What's For Dinner #79 - the Carly Simon "An-ti-ci-pay-yay-shun" Edition - March 2022

Sandwich Sunday! Fresh mozzarella, prosciutto, tomato, hot and sweet peppers, balsamic glaze.

23 Likes

Chinese inspired beef stew (made with bone-in beef shank) with Chinese five-spice, ground Szechuan peppercorns, soy sauce, star anise, scallions, chickpeas. Served with braised kale and leeks over rice.

19 Likes

BBQ drums and thighs (Memphis-style sauce), grilled romaine with remoulade-ish sauce/bacon/Gorgonzola, and grilled garlic bread

22 Likes
4 Likes

Welcome! Another PNW is always good news as we might have enough people to start seeing some activity on the regional board. Where are you? Also, I’m curious about your brocollini pests. I always have the worst luck with brassica in the garden - first in the cold part of the spring with slugs and later when it’s warmer with aphids…

1 Like

@Sasha

Hey, Sasha.

We are out in the sticks on the Olympic Peninsula and not big restaurant-goers. My primary interests, food-wise, are home-cooking and gardening.

Regarding broccolini pests, I mostly find caterpillars. If they’re not too pervasive, I just pick them off and submerge my harvest in a bowl of water for several minutes to drown off any I might have missed.

Regarding pest management in general, when planting young starts, I will apply Sluggo (OMRI listed) to give them a fighting chance. As mature plants, and in a particularly bad situation (ie aggressive infestation destroying entire plantings), I’ve been known to use an application of Thuricide or Spinosad (both also OMRI listed). Otherwise, I’m too lazy and disinterested to do any regular applications of pest control in the veg department.

My philosophy is to grow twice what we need, so that there is plenty for both us and for Mother Nature. I steer clear of any varieties with which I have had consistent trouble with pests if left unmanaged (bok choy and brussels sprouts to name a few). I do actively apply pest control to our precious fruits and berries, however - I work too hard for those to lose them!

ETA: Maybe this should be moved to the gardening board?

4 Likes

I adore the Peninsula! We’ve probably done 5 trips there altogether. Typically stay either in Forks or one of the near the beach campgrounds. We explore the Hoh, the Olympics. Did a backpack several yrs ago I want to say it was called 7 lakes loop or something. 20 miles ish. Solduck falls beautiful. Port Townsend lovely. How lucky you are with your landscapes! I agree though not much to speak of re restaurants. I have the Sluggo, I tried beer last year first time. It rains so much though that the beer cups just get diluted and dirty. And yes, brussels (aphids) and cabbage (slugs) are the hardest to keep alive for me too!

1 Like

I haven’t made this pizza - only bought it.

I feel like I need pointers on how to make a good dashi. I typically love it in its various uses in a Japanese restaurant from the miso soup to the tempura dipping sauce. But when I’ve made it at home a couple of times, it has tasted so so fishy. Not at all mild-ish like at the restaurant. It’s just water, nori, and bonito flakes. How hard can it be? Are there preferred brands? Should I keep the water cooler? Should I steep for less time? Anyone who knows please feel free to respond.

If you’re using nori, that might be why. I use kombu, as per this recipe.

3 Likes

And it’s lovely cousin the steam burn. When you lift the top off a stove-top soup or stew and it burns the hell out of your wrist.

1 Like

Tonight‘s dinner was another St. Patrick’s Day offering from the nearby farm: shepherds pie reimagined as baked stuffed potatoes, using the largest potatoes I have ever seen. Served with braised cabbage with the PSTOB. Absolutely delicious - huge chunks of perfectly cooked lamb - which is excellent since I only ate half of the half shown so 3 portions remaining.

26 Likes

I love this idea

2 Likes

Ah, I mis"spoke." Mine is Shirakiku brand “Dashi Kombu.”

That’s a great idea. You could use chunks of corned beef, ground beef, etc. as well. Thanks for posting it.

1 Like

You could absolutely do any of those, and I no doubt will do all of them, because it is such a fantastic idea. But what I really loved about this was that it was not ground lamb but large chunks of perfectly cooked braised lamb under that fairly shallow mashed potato topping and on top of the delicious potato skin.When I make a more traditional shepherds pie there is certainly a higher proportion of potato and other vegetables to meat which I maybe need to rethink.

6 Likes

DREAM dinner.

2 Likes

We ate from our freezer tonight:

Homemade beef vegetable soup from January
Sourdough/Swiss grilled cheese
Pepper slaw for me

8 Likes

Ah, I don’t usually use a mix. I did the first time, but I’m not sure which one it was. It came in a cylindrical plastic container, like a short pixie stick.

Super idea. I can also see this working with braised mushrooms as the filling, which provides me another excuse to eat lots of mushrooms.

5 Likes