What's For Dinner #80 - the Silly Bunny with Eggs Edition - April 2022

First post this month for me! So, in one of the first Top Chef Houston episodes, Sam made some weird sweet potato thing that looked delicious, but I couldn’t figure out what was in it. Tried to look it up and the best I could do was a sort of ingredients list. But I had to make an effort, because it sounded so good and all the judges loved it. So here is my roast sweet potato, with miso brown butter and anchovy yogurt. Chives for green and a little sharpness. Crispy garbanzos for protein. And asparagus to break up the otherwise orange/brown meal. I think the toppings on the potato were great. I should’ve put more anchovy into the yogurt. I used 2 fillets for about 1/3 cup yogurt, and it was quite subtle. And the yams were a little on the too moist side. I’d probably go with a starchier sweet potato next time, like the Japanese purple/white ones. But altogether a home run. I love trying things that are just totally unlike anything I’ve tried before!

22 Likes

Neua pat bai grapao - beef with holy basil and chilies. BF and I collaborated on this super simple dish. We looked at a few recipes then sort of went with David Thompson’s, using Trader Joe’s shaved beef. Crispalicious fried egg for me. Nahm pla prik on the side (also for me, too much fish sauce for the BF) and a lovely Thai-inspired tomato salad he made.

28 Likes

Mrs. P made a blackened Cajun dry rubbed burger with blue cheese and caramelized onions on a bed of arugula with fresh grilled figs and mini peppers, as well as shishito peppers in sesame oil and soy sauce, and topped with black sesame seeds. She also made guacamole and chips (not pictured). I also had horseradish flavored Dirty Dill pickles which were really good.

24 Likes

Thanks!

DH smoked a pork butt today after brining it overnight, then coating with yellow mustard and rub. It was a little under for easy pulling but SO juicy and flavorful without being tough. Some of the best I’ve eaten. Sides were Hawaiian loaf, country green beans, cole slaw, and baked beans.

28 Likes

Roasted chicken thighs, potatoes, and leeks with pine nut gremolata. Caesar salad.

24 Likes

Grilled chicken. Macoroni salad
Broccoli. Dinner tonight after last night’s disaster with my best freind. She commented that was horrible. I agreed. I’m putting in what’s for breakfast. Cinnamon roll with chocolate custard donut . Couldn’t believe the yeasty smell when I cut Into it .I’m a fan of day old . Great coffee dippers. Cheers.

26 Likes

that chicken!!

3 Likes

Pan fried shrimps (with cumin, paprika, cayenne, parsley, cilantro, pistachio, lemon juice) with oven roasted kale (just with olive oil, S+P, pine nuts and 5 minutes at high heat)

27 Likes

What a small world - I will be having dinner in Somerville next week! My niece just moved there.

We sometimes smoke our bluefish. Then I usually make it into a pate to eat on toast.

3 Likes

My husband fishes on Cape Cod. When he catches blues, he always smokes them. We make bluefish pate, smoked bluefish chowder, and smoked bluefish cakes.

6 Likes

OH Yum! I’m going to have to try blue fish chowder. That sounds great.

Is bluefish generally looked down upon by Cape Cod fishers? We get a lot of grief for keeping it. Most people throw them back. What does your husband usually go for?

1 Like

Coconut curry shrimp over basmati rice.

There was Scotch.

26 Likes

My husband prefers to fish for striped bass, but they have been scarce and are very regulated - keepers are 28" to less than 35" and only one allowed per day for recreational fishermen. Bluefish are more abundant and the rules aren’t as strict - no size limit and 3 are allowed at one time. He doesn’t always keep 3, it depends on how big they are and how much we have in the freezer. After he smokes them, he vacuum seals them and they keep very well. We have summer neighbors who love a gift of his smoked blues, though. I always prefer them smoked, but some people love them fresh as well. But not everyone loves bluefish as much as white fish…

Here’s the recipe he uses for the chowder he makes - he smokes his in a Big Green Egg after he filets them - seasoned only with soy sauce and a peppercorn blend - but otherwise makes the chowder this way http://wildgreensandsardines.com/2012/12/smoked-bluefish-chowder-2.html

7 Likes

Ha. I thought this is a post about chocolate bunny and chocolate eggs.
Good question. I haven’t thought about how to celebrate in the time of spring (is it really spring, so hot here).
I have been making geoduck for the last two weeks, and almost made a post about it. Unfortunately, the last week geoduck is not nearly as good as the those from two weeks ago, so I didn’t feel like posting anything.

When I get a nice tasting geoduck, then I will post again.

15 Likes

Is it: Cook Korean! A Comic Book with Recipes? I have that one. I enjoyed looking through it, but I haven’t made anything from it. The recipes seem pretty straightforward, which I like.

1 Like

Love the cocktail umbrella!

3 Likes

Haven’t had any geoduck in years. I’ll have to look for it if we make to Manhattan’s Chinatown again.

I was lucky two weeks ago. Two weeks ago, at a store, I saw these small geoduck clams sold for $30 per pound. They were small…etc, but after I prep them, they were pretty tasty and favorful. Very small amount was already favorful. After such a nice experience, last week, I went to a different store, and they have these large geoducks you see in my photo, $10 per pound, inexpensive, big and meaty… unfortunately, very blend and even not smell that great.
They are well and alive. The photo you see I have above is a live geoduck after I bought it home.
I am hoping I will get lucky tomorrow.
Good luck to you too.

2 Likes

Tonight roasted baby bok choy, garlic and onions.
Pan fried mushroom, peppers, bok choy tops.
Roasted sweet potato in a Balsamic reduction.
Unwrapped salmon and it needs to go back to the grocery store.
This was light and refreshing.

@TheLibrarian28,

Yes, it is Cook Korean !
It looks like a good read yet I’m not sure how easy it will be to cook from. I guess that it will take some getting use to.
It was really sweet of DH to pick it up so I’ll give it a go.

Thank you, I saw the umbrella in a hollowed out young coconut filled with Red Curry chicken. Unfortunately, the Restaurant did not survive the Pandemic so I may, one day, try that instead next time.

19 Likes