What's for Dinner #78 - The Hearts, Candy, Flowers & Slushy Snow Edition - February 2022

Oh, I’m not out of ice cream…but who couldn’t use a little more. The last time I was there I intended to get 2 pints and walked out with 6.

5 Likes

The kiddo and I made Hazan’s minestrone alla Romagnola in the IP (saute + slow cook). I cut back on the oil and used Grana Padano in place of Parm Regg. Served over shell pasta.

16 Likes

For my third weekend extravagant meal, I splurged on lamb stew chunks from Wegmans yesterday for a Lamb Tagine tonight. The price was insane, but it fit in to my weekend’s extravagant meal theme, so…

I went with the NYT recipe (also on Delish under “Moroccan Lamb Tagine” if you don’t have a login to the NYT).

I essentially cut the recipe in half, but played around with the spice amounts to adapt to my taste (meaning I added more ginger, cardamom, clove, and turmeric than a half recipe would call for) for everything except the lamb and tomato paste…I thought it said 1 TB vs 1 tsp for the tomato paste. Adding 1 Tbsp didn’t alter the taste any; I actually thought it enhanced it!

I forgot the toasted slivered almonds, and deliberately left off the dreaded cilantro.

I made creamy mashed potatoes and honey-lemon-ginger glazed carrots alongside as well as pouring several glasses of wine.

It was ALL excellent.

19 Likes

those scallops - Chef’s kiss!

2 Likes

I was inspired by all the Salisbury steaks but I only had ground pork so that is what I used. Mushroom gravy and mashed cauli. Salad of mixed greens, tomato, onion, pickled beets and blue cheese dressing.

12 Likes

We enjoyed an outstanding dinner at the Poached Pear Bistro in Point Pleasant Beach, NJ. It was our first, and certainly not last time time there, and worth the 2 1/2 hour round trip. The dining room was very nice, and service was very friendly. We enjoyed poached lobster on top of a crab cake, wonton, spinach, and truffled mashed potatoes; veal porterhouse over mushroom risotto; short rib carpaccio; duck confit ravioli; and fried asparagus. It all went great with an excellent 2010 Napa cabernet sauvignon.

10 Likes

Out for dinner the last two nights, both for reviews, which are upcoming. One was more Indian at a nearby new chaat house, so we had leftovers, which the BF made good use of tonight. He made beef kofte, heated up the leftover veggie rice biryani, Manchurian cauliflower (an Indo-Chinese dish, said the menu), which he reheated in yogurt, and some store-bought, locally made hummus I had on hand. Tasty fridge clean-out.

i browned up cut-up pork shoulder this afternoon and then let it simmer in my defrosted enchilada sauce for about an hour or so. Pork chile colorado will be part of dinner tomorrow night.

15 Likes

i’ve thought about doing one with a combo of pork and beef… looks great!

2 Likes

that risotto looks PERFETTO!

1 Like

Shrimp po’ boy and a sazerac.

16 Likes

Spaghetti alla Maradona . Bread crumbs. You have to make these yourself. No bag or canned. Peperoncino, parsley, garlic , olive oil, Parmigiano reggiano. Green beans with tomato. Cheers. Very tasty.

15 Likes

Nice!

1 Like

Eggplant/pesto/mozzarella stacks, spaghetti squash with herb sauce and roasted squash seeds. I saved one of the stacks for another time - I think I screwed up the “serves one” calculation. Or the recipe was designed for much heartier appetites than mine. Anyway, it was good! How could something with this much cheese not be?

13 Likes

Chicken stew as a fusion dish between Germany and Thai - first made chicken stock with chicken legs , celery root, carrots, onions, juniper berries and leek. Later used the chicken stock and meat with yellow Thai curry paste, ginger, shallots, broccoli, mushrooms, butternut squash, coconut oil roasted rice and Thai basil.

11 Likes

Beautiful sear on those scallops. I fight with getting that level of crust and not over cooking the scallops

1 Like

EXCELLENT! i need to make a Sazerac now…

1 Like

Hi Christina,

You inspired me to try this recipe, too. I used fresh, small potatoes. I don’t even know if we have canned, cooked potatoes available here in Zurich. I boiled them a day before, let them cool overnight in the fridge, then gave them the oven treatment for an hour. Crisp on the outside, creamy on the inside. My wife was especially pleased with the result.

2 Likes

Curious if you enjoyed. I was also inspired by the salisbury chats, and so also made it. But mistakenly with pork, rather than intentionally. I thawed a brick of ground meat without looking at the label, and when I was ready to cook, it was pork. I went with it, but didn’t enjoy it. The addition of bread crumb panade with grated onion left the whole thing a very soft texture that is weird when eating meat. So it was a thumbs down over here…

Thanks! Preheating a stainless steel skillet on medium heat for about 3-4 minutes seems to do the trick for me. Then I add a bit of oil and butter to coat the pan, placing the seasoned scallops in for barely 2 minutes for the first side and barely 1 minute for the second side. These were also very dry scallops. I put them on paper toweling for a couple minutes and blotted the tops, but there was very little moisture. So I lucked out in my purchase.

4 Likes

Nice! Thanks for reporting back.