asparagus, shrimp, radish, and cucumber. The dressing includes EVOO, lime juice, garlic and ginger. The Thai chili I added to the dressing did a great job of cleaning out my sinuses :wink:

17 Likes

Dinner tonight was two from Maunika Gowardhan’s new book, Thali. Hot and sour fish curry (Goan Fish Ambotik) and vegetable fried rice with ginger and turmeric (a sort of stir-fried vegetable pulao). Fantastic!

15 Likes

Leftover chicken in cream sauce, with mushrooms, scallions and peas. I used a Taste of Home recipe as the jumping off point, cutting the pasta and cream sauce in half, but keeping the full amount of chicken and mushrooms. Omitted capers and added baby peas. A little extra chicken stock helped to keep things loose.

Easy enough, riffable and tasty, I will make it, or some version of it, again.

18 Likes

We had herb crusted lamb chops that DH pan fried in some olive oil. I made a lemon orzo pilaf seasoned with grated garlic, olive oil and fresh dill with a nice Greek feta crumbled onto each serving. And steamed asparagus - butter, salt & pepper. Everything played well together.

12 Likes

We enjoyed another excellent dinner at Egeo Estiarorio in Park Ridge, NJ including swordfish kebabs; branzino; fried zucchini; loukaniko; and melitzana. It all went great with a couple of excellent Shiraz.

11 Likes

Ah, G & T season is upon us. And a sandwich that’s a lot of work but worth it. My famous chicken cutlets under all that.

21 Likes

Simple beef chili with ground beef, red pepper and kidney beans and a bit of sour cream

12 Likes

Hit the beer garden nearby to catch up with a friend we hadn’t seen in 3 years over beerz & bratz, then had her over to our paddy’o for a big ole plate of caprese: mozza di buff, vine materz, reasonably ripe avo, basil chiffonade to top things off :slight_smile:

18 Likes

I like your version better - and WAY too much heavy cream, even for 2 cups of pasta, mushrooms, and chicken each!

2 Likes

Thank you! I thought it came out pretty well. Just enough sauce to coat lightly with all the extras in there.

1 Like

Eggplant & cheese girasole alla norma. Roasted a small eggplant to add to the sugo di melanzana from the Italian market. A little parm shower to finish. Perfect portion for two.

20 Likes

Made myself an impromptu, absolutely funky and weird, bowl of soup noodle for dinner!

Cantonese Shrimp-egg noodles with Octopus balls, Cantonese shrimp ‘shui-gow’ dumplings and braised pig’s stomach in herbed soy marinade! Broth using light premium top-soy, OXO bouillon, Knorr chicken powder, Thai fish sauce, Murin and sesame oil. Garnished with Chinese Kale ( Gai-Lan)

Amazingly delicious outcome! Guess in an hours time, I would need a few glasses of water to quench my ’ MSG ’ thirst! Ha!! :yum: :rofl:

14 Likes

Glad you are still making that scrumptious pot roast. The temps have been really dropping here near Philly. No complaints.

Tonight I made an asparagus sun dried tomato risotto. Note to self: use the tips as a garnish at the end.

17 Likes

Had some nice, local spot shrimp on hand tonight, as well as some clams we dug ourselves. Had planned on trying a new-to-me recipe for New England style chowder from Evantide, but upon news of an impromptu guest for dinner, reverted to my standard, reliable version, which calls for no immodest amount of butter, bacon and cream. I like to season it with Worchestershire, tabasco, dry sherry and hondashi.

Served with salad greens from the garden, and homemade oyster crackers.

No picture, ‘cuz there was company.

17 Likes

Sockeye salmon with a maple, mustard sauce. Asparagus, butter and a sprinkle of smoked salt. Salad of mixed greens, tomatoes, pickled beets, mushrooms, red onion, creamy Greek dressing.

20 Likes