What's For Dinner #79 - the Carly Simon "An-ti-ci-pay-yay-shun" Edition - March 2022

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on the WFD thread. I haven’t read through all the Deliciousness occuring here but from what I’ve seen the food looks Spectacular!

Today, I made a big pot of Sweet Potato and Pork Chilli some for the freezer and the rest for the next few nights.
P.S. still trying to figure out how to upload a photo.

26 Likes

That sounds great! Welcome.

3 Likes

After Friday’s debacle with a “woody” chicken breast (not posted), I’m trying again with a cut that hasn’t been reported as such anywhere that I’ve seen.

Buttermilk-Marinated Chicken Thighs

16 oz. buttermilk
1/2 Tbsp sweet paprika
1/2 Tbsp kosher salt
1/2 Tbsp freshly cracked/ground pepper
1/2 Tbsp sugar (optional)
2 tsp minced fresh garlic
1 tsp Penzeys Roasted Garlic Powder (because I didn’t have enough fresh garlic)

3-4 large BISO chicken thighs

Olive oil
Mike’s Hot Honey
Additional paprika
Flake sea salt

Blend first 7 ingredients together and pour over 3-4 BISO chicken thighs in a Ziploc bag. Squoosh it all together to cover the chicken with the marinade, squish out the air in the bag, seal, and marinate in fridge for 8-24 hours (I did 8).

Preheat oven to 425°.

Line a baking sheet with foil, then put a cookie cooling rack on top. Remove thighs from marinade, allowing enough to drip off. Put skin side up on rack, drizzle with some blended olive oil and Mike’s Hot Honey, dust with some additional paprika and flake sea salt, then roast for 35-40 minutes, lightly drizzling with a bit more oil and honey halfway through.

Sides were convection oven-roasted potatoes with lots of ground pepper, salt and Penzeys Tuscan Sunset blend, and steamed asparagus.

It came out very good. There was wine.

P.S. I still don’t like DST.

21 Likes

Welcome to the HO WFD thread, @Olunia! To upload pics, click on the up arrow :arrow_up: at the bottom of your new but not-yet-saved post. On your phone, that should bring you to your photos gallery where you can pick and choose. I’ve personally found it easiest to upload one pic at a time so I can separate them a bit with a return space for easier viewing.

2 Likes

Hi, Hungry Onion folks! I am one of the many folks migrating over here from Chowhound. Dinner tonight (and probably through at least Tuesday or Wednesday) is Spaghetti Pie from Food and Wine magazine (as a new user, apparently I can’t post links). Added some ham and swapped out the spinach for a bag of broccoli slaw that needed to get used up. Also, doubled the ricotta, but cut back the milk by 2/3s. Used a 10" springform instead of 9" to accommodate the extra ingredients. Baked as directed.

28 Likes

Welcome @Amandarama !

Finally cooked the hanger steak.

25 Likes

Petite filet of Wagyu beef on the grill. Grilled asparagus. Yum yum sauce.

18 Likes

I’ve missed posting a few dinners because the grandson was born late Saturday night! All is well. :grinning:

Dinner tonight was blackened shrimp tacos. An old Cooking Light recipe.

With some leftover salad from a Friday lunch out with my oldest friend!

27 Likes

Chicken thigh piccata, zucchini and carrot fritters with aioli. Caesar salad.

22 Likes

Variation on Ropa Vieja - as with any “famous” dish there tend to be as many variation/recipes as there are cooks. But this one was interesting as normally the rice is cooked and served separately but here the broth used to cook the beef was also used to cook the rice and ultimately everything was mixed together. The flank steak was cooked in a mixture of beef broth, celery, onion, garlic, sherry vinegar, soy sauce, cumin, coriander, smoked paprika which later gave great flavor to the rice.

16 Likes

Hi @Amandarama and welcome!

Great job on the photo gallery, btw!

1 Like

Hi @Olunia!

In addition to uploading single pics as @LindaWhit described with the :arrow_up: on the bottom right, there is also a photo gallery option in the menu above the box as you’re typing — that enables you to upload multiple photos that show up as a gallery that can be scrolled left and right, like amandarama’s post.

8 Likes

Thanks @Saregama,
I’ll take another look. I was trying to do that and it wouldn’t let me today but I think that was around the time of the issues with the site. It was telling me to upload the photo between 2 paragraphs with some odd characters.
And I laughed because what is the upload button that @LindaWhit was referring to is what I thought was used to print the post ! :rofl:

2 Likes

French fries

21 Likes

Congratulations to all!

6 Likes

Well, looks like I can learn something new every day!

4 Likes

Thank you! Your steak looks great! I have a couple of those on order from Snake River Farms that should be arriving soon. I love that cut!

Thank you!

1 Like

Made Buzhenina, a Ukrainian/Russian - inspired pork shoulder roast with red wine, oregano, garlic and parsley .

20 Likes

Breakfast for dinner last night. Cherry tomatoes were discovered behind something and hastily thrown in the oven to roast and mushrooms had been taunting me from the fridge because I could not for the life of me remember what I bought them for. Leftover pork chop and duck egg.

21 Likes