What's for Dinner - #81 - the Planting Month - May 2022

Thank you .I’ll be making shnitzel next week with your posted tricks.

1 Like

This looks fantastic! I know chicken breast isn’t considered as “cool” as the dark meat - but it’s what I like most. Really great instructions on “velveting”, a process I have always wanted to try. Thank you so much for posting! (And when asparagus is out of season, I suspect I could use green beans…)

3 Likes

Lol - sure!

It’s from Cook’s Illustrated.

You can access the recipe here (no paywall). The only difference between the blogger’s version and the original CI version is the original CI version uses Active Dry Yeast (not instant or rapid yeast) in exactly double the amount shown in the blog post.

This was one of the first artisan breads I learned how to bake, and I’ve probably made it 100 times since. Never had a fail - its a solid recipe.

If you make it, post your results on the baking thread! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Green beans, or maybe mushrooms?

(I love chicken breast, too!)

Some simple chili with kidney beans and corn - and we also wanted to try some “fake” ground beef with Beyond Meat - it was quite good. Served with corn-guacamole and rice.

17 Likes

That looks lovely!

And good to know about the Beyond Beef. I tried some Quorn meatless grounds and even being careful to not overcook - they were mushy. So I will try the Beyond!

2 Likes

I have worked as a hostess at a couple of places. I was not very good at it and I am awful at remembering faces. I understand that the place was busy but I might have also blamed the hostess a little. That does sound like the couple from hell, Something like this happened to cdc (constant dining companion) and I at our big fancy gym. Most gyms have a let people work through policy but the couple was just using the machine we wanted over and over again, using bad form and lifting much too quickly. We stood there staring and were told by the woman “you just have to wait” I finally figured out that the dude was just following orders. She was really cute. So I confronted the guy when I had the chance and told him “look we only need to do one set each” He let us much to the woman’s angerr. She reported us to the front desk who took our side as there were signs with pictures saying let others work through. I am always polite as anger only leads to anger but I may have said something to the beta of the couple. Not to be crude but I doubt the guy got laid that night.

1 Like

Fabulous Neapolitan-style pizza at our favorite pizza parlor in town, run by Italian punks. I thought they were a lil skimpy this time with the veggies on my pizza, but it’s still one of the best I’ve found outside of Italy. Ortolana (zukes, eggplant, usually peppers 🤔🥺, bufflo mozz), Saporito (radicchio, pecorino picante, salsiccia), and Picantissima (sharp provolone, spicy salami, extra funghi). Their chili oil is 💣

IMG_9276

20 Likes

I think it dried out a bit in cooking too long.

I portion and freeze so many types of meats. I’ve never had the ground ones or sausages be worse for the wear. Sometimes the chicken breast gets a little freezerburn. If I really wanted something, and it was hard to come by, and it was sold in a too-big batch, that’s what I’d do. ymmv.

1 Like

You make a good point. I have a half a lamb share each year, a lot of which is ground, and it often lives in the freezer for half a year. No reason why I couldn’t do that with nduja.

3 Likes

I seasoned brined pork loin chops with Spicewalla’s tandoori masala and pan seared. Sides were saag/palak curry, curried sweet potato and fennel bulb salad with golden raisins, cumin ranch green salad, chaat-masala okra with radishes and tomatoes (and coconut - a riff on Meera Sodha) and (over-toasted) naan. Lots of farm share veg to use up, can you tell?

23 Likes

I didn’t have quite as much leftover from the pozole on Tuesday as I expected to, so I made some lentils and stretched the pozole into a chicken chile verde type thing that was served over rice, with lime and hot sauce on the side. One serving left for a lunch for one of us.

20 Likes

Cilantro-lime shrimp scampi, cauli rice with corn, poblano pepper, green onion. Mango, avocado, red onion, red butter lettuce salad, sweet and spicy dressing. There was tequila to drink and in the scampi.

19 Likes

Mexican-inspired, oven-baked chicken breasts. The chicken pieces are first brined in salt-water, then brushed with olive oil and rubbed with a homemade taco seasoning before baking, keeping them moist.

Leftovers from the freezer included Peruvian rice and homemade refries. Baby garden peas for veg.

18 Likes

Spaghetti with zucchini, broccolini and tomato with sesame dresssing.

21 Likes

Chicken alla-Diavola-under-a-brick, roasted asparagus, and warm cauliflower salad.

I made three things! All this talk about vegetables…

23 Likes

Our little oasis is complete. Enjoyed a French 75 in this gorgeous weather.

Dinner was a Teriyaki marinated NY Strip (slightly overcooked), basmati rice, and steamed broccoli which I finished in cast iron with butter and garlic. Sprinkled with lots of gochugaru.

26 Likes

Thank you so much!!!

Hope to try it this weekend : )

1 Like

Orecchiette with Caponata (eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes, over-roasted red peppers, onion, garlic, rosemary)

14 Likes