What's For Dinner #82 - June 2022 - the Scary Campfire Stories and Sticky S'Mores Month

It’s horrible. Ask me how I know.

4 Likes

@gcaggiano and @ChristinaM
Vive la différence. I must confess a fondness for Knob Creek Smoked Maple bourbon.

1 Like

Actually propylene glycol is used extensively throughout the food industry and so I am not sure why you point towards cinnamon whiskey when it is in many vodkas, fast food, salad dressings, canned beans, many soft drinks etc. (and the anti freezing property is also not the reason it is added but it has anti-oxidative properties. In addition, it is used for anti-caking, emulsifier, dough-strengthener, anti-microbial agent, stabilizer etc.)

2 Likes

That looks fantastic!

Thank you! We are trying to get fish into our diet!

Took advantage of a cool evening to make baked zucchini in tomato sauce, finished with fresh mozzarella. Garlic bread made with scapes as the side.

One of our favorite ways to use a lot of zucchini!

19 Likes

Inspiring. I could dive right in! :star_struck:

1 Like

Thank you! It was very rewarding to make (Dunlop always manages to make recipes approachable), and even better when BF actually liked it!

Need to restock my chili bean paste now :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ice cream too, to prevent ice crystals.

I would love to get your recipes for those!

2 Likes

Mine is more of a technique than a recipe.

Here’s how I make the roasted zucchini in tomato sauce. After washing the zucchini, I trim off the ends, slice them lengthwise into planks (a small zucchini will yield two planks; a larger and thicker one, three), and cut each plank in half so it fits nicely into a baking dish.

Then I use a silicone brush to coat a baking dish with olive oil—or use clean hands—before layering in the zucchini planks that likewise get brushed with oil. One layer of zucchini planks that somewhat overlap ensures roasting, rather than stewing.

I distribute a generous pinch of salt over the planks plus a couple pinches of dried, crumbled herbs: oregano, basil, or both. You could add minced garlic or a chopped scape as well—if we’re also having garlic bread I omit.

Finally I spoon tomato sauce over the top and use my silicone brush to smear and coat the planks with the tomato sauce. (Back of a spoon works too.)

Then the uncovered baking dish goes into the oven at 400F for approximately 40 minutes. I check at about 25 minutes, poke with a fork to check progress, and drizzle on more olive oil if the dish looks too dry. Baking time varies depending on thickness of the planks and how much zucchini I’ve layered into the baking dish.

My cheat for the tomato sauce is often Trader Joe’s refrigerated pizza sauce in the 10 ounce container, because it’s concentrated and herby. Really any tomato sauce you like or chopped fresh tomatoes that you’ve seasoned with herbs would be great.

I use a box grater to grate fresh mozzarella that I have ready to sprinkle on top of the zucchini when the dish comes out of the oven. I distribute the cheese over the zucchini then cover the baking dish with foil so the mozzarella gets melty. The mozzarella has time to melt while I toast the garlic bread.

For the garlic scape bread, I mince up a (garlic) scape then simply mash it into softened butter with a fork—easy compound butter. One scape to half a stick of butter is a pleasing ratio. Spread scape butter onto Italian bread or similar and top with grated Parmesan cheese to your liking. Toast bread under a broiler until golden.

Note: Eggplant prepared this way is another summer favorite.

10 Likes

Haha yes, that was funny!

1 Like

I really want this whole plate.

1 Like

I would love to eat this as well!

Last night we had my DH’s smoked, braised barbacoa (beef chuck roast) on good handmade corn tortillas with the works. It was SO good. Cabbage braised in poblano chicken broth with butter as the side.

24 Likes

Those tacos are everything!

2 Likes

Rigatoni Cacio e Pepi (adapted from At Home In The Kitchen by David Kinch) and a salad of tomato, radish, and parsley to cut through the richness.

23 Likes

I love velveting meat for stir fries; that looks lovely El.

ETA: finally cooked again last night. Beloved frittata with shallots, pancetta, & Emmantal. A lovely tossed lettuce side.

21 Likes

No energy to cook, thus a fridge clean-out of leftover nacho stuff. My protein - some refried beans - didn’t make the photo. I mustered enough strength to make a margarita to wash it down.

22 Likes

Torta with pork milanesa, panela cheese, mayonnaise, red salsa, avocado, tomato, and pickled jalapeños, with frozen fries.

22 Likes