What's for Dinner #76 - the HO "Ho, Ho, Ho" Edition - December 2021

The BF made Chef John’s pierogis, recipe on All Recipes, which I posted last week sometime, i think. These turned out divinely!

3 Likes

Such a sweet face. So sorry, @mariacarmen .

And yes, let’s hope 2022 is better than the past 2 years…fingers crossed.

2 Likes

thank you El. xoxo

1 Like

Thank you for the compliment! I have to work on the filling. It was a bit dry and I’m thinking either I used gr pork that was too lean or I should have sauteed the cabbage a bit less.

2 Likes

i try to get the fattiest ground pork possible (usually from an asian grocery store) and i don’t saute the cabbage first, just slice very thinly and mix with all other ingredients.

But those look fantastic!

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile: I will try both of those tricks. I think anything pan fried looks delectable, so I can’t take too much credit if they are photo-droolworthy!

1 Like

So sorry to hear about Lola 🥲 Thank you for posting the pierogi recipe.

1 Like

I made unstuffed cabbage roll casserole. It was tasty if a tad bland without sour cream on top. Collard green slaw (leftover from lunch) alongside

16 Likes

I forgot to post our Christmas Eve meal. Thai green tofu curry over jasmine rice. Eaten in front of a cheesy Christmas rom-com.

14 Likes

I went all Bacon Cheeeeboigah-y tonight with ketchup on the bottom of a lightly toasted Jessica’s Brick Oven brioche roll. And I hit a perfectly medium-rare. Yay me.

Cheeps alongside. Just cheeps.

But I’ll probably have another half of one of the lemon cheeeeesecakes I made for Christmas for dessert. With fresh raspberries.

18 Likes

What!?! No wine?

7 Likes

Dinner of the last few days.

Yay, I’ve learned to empty a Bresse chicken. Actually, it was more a capon.

After half an hour of struggle…

Guts

Had it roasted, and cooked with white wine and mushroom. The crispy skin was amazingly good.

A few canapes
Smoke salmon, cucumber, lime juice, balsamic vinegar jelly, fresh onion, and roe

Last last garden beef tomato, Parma ham and burrata

Wild boar cooked with beer and smoked bacon, celery root fries

Veal sweetbread in a lemon cream, grapefruit, smashed Jerusalem artichoke with its deep fried skin

Kobe beef and a miso noodle, the fat was yummy.

And there were desserts!
Crepe with caramel cooked apple and Cavardo

Of course, there was panettone, with chocolate

21 Likes

Wow. Just wow!

1 Like

My dream .

1 Like

so impressive! I bet that chicken was fabulous!

1 Like

BF made us smash burgers tonight - extra beefy delicious. and his potato salad too…

15 Likes

Wow is right! Will you (or can you?) do anything with the cockscomb?

1 Like

thank you. and you’re very welcome.

1 Like

Ok, now we need a cooking show, or at least a few YouTube vids! It all looks amazing, truly.

1 Like

Scungili Marinara, otherwise known as conch. This Italian-American classic is hardly on any restaurant menu any more and is sold only canned at the supermarket. It is very tender and needs to only be heated in the sauce before serving, in this case over linguine. Most people see or hear “Scungili” and go, “What’s that?” I don’t know why it’s not more popular because this stuff is delicious!

15 Likes