What's For Dinner #77 - the "Let's Start Anew" Edition - January 2022

WFD - in our regular rotation and occurs maybe 3x/yr, an Asian style beef noodle soup. The big kid is home from school and loves it, so it was made. Weirdly, he found the broth too spicy, which it absolutely was not even slightly spicy. Wondering what sort of extra spice wimpitude he has picked up at college. With brisket, rice noodles, bok choy, and scallions.

18 Likes

Yum! Share the recipe?

1 Like
7 Likes

i’ve made that recipe before! delicious!

1 Like

I tinker with it, but yes, it’s a great base for whatever big hunk of beef is lying around.

1 Like

or actually, maybe it was this one:

i like that yours has the sichuan pepper corns.

7 Likes

Actually it’ll be fun to mix it up. I’m going to bookmark this one.

1 Like

yep, i often mix and match similar recipes.

In fact, just perusing the ingredients list, there is a lot of overlap. I personally hate making spice satchels with cheesecloth. I’d rather throw everything into the stock and then strain it after… to each their own :slight_smile:

1 Like

here’s another i think I tried.

again, there is overlap.

4 Likes

I must say, the only thing good about me WFH is planning that night’s dinner in less time than I’m in the office.

6:00 a.m Wakeup revealed a bounty of white stuff outside. Yeah. I’m not driving anywhere.
6:45 a.m. Dragged my ass out of bed and made the effort to make myself presentable.
9:00 a.m. Last minute Zoom call proved prescient. And made me thankful I did the whole “make myself presentable for work” thing.
9:15 a.m. to 2:30 p.m… Work work work. But also
12::00 noon Marinate marinate marinate.
2:45: p.m. Go out and shovel the driveway because you didn’t take a lunch break.
3:30 p.m. Return to the house because you’re freezing cold but find out the PSTO :poop: has hit the fan while you were out. Because of course it has.
5:30 p.m. Manage to wade your way through the PSTO :poop: by day’s end with a glass wine by your side.
PRICELESS.

Getting back to my first sentence: Dinner was steak tips marinated in an old favorite red wine marinade I made up back in the 1970s, baked tater with TPSTOB and sour cream, and roasted Brussels sprouts with s/p and Urban Accents Manchego and Roasted Garlic Seasoning blend.

Did I mention wine? Thank hell it’s Friday.

21 Likes

Hah, what a coincidence! Just made that one, with added daikon and carrot. Winter food, yeah?

16 Likes

Yes exactly! omg i love daikon…

1 Like

I really dislike the bounty of white stuff . Shoveling , snow blower . Ick . Luckily I found a guy down the street with a back hoe . So much better . At this moment the snow is melting faster than the wicked witch of the west . High 40’s through next weekend . Your dinner looks fabulous. Of course there was wine on a Friday. Right there with you . Cheers. :wine_glass:

2 Likes

BF sliced the grilled brisket from this weekend super thin. He made au jus for his, heated his slices in that, and for mine, a quick dash in a hot pan, a little mayo on the bun, and my chimichurri. I tasted his au jus - good! so often i find au jus bland in restaurants. The meat was incredibly tender. His potato salad, and a 1/4 wedge salad each.

We totally forgot to use the caramelized onions we made specifically for these!

17 Likes

Greek Night! And an easy night for me: mom made pastitsio and BF made baklava (30 layers of phyllo, two hours, three sticks of butter, and a ginormous blend of pistachios, almonds and walnuts!). All I had to do was open the wine!

22 Likes

Dak kalguksu a la Maangchi

20 Likes

A discussion of beans and bread on another thread reminded me of Ribollita. I had all the fixins’ except kale but I had swiss chard in the garden so 'twas kismet. A salad of cukes, tomatoes and onions with a balsamic & oo dressing. A pre dinner Manhattan to warm the bones after a day of cleaning up the front deck from last nights wind and wine with.

18 Likes

Cod with a mustard-bread crust finished under the broiler, mashed potatoes with milk, cream cheese, thyme and nutmeg and some briefly sautéed vegetables (green and yellow zucchini and red pepper)

13 Likes

That looks SO good!