What's for Dinner #76 - the HO "Ho, Ho, Ho" Edition - December 2021

Last night was crispy chicken cutlets, green salad, TJ’s butternut squash pasta with brown butter, cream, and sage, and a saute of turnip and fennel. A gross TJ’s French viognier - WAY too oak-y.

Tonight was IP paneer makhani with naan and Meera Sodha’s Chaat salad topped with TJ’s spicy chakri mix.

16 Likes

that risotto looks and sounds amazing! i would never have thought to cook with Ricard…

1 Like

please do tell which TJs Viognier it was, so i can avoid too!

I got the inspiration from some Bouillabaisse recipes cooked with pastis, so I guess if the anise flavour works with the fish soup, it should work with scallops too, as fenouil is a good match with scallops.

4 Likes

so true, of course!

So what did you think of using buttermilk? I’ve never considered it, but it would be healthier. Was it tangy? Or did the flavor fade away behind all the eggs and chunky things?

Here’s a composed salad with smoked salmon, creamy Dijon mustard sauce, and leftover mashed potatoes that I repurposed into little potato cakes.

15 Likes

This one. Really not to our tastes.

1 Like

thanks! i’m a non-oaked white wine gal, mostly.

2 Likes

I should have scanned it first, but I was in a rush. I did get another TJ Russian River bubbly rosé on your reminder.

2 Likes

Serious Eats’ super easy Chicken Chile Verde in the IP, perfect comfort food on a cold day. Tomatillos and three kinds of chilies, but it was really very mild. I fried up 2 tortillas and cut them into wedges, letting them soften and almost fall apart, just to get some of that corny flavor we love. Swirled in Mexican crema, and topped with a bit of Monterey Jack and scallions. Very enchilada-ish without any of the fuss.

18 Likes

“Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness” Oscar Wilde. Just what I was craving and the plating was so pretty, how could I not. No wine so I used a Serious Eats recipe using vermouth and added a Caesar salad. Asparagus was from Mexico. Apertivo was a Fiero and tonic.

19 Likes

One of those meals that doesn’t look like much but packs a wallop of flavor. Made use of what I had on hand: boneless skinless thighs marinated with Adobo, Sazon, and Jamon flavoring, and yellow rice, gandules, and green olives. Some grilled buttered tortillas on the side for good measure.

There was vodka.

14 Likes

It does give it a slightly tangy flavor overall. Not overwhelmingly so, however. I enjoyed it. It almost has the body of heavy cream, but not quite the calories, but gives the added creaminess for a quiche. I’m sold - if I have it for future quiches, I’ll use it again!

5 Likes

Awww, thanks! And your meal looks wonderful! I love shrimp and scallops but forget to have them more often. This type of meal is perfect for them.

1 Like

And I LOVE this coaster! (Website reads a bit differently being located in France. :rofl: )
Having looked it up, it looks like a beautiful place!

“Harry’s Bar was born on November 26, 1911 on Thanksgiving Day, (a sacred sign for an American bar).
It is a bar literally dismantled from the 7th avenue of Manhattan (pre-prohibition 9 dry states) and reassembled rue Daunou in Paris.”

https://www.harrysbar.fr/language/en/#history

4 Likes

Had some rib eye and crab leg left from our weekend feast, so I decided to repurpose some leftovers. Steak tips Oscar!!

16 Likes

A Bloody Mary at Harry’s New York Bar was a bucket list item for me on our last trip to Paris.

11 Likes

Freshly caught striper, “marinated” with turmeric. Served with a coconut onion sauce based on a recipe from 660 Curries by Raghavan Iyer, one of my favorite books. The sauce was a little thin for my taste so I added some coconut milk and since I had some kale to be used up, added that as well.

15 Likes

Thanks for the inspo - mapo tofu for dinner tonight!

2 Likes