What's for Dinner - #81 - the Planting Month - May 2022

@Sasha - how did your hot and sour soup turn out? Just love it, and our PNW weather lately makes it welcome still.

@retrospek - the hot n sour I make varies a lot, depending what I have on hand. Usually always have tofu, some kind of chicken or pork, mushrooms, and will use frozen veg too - peas, edamame, etc. It goes together pretty fast when using boxed broth, and some frozen veg at least. I don’t typically have all the fab goodies at the same time, at least since Covid.

4 Likes

Thank you @jiaozi :pray:

1 Like

Kurobuta tomahawk pork chops with sour cherry sauce. Roasted asparagus.

Cherries from our tree (from frozen) and asparagus from the garden.

20 Likes

BF defrosted my carnitas “mother” (leftover from a few different carnitas makings) and braised chunks of pork shoulder in it for a few hours. Hot sauce was something I picked up from a restaurant where one of the bus boys served it to me, said it was his own. I asked if he could sell me some and he said sure! Really good - kind of fruity, smokey, nice and creamy. I’m going to have to ask his secret next time. Or just keep buying it from him.

carnitas bowls 3

22 Likes

You cast your bread upon the waters.

3 Likes

oh goodness i LURVVVE birria tacos! i’ve only made them once and ruined them by accidentally putting too much clove in, but I’m going to make them again. But there are a ton of places near me that make them really well… What didn’t you love about them?

4 Likes

Rigatoni alla carbonara

21 Likes

Yum :100:

3 Likes

BF made us breakfast for dinner. Pancakes with an awesome cinnamon apple topping. Side of Amylu chicken breakfast sausage.

20220506_222615

I made cheesey hash browns in the wok because there weren’t enough carbs. :rofl: We shared this.

20220506_220720

22 Likes

Today, I made jambalaya for the first time, but it felt like a fairly similar process to all of the flavored rices I’ve made to date. This one includes oysters, prawns and andouille.

I started by sauteeing the holy trinity (onion, celery, bell pepper), followed by paprika for color, then coins of andouille, pre-soaked jasmine rice and finally a chicken stock augmented with pre-shucked oyster liqueur for a briny punch. I borrowed the oyster idea after seeing oysters included in the jambalaya at David Kinch’s restaurant (The Bywater). I went with my gut and stuck to the 1.25 : 1 ratio I normally use for jasmine and was rewarded with a moist but not mushy jambalaya.

After a brief 15 min simmer over the stovetop using a large skillet (a trick I use for all rice dishes to avoid using the oven while cooking quickly and evenly) and a 10 min rest, I transferred it all to the dutch oven for more working space and combined it for plating.

22 Likes

Asheville interpretations of chicken pad Thai, Vietnamese chicken noodle soup, and veggie fried rice (served with a sweet mayo??).

2 Likes

Had to Google that one. Thank you. :heart:

Linda Whit is my hero. There are a few on another sandbox too. The cooks who cook a complete and lovely meal just for themselves because they are worth it. Cdc (constant dining companion) is working strange hours so I dine alone more often than I would prefer. Most cooks have dealt with picky eaters, like my neighbor who loved broccoli but never had it because the rest of her family hated it.
The lack of companionship, except for my dog and cat has me cooking things cdc dislikes. He isn’t that picky at all but shrimp, clams, etc are a hard no for him. So steamed clams are perfect for me. On another sandbox I got the most useful cooking advice ever. A now former member there, Joan, told me all clams and mussels open eventually assuming they are alive to begin with. The creatures who visit my large compost heap are really mad at Joan but I was taught to toss the clams that did not open. But Joan was right! Might take a bit longer but they all open. More clams for me. I always add a bit of dry white wine to the cooking liquid and serve with melted butter. No clams tonight because cdc will be home for dinner. Woot. Pizza with frozen dough bought from Bova for late night. Also playing with oxtails as it is chilly here and a good day to run the oven. Late lunch is leftover non traditional cheese steaks. No mothers day cook out at my house but I feel bad for the locals tomorrow as it is supposed to be windy tomorrow and many people know not to go out to eat on mothers day, the busiest restaurant day of the year. Having a small glass of wine now and I raise my glass to Linda Whit and the others who ace the cooking for one.

9 Likes

WOW!! Soft Shell Crab galore!! Yuummm!!

5 Likes

Finally after months of shortages, Costco had fresh chicken wings today! Buffalo wings and crudités for dinner tonight, maybe with a bourbon drink to celebrate the Derby (though not a julep, they are way too sweet for me).

6 Likes

I finally cooked. We had some CSA and other veggies to use up. I made freekeh w/golden raisins topped with lettuces, cucumber, tomato, lemon-garlic tahini sauce, harissa yogurt, Ras el hanout-spiced sweet potatoes and za’atar-seasoned yellow beets. Added sesame roasted cauliflower, crispy shallots, and cilantro to round things out. Sauv blanc and rosé in our glasses. Some steamed asparagus alongside.

23 Likes

sounds delicious

Uh oh. Is all well with her? A very great cook.

1 Like

Did not want to use her full name but she resides in NYC and is my hero. So many incredible meals made in her apt and mostly for one during the hard lockdown I was so happy when she posted about her two martini lunch alfresco in NYC while her maid cleaned her place. I should pm her but she might be getting bored with the whole omg thanks again for the clam tip. Joan left the group over a dispute with the mod and I miss her so much. She really likes seafood and for her birthday she would get herself king crab legs from Costco. Hero.

3 Likes

Yep, one and the same. Is this the FB group you’re referring to?