What's For Dinner #79 - the Carly Simon "An-ti-ci-pay-yay-shun" Edition - March 2022

NYT’s lemony white bean soup with cumin and chili pepper. Recipe calls for turkey, but I used ground chicken thighs instead. Greens consist of some baby kale from the garden. Homemade toasted ciabatta on the side.

20 Likes

Wow . Always prime your spackle before painting. Yes it will show . Merry spring tomorrow. Cheers .:wine_glass:

I’m glad things are heading in a good direction!

1 Like

That all looks do good!

1 Like

Olé! Olé!

Success with the chile relleno. I discovered I had fresh poblano chiles in the fridge. Stuffed with lots of pepperjack cheese, mole drizzle and cotija cheese. Served with crispy tortilla tacos. Seasoned beef, lettuce, pico, cheese and taco sauce. And tequila sunrises.

19 Likes

I bought mine across the border in California, only paid $24.99, plus tax of course. I think I got a bargain.

1 Like

We enjoyed another fabulous dinner at James on Main in Hackettstown, NJ. Besides the usually awesome hand cut fries, duck leg confit, pork belly, mushroom bisque, and prosciutto San Danielle salad with figs, we enjoyed specials of venison and hake. It all went great with an excellent Shiraz and Gigondas.

13 Likes

Brined chicken thigh. Sauteed in duck fat . A little rosemary, garlic and pepper to flavor . Mashed potato with pst

ob to flavor. . Carrots that I am to again . Of course the lucky horse had plenty of raw ones . Yea. I’m gambling on the tournament. It’s been like 38 years. Cheers very flavorful.

21 Likes

Irish Coddle tonight with bangers, sweet potatoes, carrots, onions. Soda bread.

23 Likes

Wow, I used to hear old deli men joking about “Fat is flavor” so to hear servers only wanting to do lean? :open_mouth:

Lean is good. Many folks want or need to do lean. But you should have a choice.

2 Likes

To be clear, it was my BIL who did all of the work. My sister and I made a Home Depot run, took out trash, and went and got chicken parm sandwiches for lunch.

And the spackle we got needs no priming. Goes on pink, dries white. My sister has used it at their cabin and says it works great.

3 Likes

Where is the gadget from? I need a set.

Part of the reason that Jewish delis are hard to find in the San Francisco Bay Area is that fat is a three letter word.

2 Likes

Dinner tonight was a break from leftovers from the family visit (we ate them for lunch, though :joy:)

We had my mom’s signature Paya / (goat) trotter soup with fresh Pav (rolls). So delicious - and sticky!

20 Likes

Ya, I pretty much do the same as here: https://www.ouredibleitaly.com/recipe/pasta-with-mussels-and-pecorino/

I use these that I get at Rainbow:

And thanks. It is fab, and a favorite.

6 Likes

Slow-cooked bone-in chicken thigh curry using Patak’s paste, extra onion, garlic, and ginger, a bit of extra spice, and crushed tomatoes. Served with yogurt and cauliflower rice (not pictured).

18 Likes

Dinner tonight is the Pescatarian Feast For Two from the Darjeeling Express cookbook by Asma Khan.

• Macher Malaikari (coconut based fish curry)
  • Phali Ki Sabzi (green beans with garlic and cumin)
  • Chingri Bhaaja - Stir fried shrimp
  • Basmati Rice

We’re exceedingly stuffed and are looking forward to leftovers tomorrow!

18 Likes

Overstuffed corned beef and sauerkraut half sandwich on awesome sourdough with mustard and horseradish. So so good! The annual corned beef is mostly about the leftovers…

22 Likes

I went with comfort food tonight for several reasons, even though the meal was better suited to yesterday’s gray and rainy day. But it also cleared out some freezer space upstairs. Plus I didn’t have time to plan it yesterday. So it was WFD today.

Meat loaf was made with a pound of meat loaf mix (1/3 lb. each of ground beef, pork, and veal) augmented with two 1/3 lb. beef hamburger patties. An egg, 2 tsp of Worcestershire sauce, s/p, 2 heaping Tbsp of caramelized onions, 1 Tbsp of dried minced parsley, and about 1/3 cup of Panko crumbs were all smooshed together, and formed into a loaf to fit in a regular-sized loaf pan. A bit of Panko sprinkled on top, and it was baked at 350° for about 1 hour, 20 minutes, pouring out the excess liquid 45 minutes into the cooking.

Defrosted Guinness Beef Stew gravy was the topping for slices of the meat loaf.

Mashed Yukon Gold potatoes and some defrosted leftover mashed gingered sweet potato were mixed together and that, and baby peas, were the sides.

Along with some wine.

24 Likes

My quickie hybrid fried rice noodles / egg foo young / frittata with egg and vegetables, and my vegetarian version of Olia Hercule’s dad’s borscht with ginger.

20 Likes