What's for Dinner - #81 - the Planting Month - May 2022

Delightful dinner out at a neighborhood izakaya I just happened to pass by yesterday on a wine run.

Marinated & baked eggplant, surf clam on spinach & scallions, marinated mackerel, scallop & grapefruit carpaccio, pork gyoza. Sake & beer on the side. Everything was wonderful, but the open kitchen made for some smelly clothes coming home. I will return for sure, but sit outside next time.

17 Likes

So, is your wife feeling ok again?

1 Like

She is slowly getting there. We just ordered a new expensive mattress with an adjustable base (which is a game changer). It should arrive tomorrow. Hopefully that will help both of our backs.
Thank you for asking.

1 Like

Great weekend with Sis in Maine, and an easy dinner after I got home: Spaghetti Carbonara with peas (bacon subbing for pancetta). There was wine.

25 Likes

We enjoyed another excellent dinner at Fiorentini in Rutherford, NJ including seafood risotto; Chilean sea bass with pesto sauce; sweet pea fagottini; spinach gnudi; and octopus. It all went great with an excellent Amarone and red blend aged in bourbon barrels.

17 Likes

Ok you know I gotta ask - where are you foraging these?

Asparagus, leek and veggie soup using a Taste of Home recipe. Cheddar-bacon-chive biscuits and sliced ham on the side.

My first time making the soup, I cut the cream in half and used a little potato flour for extra thickener. We both found it delicious and each had two helpings. The crunchy little biscuit and ham sandwich on side also was excellent and went perfectly with the soup.

Spinach, leeks, asparagus and chives from the garden.

22 Likes

Looks great - I’d like to take a dive into that soup right now! Biscuits look delicious, we’re having cheesy biscuits and homemade soup (harira) too!

3 Likes

Baked cauliflower ziti. Sweet peas for extra class.

23 Likes

Sweet peas are beautiful, and the cauliflower ziti looks enticing!

3 Likes

braised pork and daikon tonight, following a few recipes. Sichuan-ish, with toasted and ground sichuan peppercorns and star anise. Also shallots, ginger, garlic, bird chiles, white pepper, soy, brown sugar, oyster sauce & fish sauce. Starts in the wok, finishes in a pot. alongside, a stir-fry of TJs baby cauli and leeks with a sauce of soy, sesame oil, and shaoxing wine. All of it was exactly what i was going for, which doesn’t always happen. also made a new batch of thai fried shallots.

last night at my sister’s, made moqueca (Brazilian fish stew), and made my own fish stock, both for the first time. Used cod and head-on shrimp. Turned out delish, even with the cooking time for the fish being way off and even though i pulled it early, it was a bit overcooked. Still good, just not the texture i wanted. But it’s an easy dish and I’d make it again.

good to be back in the kitchen!

26 Likes

Ulster County. But it would be great if I could find some in a random park somewhere.

1 Like

Glad you had fun.

Last night’s dinner was chicken cacciatore.

17 Likes

@mariacarmen: Beautiful pictures as always!
What are those leaves on the braised pork? Cilantro or parsley or?
Those Thai fried shallots are a work of art! Could you share how to make them or a link to your previous post if you have already shared how to make them?
Thanks

2 Likes

Eli - one simple change that made the biggest improvement for me is this knee pillow:

Contour Legacy Leg & Knee Foam… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MFN8FRT?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Total game changer. I’m much more mobile in the mornings and have had far fewer attacks since using it every night.

4 Likes

Thanks for the links! I’m going to make that soup!

1 Like

Used the grill on some bavette from Snake River Farms last night. We also had creamed spinach, radish greens, and ramps, along with roasted radishes. Barbaresco for me and IPA for him.

21 Likes

I can taste that steak! :drooling_face:

3 Likes

Tell me more. Do you roast the cauli first?