What's For Dinner #82 - June 2022 - the Scary Campfire Stories and Sticky S'Mores Month

@paryzer - Congratulations, and best wishes for the next phase!

Thanks for sharing your delicious celebrations with us!

2 Likes

" Bagels will never be the same again" I felt the same way after attending an Outfest in Philly. This was awhile ago when things were more happy go lucky and watching the peniz shaped bagel eating contest was so much fun. And erotic.

1 Like

Love everything about this post! Scallion shmear is my fave on a bagel (everything’s my groove).

3 Likes

Loved hearing about your day. Those cream cheeses tho…

4 Likes

I normally like mine toasted with butter but I couldn’t pass up a cream cheese of some kind with that selection.

4 Likes

wonderful day, and i’m glad you participated! It’s time for all to celebrate whatever we can!

9 Likes

Dinner tonight was whole dorade, braised in chili bean sauce, from Land of Plenty by Fuchsia Dunlop. There was steamed rice. I decided that the scallions, garlic, and ginger was enough vegetables :slight_smile:

24 Likes

lovely!

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

leftovers the BF put together of my enchiladas suizas, plus fresh COTC and canned black beans. enchiladas tasted way better today, of course, but i swear i could just live on corn for the whole danged summer.

22 Likes

All day I was craving chicken enchiladas, I wonder why. So that’s wfd.Chopped chicken breast seasoned with Mexican oregano, chile powder, cumin, coriander, s&p, poblano pepper, onion, garlic, a combo of green enchilada sauce & roasted slasa verde, jack cheese, sour cream. Side of fresh from the cob street corn. Salad of romaine, tomato, onion, black olives, ranch dressing with a dusting of Tajin. Orange polamos.
I went to the liquor store today, did you know they make peanut butter whiskey? WTF is this world coming to.

21 Likes

Rajas, rice, beans, corn tortillas, fried panela cheese, and half an avocado.

18 Likes

We frequently have power outages in town, and tonight was no exception. Fortunately, we had just fired up the Big Green Egg with the Looft Lighter when we lost it, and have an induction burner we can run off a small battery pack which we keep around just for such things (have our router plugged into it atm as well).

Dinner tonight was David Lebovitz’s Moroccan Chicken Kebabs. On the side: couscous with baby garden peas, and a Mediterranean chopped salad.

Every time I make these kebabs I curse myself and wonder why I do it - the yogurt marinade sticks to the grill grates something awful. When I eat it, however, all is forgiven. So tender and moist, and I love the hit of Ras el hanout.

And I figured out how to add a photo to HO from my ipad!

23 Likes

Good for you!

Your dinner looks fabulous and I am thrilled that your future looks fabulous too : )

1 Like

Oh… That couscous…

1 Like

Okay, so I’m not a flavored whiskey guy at all. In fact, in the lectures I give on liquor and liquor history, I go into a near diatribe on them, especially cinnamon whiskeys which usually contain the antifreeze agent propylene glycol. I digress…

HOWEVER, I have found Skrewball Peanut Butter Whiskey to be delightful, if anything because it is not overly sweetened. On a blind tasting, it might be confused with Frangelico, but its not bad. There is a cheaper version called Blind Squirrel which isn’t bad either.

I often compare flavored whiskeys to flavored coffees: they all smell amazing, but only 10% deliver the flavor. Skrewball I stand behind.

5 Likes

It’s horrible. Ask me how I know.

4 Likes

@gcaggiano and @ChristinaM
Vive la différence. I must confess a fondness for Knob Creek Smoked Maple bourbon.

1 Like

Actually propylene glycol is used extensively throughout the food industry and so I am not sure why you point towards cinnamon whiskey when it is in many vodkas, fast food, salad dressings, canned beans, many soft drinks etc. (and the anti freezing property is also not the reason it is added but it has anti-oxidative properties. In addition, it is used for anti-caking, emulsifier, dough-strengthener, anti-microbial agent, stabilizer etc.)

2 Likes

That looks fantastic!