What's for Dinner #78 - The Hearts, Candy, Flowers & Slushy Snow Edition - February 2022

I fully intend to try this: https://www.thekitchn.com/grandmas-roasted-potatoes-recipe-23228311

4 Likes

Pork ramen and the rest of the pickled daikon.

14 Likes

More Serious Eats “Perfect Pork Chops”, baster with teeny tiny shallots from last year sauted in ghee. A pain to peel these little shallots but not a total waste of time.

With leftover fennel and apple slaw.

14 Likes

Stir fried cauliflower and tofu curry from the Myers-Chang cookbook (Asian fusion restaurant in Boston). The curry sauce was quite good and made from red Thai curry paste, Madras curry powder, light brown sugar, lime juice.

12 Likes

Ideas - because my house also hovers around that temp in the winter. Thermostat at 68 but lots and lots of windows. Anyway, some spots in your house are naturally warmer and you can try rising your dough there. Are warm spots are near the printer in the office (inner core of house) and bathrooms! Heat vent but a much smaller space to heat. You can also rise your dough in the oven with the lightbulb turned on. But this may actually overheat and bring it up to a good 75-80 degrees and proof your dough faster than you want it. So you could turn the light on and off as needed.

3 Likes

I made grain bowls tossed with this smoked red pepper dressing from Chow. The base was farro and I added spinach and arugula blend, grape tomatoes, cucumbers, radish, cilantro, scallion, toasted sliced almonds, and artichoke hearts. Topped with garlic-chili shrimp. DH commented that he really likes this dressing. Negroni to whet the appetite.

16 Likes

February 4th, 2002. It’s been 20 years at my company (which has changed names once and business focus about 3 times as digital marketing has changed). I walked in to The Tannery in Newburyport 20 years ago to see about 6 months worth of filing that hadn’t been done by my predecessor. I hate filing. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Granted, it’s been a big part of my job…kinda goes with the territory with my Secretary, Administrative Assistant, Executive Assistant, and Administrative Manager roles throughout my (so far) 43 year career. But I still hate it. :wink:

Somehow, however, I’ve muddled through the ups and downs, the sideways and slantways and longways and backways, and somehow, I’ve been here for 20 years. :flushed: How the heck did THAT happen?

Ended up being very quiet at work, as there were only 5 of us in the office today due to the weather. I ordered lunch from the restaurant next door (which I do every Friday anyway for those of us in-office). But I did receive flowers ordered by the Controller. And another long-term coworker said her (locally ordered) flowers will probably come on Monday. :rose::rose::rose:

So I decided to make myself a nice dinner…filet mignon, roasted Herbs de Provence potatoes, and asparagus with a lemon-pistachio gremolata.

Wine? :wine_glass: Well, of course! And Godiva chocolates that came with the flowers as my dessert.

26 Likes

What nice recognition! Congrats.

2 Likes

Congratulations! i can’t imagine having worked anywhere that long… i think my longest was 8 years. a testament to your stick-to-itiveness! i’m sure they’re grateful and happy to have you. that dinner looks excellent.

2 Likes

Freddy’s had sockeye on sale. Crusted with , oo, Cajun seasoning, garlic, fennel fronds and grilled it. Corn, bell peppers, onions and cilantro were sauteed. Mixed greens, cuke, radish, red onion and creamy Greek dressing. There was a Manhattan, and wine and there will be
Tillamook Oregon Hazelnut and Salted Caramel ice cream for dessert.

13 Likes

BF had been hinting about salisbury steak again. never in my life would i have thought i’d make it twice in a month’s time. but it’s really like the most tender meatloaf ever, and i only added maybe a half TBS of flour so it was again more like a glaze than a gravy, though saucier than last time. I also used a whole big package of crimini shrooms because you can never have too many shrooms. I’m going to try adding some red wine to the sauce next time. BF made his buttery mashed potatoes, and sauteed zucchini with parm regg.

(full disclosure: BF is having ongoing dental issues that aren’t going to end anytime soon, hence most of the “soft” dinners we’re cooking now. sigh. it’s a new world, but we’ll be just fine.)

19 Likes

Yes, another peppercorn encrusted steak. I have steak once a week, and I’m simply going to use this method until I get sick of it! Accompanied by steamed asparagus and skillet potatoes, done in cast iron with butter and olive oil while the steak was resting. The hack here is using canned potatoes, which prevents me from needing to parboil them and guaranteeing that they will be crispy on the outside and not raw inside using such a high flame and hot pan.

Stoli rocks to drink.

17 Likes

I have canned potatoes in the pantry . They are so overlooked. I was a skeptic until I used them . I have whole and sliced .

4 Likes

I became a fan about a year ago when I found a can and used them in something. They worked perfectly in a layered Moussaka I made a couple months ago, and of course, in various breakfast dishes. Tonight I just didn’t feel like cutting/slicing/parboiling, so canned it was.

I think a lot of people today get skeeved with canned veggies, but potatoes are different. Probably the only thing from a can I’d willingly eat.

They’re a wonderful hack and I’m not ashamed to admit it.

4 Likes

Congratulations. The longest I ever made it one places was 13 years but I had 11 different jobs during those years. I get bored easily.

3 Likes

9 Likes

I love that building. We used to stop by often for some fun shopping combined with a Plum Island visit.

1 Like

I get fed up with b.s. easily. Usually takes me about 3.5 years to decide I’m sick of working with or for a-holes, or of caring more about a business than the owner, before I pull the plug for sanity’s sake. :laughing:

To keep this on topic(ish), I’d like to find/create a job in food where I could work for myself. Maybe I should start a business where you can send you favorite teacher/new parent/infirm friend a homemade meal or treat…?

11 Likes

What did you do with it? :broccoli:

1 Like

Funny, I get bored and fed up with the imbalance of impatience. Any business requires a good supply of patience and people skills.

Good thing HO’s are high caliber folk.

Dinner was supposed to be mustardy salmon but the fish was spoiled when I unwrapped it. Had a big “Elaine” salad instead.

Returned the fish this morning with all the patience I could muster. Who returns fish….apparently I was fed up.

Tonight, reboot.

8 Likes