What's For Dinner #79 - the Carly Simon "An-ti-ci-pay-yay-shun" Edition - March 2022

It’s not a mix. Just the dried squares of kelp.

1 Like

Oh my goodness it would be so amazing with braised mushrooms!!! Thank you so much for that idea!!

3 Likes

I originally planned on making tonight’s dinner last night but we had a bunch of leftovers I wanted to use instead. Sunday/Monday, depending upon your time zone, was Nowruz, Persian/Iranian New Year. A traditional dish for this celebration of spring is Kuku Sabzi, an herb-laden baked frittata. I made it with dill, parsley, cilantro, turmeric, and barberry though the variations are endless. I had some tomato-braised green beans on the side.

I will celebrate any holiday if there is a special food or meal associated with it.

21 Likes

Goddamn, that all looks good.

2 Likes

Leftovers from last night’s Pescatarian Feast for 2 from the Darjeeling Express cookbook. I am pleased to announce that all dishes were even better the next day! The shrimp benefited from adding a little additional butter when gently reheating in the pan.

5 Likes

Your Kuku Sabzi is a thing of beauty!!

Words to live by!!! I aspire to that…

5 Likes

That looks great. You made the dish elegant.

2 Likes

Drool-worthy. Welcome!

Wow, I must say the tips on this thread tonight are awesome.

We had Ina Garten’s Shrimp & Linguine Fra Diavolo. It was filling on its own no room for sides.

25 Likes

Dinner was a rushed affair after little league: peanut cucumber salad, steamed butternut squash and baby cauliflower in flashed black vinegar dressing (borrowed from this), cumin-Sichuan peppercorn roasted asparagus, steamed tofu dressed with oyster, Maggi, and soy sauces, and a little bit of sweet soy-buttered pappardelle (mostly for the T-ball kid). Veg-heavy, which makes me happy.

20 Likes

As always, your plate is so colorful and pretty!

2 Likes

Gorgeous photo!!

That looks delicious, and I love your plate! Is it pottery?

Thank you @GretchenS

1 Like

Thank you we love them everytime we use them.
Would you believe stoneware?
Gibson Elite Dinnerware Set in Cobalt Blue
You can buy it on Amazon.

2 Likes

Thank you. I may have to set a goal of finding at least one holiday a week. I love learning about how others celebrate.

2 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile: I try!

1 Like

Umbrian lentil soup. The lentils and aromatics had been big-batch cooked prior and frozen. To freshen things up tonight I wilted in some garden kale, and served the lentils over newly cooked pasta.

16 Likes

That looks amazing . I’m going to add the recipe to the Lentils thread.

3 Likes

Huh. Well it sounds like you’re doing everything right. Maybe cut back on the bonito? I usually use fish sauce, myself, since I can’t really taste the difference.

1 Like