What's For Dinner #79 - the Carly Simon "An-ti-ci-pay-yay-shun" Edition - March 2022

Haven’t post for a while in WFD, due to boring repetitive meals and a busy schedule.

Tried to make Peking Duck on Sunday, inspired by the videos on the restaurant Li Qun Roast Duck Restaurant in Beijing. From the various videos, their method is to apply hot water to the uncooked duck to prepare the skin, then apply a kind of syrup. Then I let the bird dried out a day in the fridge. And prepare a broth inspired by a recipe I had as Li Qun’s broth is a top secret. The broth is poured into inside the duck during the wood fire cooking. Result, not bad, but felt more a smoked duck than a Peking duck! I think the way the fire is used made a lot of difference, probably a smaller flame is preferred.

24 Likes

Welcome! Looking forward for your delicious meals in WFD!

Thank you!

2 Likes

@naf that is gorgeous!!

2 Likes

Ooh I’ll have to see if I can find it here…

1 Like

Taco Monday - we had leftover rib eye (gasp) from dinner out on Friday (I had the steak, BF had a burger, and it was a huge steak) so BF made little carne asada tacos out of it. I didn’t want any big sides, just a simple, taqueria-style dinner. He did gild the lily a bit with a small quesadilla, too.

18 Likes

Welcome - always room at the table - especially with shrimp tacos on the menu!

4 Likes

Thanks, for the chile itself I followed the Oaxaca style version at the end of this video more or less

where there is a layer of batter in the pan, then the chile is added, and then the rest of the batter spooned over it. I used an Anaheim pepper b/c my grocery store doesn’t have chiles de agua.

For the sauce I followed the one from this recipe:

but thinned it out a little with broth.

9 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

I am 5 days into a pescatarian Lent. Tonight I made eggplant with baharat spice blend and ginger, potatoes, salad, beans and lamb kofte (purchased at Sobey’s grocery store) for my family.

I’ve started doctoring canned baked beans with tomato sauce with curry powder, Kashmiri red pepper and minced ginger.

16 Likes

Thanks for posting the link. We love Chile Rellenos, but I’m really lazy when it comes to prep, so I usually have been making more of a Chile Rellenos casserole lately. I’ve been growing poblanos the past 2 summers. I’ve made something like this : https://www.bhg.com/recipe/casseroles/chiles-rellenos-casserole/

3 Likes

Pork chops with mashed cauliflower and red cabbage.

24 Likes

Last night: baked chicken cutlet with honey-garlic sauce, roasted/blistered/charred broccolini, and basmati rice.

Tonight: not much of a looker. A three-egg scramble with Amylu chicken breakfast sausage (truly would not tell the difference), asparagus, red peppers, and Gruyere. Toast and hash browns (not pictured).

21 Likes

Joining in here after many years at Chowhound. It’s clear my photo quality will need to improve to match HO standards, but here’s one of tonight’s dinner - Sheetpan cod on potato rafts, with lemons and capers. From p.81 of Sheetpan Suppers by Molly Gilbert, with added dashes of lemon pepper on the cod. I’ve made this a few times now, and it’s equally good with sliced sweet potatoes as rafts.

30 Likes

Thanks so much!!!

1 Like

Yay! So good to see you here!

2 Likes

BF, killing it again. Smashburgers and shoestring fries - - that’s his knifework! and he put my chopped up kimchi in between the patties, as requested. Excellent. tiny blue cheese salads on the side with the last of the romaine.

28 Likes

I made thin chicken cutlets, portabello mushroom caps stuffed with cream cheese, blue cheese, mozz, Grana Padano, shallots, and garlic, white radishes glazed with sauternes and soy sauce, and garlicky sauteed radish greens. A little bit of leftover Mexirice for anyone who wanted.

23 Likes

WELCOME!! Hope you brought others with you!

2 Likes

Drool!