What's For Dinner #79 - the Carly Simon "An-ti-ci-pay-yay-shun" Edition - March 2022

I will tweak it because I’ve never used kiwi in a marinade before. I normally use Asian pears or apples or pineapples. But I LOVE kiwis and they aren’t as sweet and yet help break down the protein just like some of the other fruits I use.

4 Likes

oh baby…

omg i love galbi too, but those look awesome.

1 Like

I am usually pretty good at labeling but not always. Like @MunchkinRedux, I’m not good about labeling little bits of leftovers. And I always swear I’ll be able to tell the zhug from the pesto when I put them in the freezer but never can. Unfortunately they are not often interchangeable.

3 Likes

Last night I had TJ’s quinoa dolmas to start followed by a beany concoction: white beans, spicy chunky marinara sauce, smoked paprika, and baby kale. Amped up the sauce with bay leaves, halved onion, etc. Topped with cubed Greek feta and served with ww pita. Pretty good for an easy dump meal. I blame @gcaggiano for the Greek-ish craving.

25 Likes

We were supposed to dine out at a nice restaurant tonight but Mother Nature had other plans :frowning_face_with_open_mouth: On to plan B; Mrs. P’s famous Andouille sausage pizza with leftover country ribs. I had already decanted an excellent Chateauneuf Du Pape which didn’t go to waste :slightly_smiling_face:

19 Likes

Apologies, what is TPSTOB?

3 Likes

Ribeye (from FarmBoy) with Joe Beef’s Butcher Blend (my favourite Mtl Steak Spice) and a Waldorf.

17 Likes

An acronym coined by @mariacarmen for my frequent use of “The Proverbial Shit Ton Of Butter”. Let’s just say I like a lot of butter on my baked potato. So the acronym is MUCH easier to write than all of the words.

9 Likes

Busy errand day in the rain and wind. Might actually get a new half bath soon, depending on my BIL’s upcoming work schedule! That’ll be nice not having to go up to the 3rd floor every time. :wink: And since he won’t take payment for the work, I’ll feed their freezer. So my sister makes out as well.

We’re near the end of stew season, but my sister perked up when I suggested a batch of Pork, Sweet Potato, and Apple Cider Stew, as it’s one of my favorites and freezes well. And it clears out almost all of the unpasteurized apple cider in my downstairs freezer.

So during today’s rain, wind, and blowing snow, a stew was made, and served on mini lasagna noodles since I didn’t have enough egg noodles.

There was wine.

24 Likes

Could you share your recipe for your stew? I might possibly be able to get back into my spouse’s good graces with that (we’re having a bit of a cold spell at the moment, unrelated to the weather)…

As an aside, we haven’t been able to find egg noodles anywhere for a few weeks on the outer Cape.

7 Likes

“Butchering” a hanger steak from D’Artagnan with my new Global slicer.

We’re having pizza!

20 Likes

I coined that for The Proverbial Shit-Ton of Butter. It’s the proper amount of butter for everything.

8 Likes

This piece of sinew/cartilage/tendon running through the middle seemed the most important to remove.

6 Likes

NY Strip drizzled with Bearnaise sauce, steamed asparagus, and a baked potato with my everything bagel butter from last week. A+ for a Saturday night.

To drink: a Sake-tini. Good…but not good enough to make again. Ginger slivers added for garnish.

A hungry cat looking on.

32 Likes

Ina Garten’s Crispy Chicken With Lemon Orzo.

My first time making this recipe, I was surprised how moist the chicken breasts turned out. The crispy skin didn’t hurt anyone’s feelings, either. Dredging in flour and cooking in a ton of butter make it a bit rich for regular rotation, but the method is solid and I’d make it again when the mood strikes.

The baby peas were my addition to the orzo – we still have a lot in the freezer from last year’s harvest to work through before the new spring peas come in.

26 Likes

Tonight I made lightened up creamy chicken and gnocchi stew. I cut back on the bacon, upped the veg, and subbed evaporated milk + cornstarch for the heavy cream. The kiddo really liked it (phew). Around 500 cal for a bowl and a half.

I’m having a really delicious Champagne for dessert.

27 Likes

Everything but the kitchen sink, or maybe clean out the fridge, dirty martini rocks…

Coconut shrimp with orange marmalade, mustard, horseradish sauce. Clean out the freezer rice combo (pilaf and pineapple) Cabbage slaw with celery, golden raisins, carrot, sunflower seeds and creamy dressing.

25 Likes

Nice looking drink there! A “Gin Salad” as my bartender friend would say!

4 Likes

Finding out what TPSTOB is your Hungry Onion baptism.

6 Likes