What's For Dinner #82 - June 2022 - the Scary Campfire Stories and Sticky S'Mores Month

Any updates? I discovered one small beef shank last winter at Wegmans for only ten dollars. I was strong with the heating and cooling method, plus letting the shank and broth chill for a couple of days. I am still a noob with some cuts of beef because when my mom wanted beef she would custom order a lovely porterhouse steak from our neighborhood butcher. My no rush method was incredible and I turned it into a stewish soup. Not sure I am gonna do this again until autumn though. How are you feeling?

2 Likes

This recipe won’t let you down.:

https://www.dinneralovestory.com/pork-chops-with-kale/

I amp up the seasonings and aromatics, and pre-steam the kale in the microwave. It’s very versatile. I have often swapped in good marinara sauce.

1 Like

That looks wonderful!

1 Like

Tonight I doctored a package of TJ’s Kung Pao chicken with toasted peppers and Xaoxing wine. Chili crisp at the table. I served it over cauli-jasmine rice with garden Swiss Chard that had been stir-fried with ginger, scallion, and garlic scape puree.

22 Likes

Leftover salmon and bok choy with fettuccine and the last of the soy-ginger reduction. Chives and chile crisp (Fly by Jing) to go with.

19 Likes

A few things in the works; only the strawberries are “finished”.

Good!

My weekly Taco filling/mince. How long can I keep it warm?

First time making Baked Cauliflower with Salt Cod, Currants, and Pine Nuts , but uncertain about reducing almost $5.00 worth of heavy cream that might not be “appreciated”. Trying to start with a single serving.

17 Likes

Improvised a chimichurri chicken dish that turned out pretty well! Sautéed chicken thigh chunks, red pepper flakes and some chorizo in olive oil, added copious chopped garlic and cooked just long enough to tame the raw bite. Turned off heat and added more olive oil, red wine vinegar and chopped parsley. Dumped the whole mess over roasted broccoli. Tasty!

10 Likes

My finger has not stopped throbbing. I’m supposed to take the emergency doctor’s bandage off tomorrow, apply antibiotic ointment and put a new finger bandage on. I take a blood thinner that causes problems with coagulation. So if it starts bleeding again, back to the urgent care center I go.

The soup was delicious. The beef shanks are quite flavorful and tender. We’ll have another meal with it tomorrow night and freeze the rest for a few more meals. It’s been cold and rainy here. Perfect soup weather.

8 Likes

Dinner tonight was inspired by @shrinkrap’s cauliflower baked ziti. Roasted cauliflower and garlic, sauteed Italian sausage, onion, baby bells and then mixed it all together with alfredo sauce. Back in the oven until bubbly, served with parm, parsley and asparagus. Salad of tomato, moz, oo, balsamic and basil. I licked my plate.

20 Likes

A riff on a recipe for posted by @hergreenapples for Fancy Chicken & Rice, I modified a recipe for aromatic rice from Jennifer Segal to include chicken breast pieces.

With no suitable veg on hand to go with (squash would have been nice, or carrots, or brussels sprouts, or cabbage), I continued the fruit theme and went with roasted apples.

18 Likes

Oh no! So glad the soup was tasty.

1 Like

I haven’t had delicious white asparagus since living in Germany. A fantastic veggie.

1 Like

15 Likes

“Date Night Crab Risotto”, adapted from At Home In The Kitchen, by David Kinch. My additions were toasted garlic, peas, and Fresno chiles. Delicious end to the work week!

21 Likes

Date Night Crab Risotto

That looks so delicious!

4 Likes

Thank you! It has become a household favorite :slight_smile:

I really LOVE long 5 day holiday weekends.

I really HATE trying to playing catch-up during the remaining 3 workdays.

Killer Fridays are Just. Not Fun.

I went as easy on myself as I could for my late dinner: Gorton’s fish filet sandwich with a remoulade of mayo, seafood cocktail sauce, and additional horseradish, topped with lettuce on a lightly toasted TJs brioche roll, with Lamb-Weston crinkle cut fries alongside with Heinz Simply Ketchup.

You can be damn sure there was wine.

24 Likes

Sometimes you just need “American-Chinese” from and old school joint. That hit the spot!

The classic

Eggplant stuffed with shrimp in a black bean sauce over brown not fried rice. ( although I love fried rice this is better for me……sigh )

Chicken in garlic sauce
Uploading: 10D48CDB-DAB3-46FB-9D9E-9835A3ABB0B8.jpeg…

18 Likes

Homemade pappardelle cooked al dente, browned butter and a bit of parmesan. Cucumber salad. Fruit for dessert. Everything disappeared even though no one was particularly hungry. Egg pasta: it’s what for dinner when you want inexpensive and satisfying.

12 Likes

Scallion roasted chicken over potatoes. A little bit Cook’s Illustrated High Roast Chicken (March-April 2000), and a little bit NYT Chicken With Green Garlic Potatoes.

Served with salad greens in vinaigrette.

Scallions and lettuces from the garden.

20 Likes