What's for Dinner #76 - the HO "Ho, Ho, Ho" Edition - December 2021

The biggest peelability improvement I ever experienced was when I started to steam the eggs (put them on a rack above already steaming water) instead of boiling them starting in cold water. Night and day.

4 Likes

Me too. Which is probably why doing them in the IP works so well.

3 Likes

I don’t have an IP, but boiling to steaming took me from 50% hard to peel to 5% hard to peel.

4 Likes

Me too, even with farm fresh eggs.

4 Likes

Tonight I made turkey lettuce wraps with carrot, turnip, mushrooms, a little jasmine rice, ginger, and garlic. Except it was salad because the leaves were too small for wraps. Sesame-peanut cucumber salad and chicken-cilantro wontons as the side.

16 Likes

Made a soup/stew borscht with pork. Used the last beetroot, green cabbage, yellow and red onion, that explained the brown instead of the deep red colour but the taste was fine. I used also the remaining chicken carcass broth I made a few days ago for another soup. Trout roe, avocado, pink radish, black tomato and arugula salad.

17 Likes

Soup night for us, as well. Froze broth from the turkey carcass and leftover dark meat. Made turkey noodle soup. Thanksgiving’s last hurrah!

14 Likes

(no description necessary)

Uh-ohhhhhhh

12 Likes

I like the little dish for eyeglasses. :joy:

2 Likes

Meh, not a fan of that fortune. Tired, cliché. Sorry.

4 Likes

Bought that in a little shop in Savannah after my cataract surgeries…I have about 10 pairs of reading specs now all over the place, but never where I need them. Very frustrating.

2 Likes

Soup here too, I’m, craving soup. Caldo de pollo, salad with ranch dressing, warm tortilla chips.

15 Likes

More soup: mushroom, steak, barley, veal broth.
Screen Shot 2021-12-08 at 7.25.06 PM
And tonight, pantry quiche: green chiles, fresh goat cheese, mushrooms et al
Screen Shot 2021-12-08 at 6.16.46 PM

16 Likes

Chicken “Curry” (not really a “classic” curry but just mixed a few things together) with cauliflower, yellow pepper, mango, chicken breast, curry powder, chicken broth and coconut milk. Served over rice

12 Likes

I want to get one that says where the F is my phone

5 Likes

^ If you find something like this, please post. :laughing:

2 Likes

Whole wheat spaghetti with a ton of oyster and lion’s mane mushrooms and beet and broccoli microgreens (standing in for arugula). This would have benefitted from a splash of dairy in the sauce but I am dialing back for awhile.

Not that anybody’s asking, but I did join a mushroom and microgreen CSA to liven up our winter meals. New to me. Let’s see what happens.

14 Likes

that quiche looks splendid!!

do you have a “recipe” or notes on how you made yours?

Unexpectedly delicious rice bowl: yellow rice, excellent spicy (but not hot) Sinaloa-style pulled pork (“chilorio”) I Goldbelly’d from Picos awhile ago (10/10 would get again, same with the cochinita pibil), RG moro beans perked up with Valentina black label, avocado slices drenched in lime juice, radish, lime crema. So good! Since there are two more servings, good thing!

12 Likes

Chicken.
How to use?
So many ways.
What else to use up?
Red grapes.
What spice haven’t I used in awhile?
Ground sumac.

Dinner created.

A BS chicken breast was drizzled with olive oil and seasoned with ground sumac, dried thyme, salt and pepper (essentially za’atar without the sesame seeds).

Pan-seared in a skillet in a bit more olive oil for a couple of minutes each side. Red grapes and quartered shallots added to brown for about a minute, then a hefty glug of white wine was poured in. Let it simmer for less than 30 seconds, and the skillet went into a 375° oven to finish cooking. (I had to add another glug of wine halfway through so it didn’t go dry.)

When the chicken was done, removed it and the grapes and shallots with a slotted spoon. Let the wine reduce a bit, added a Tbsp of heavy cream to “sauce it up”, and added the grapes and shallots (with any accumulated juices) back into the skillet.

Sliced the chicken and put it on Basmati rice, spooning sauce on top, green beans alongside as well as a glass of wine…

And dinner.

17 Likes