What's For Dinner #77 - the "Let's Start Anew" Edition - January 2022

Yowza!

1 Like

You continue to amaze…

1 Like

This looks awesome. Somehow, my attempts at ribollita never wow me - I feel like I’m just slurping up slimy bread chunks. I need to try again because the concept of ribollita is quite appealing to me.

And I like the Lambrusco pairing.

1 Like

Amazing! And I love :heart: the Cantina Zaccagnini Montepulciano d’Abruzzo.

1 Like

Can almost taste that gorgeous baklava through the screen. Oops, I might be drooling on my phone.

3 Likes

I used a recipe that toasted the bread and I added just before serving plus saved a few as a topping.

8 Likes

That’s the only one we didn’t get to!

I’m not a wine guy. I’m trying but it’s still not there.

1 Like

Slept in.
Even the boyz allowed it.
A relaxing day.

Dinner was pork chops with mushroom sauce, patterned after the one linked below.

My changes:

–a combo of minced onion and shallot for 2 chops. And nowhere near the amount for 2 chops…maybe 1/3 cup total?

–probably 6 oz of cremini mushrooms. I wanted LOTS of mushrooms.

–heavy cream instead of coconut cream, and I added the cream near the end of reduction vs at the beginning, but before adding the chops back in to the sauce.

Orzo with butter and dried Bouquet Garni herbs and steamed broccoli alongside, as well as wine.

22 Likes

I made a corkscrew pasta bake with meat sauce, roasted zucchini, dollops of a mixture of cottage cheese, Grana Padano, mozzarella, garlic, parsley, and egg and more mozz over top. A big green salad with cucumber, tomato, marinated artichoke hearts, and croutons tossed with peach-sherry vinaigrette on the side. My friend made an amazing vanilla bean cheesecake from Melissa Clark’s Dinner in an Instant.

21 Likes

We enjoyed another fabulous dinner at Cafe Panache in Ramsey, NJ. We enjoyed garlic shrimp salad with eggplant caponata; panko crusted swordfish with wasabi sake sauce and forbidden rice; the always awesome lobster bisque with mussels; excellent veal osso bucco cappellacci with truffle butter and bordelaise; and the always outstanding coconut cake for dessert. It all went great with an excellent cabernet.

9 Likes

I was really craving my fried asparagus but I didn’t have any. However, I did have string beans. So I fried them up and made a garlic aioli

Dinner was a Costco rotisserie chicken and mashed potatoes. A martini to drink.

20 Likes

Chicken Adobo Tacos (chicken thighs braised in white vinegar, soy sauce, dried chilies, tons of garlic, cinnamon stick) with a tomatillo-avocado salsa (from Wes Avila’s book Guerilla Tacos - if you like some creative tacos I can only highly recommend the book)

And a salad of fennel, cucumber, radish, parsley, dill and chives with a honey-mustard vinaigrette

15 Likes

It was supposed to be the New York strips I’ve been pre-salting for two days now, but we “weren’t hungry” so

I thought there was something called bagel chips, but I couldn’t find them so I toasted these from Thomas in my “air fryer” and topped with Nova smoked salmon, capers, and dried, toasted onion from Whole Spice. And some “cream cheese spread”.

I was reminded that “cream cheese” is scarce.

11 Likes

Day three of small h’s experiment in keto (ish). Shaved celery salad; curried smoked tofu, carrots and greens. I’m not hungry, but I am looking longingly at the bagels in the freezer.

IMG_1087

IMG_1089

9 Likes

Exciting to read IP cheesecake works. I have yet to try it even after buying the pan and cookbook.

2 Likes

My second time making tetelas. Pretty easy to make, for me easier than tortillas which need that gentle transfer to the griddle. A tangled mess if the transfer isn’t perfect. The tetelas are not as delicate to handle. My new fav Mexican meal.

19 Likes

Mushroom risotto had to happen after we received these beauties. Golden oyster and black pearl oyster mushrooms from a mushrooms and microgreens CSA share we’re trying this winter.

Special stuff, so I wanted to do dinner right by making the risotto extra mushroomy.

I made a quick stock out of mushroom stems stashed in the freezer, plus a carrot past its prime, and the outer layer of the leek I chopped up for the risotto itself. Then I braised the oyster mushrooms in butter and water until tender. Set them aside for the topping. Popped a bunch of quartered baby bella mushrooms into the rice halfway through the cooking time.

Here’s the finished dish with beet microgreens to garnish. I’m calling it triple mushroom risotto. And you just know there was a hunk of Parmesan and a microplane for grating cheese at the table.

19 Likes

They look wonderful!

1 Like

I made navy bean soup with kale and bacon. Turned out well. Appetizer was some chili cheese tallow fries and imperial barrel-aged bourbon stout.

20 Likes

Aww. And I’m trying “Bagel Thins” .

1 Like