What's for Dinner - #81 - the Planting Month - May 2022

Thank you! Her actual birthday was back in February, but living in the US, we generally don’t get to celebrate together.

1 Like

All the more special when you get to celebrate!

1 Like

I made a riff on a Palestinian stew, Fogaiyya. Instead of braising meat I dropped meatballs into simmering homemade chicken broth seasoned with Ras el hanout, allspice, black pepper, cumin, and beef BTB. I also added celery, carrot, and the chard stems and cooked the rice separately. No mastic, either. I cooked the chickpeas from dried. It was really good!

22 Likes

For husband, the always popular (in my home) “Serious Eats Perfect Pan Seared Pork Chop” with house made cauliflower and “Chez Soul” take out collards.

For me, a low and slow cooked pork belly while I don’t watch the Warriors, and wait to watch Top Chef.

19 Likes

Is that onions in there with the pork belly, or something else? It looks delicious, but so did the pork chop too - think I’m hungry now.

4 Likes

Yes; some "spring onions " from my last CSA box!

Sort of what I did.

"Crackin’ Asian pork belly

Smells so good, but will I ever get this dish clean? NBA playoff distraction!

10 Likes

Nice & thanks. We’re having pork pernil with taco fixings, salad and cilantro rice. Smells good & can’t wait! :yum:

4 Likes

I LOVE pernil!

2 Likes

I haven’t been in the kitchen in forever, seems like - lots of dining out (outside - weather’s been pretty nice in SF), or take-out. At my request, tonight the BF made salad for dinner, with kielbasa, fried taters as croutons, olives, pepperoncini, hard boiled egg, tomatoes, shallots, and lettuce from the garden of one of my sister’s clients. Dijon vinaigrette.

22 Likes

gorgeous peeg!

1 Like

yes, please share the secrets of this delicacy!

2 Likes

Prime ribeye on the grill with some garden asparagus. Leftover smashed potatoes optional. A little homemade lemon sorbet for dessert.

22 Likes

Broccoli rabe, roasted with squid, shrimp, coriander, cumin and lemon. Easy meal after a long ass day.

17 Likes

Thank you! I will try it!

You don’t eat the same dish for dinner ?

Usually.

As tempting as it was to go out again – being in the big city n all that, I decided to pick up some Eyetalian food at the local market instead: grilled & marinated zukes n eggplant slices, sepia noodz, frozen seafood mix. An assortment of cheeses - goat, cow, sheep, i.e. Capretta, Monnalisa Forte, Taleggio for ‘dessert’. Wine, natch.

George Carlin doc on the tube. We old :wink:

17 Likes

Here is the pork pernil from last night; the rice to go with was fantastic - cilantro, onion, garlic, stock, jalapeño, confetti bell peppers. Canned black beans, corn and flour tortillas. Pork pernil will be a repeat, everyone loved it. Didn’t get a picture of the whole hunk of pork, dang!

Happy holiday weekend everyone!

20 Likes

Had dinner with my sister at Sunday River Brewing Company.

Libation for me was a combo of Tito’s vodka, elderflower liqueur, grapefruit juice and club soda. Can’t remember the name of it, but it was very good! Sister had an American Mule with some amazing ginger beer, made by Maine Root. Gonna get me some of that stuff!

We shared an app of coconut shrimp with a sweet Thai chili sauce. Sis had fish and sweet potato fries, and I had teriyaki steak tips with sweet potato fries and TPSTOA(sparagus).

And a local guest at the cabin before we left for dinner.

19 Likes

Love the guest.
Amazing time of year.