What's for Dinner #76 - the HO "Ho, Ho, Ho" Edition - December 2021

I made old skool lentil crunchy tacos with homemade salsa, sour cream, lettuce, and avocado mash. Mixed greens with creamy Tajin-lime dressing on the side. The lentils were amped up with beef Better than Buillon and some ranch dressing mix - no apologies!

PXL_20211202_231408533~2

18 Likes

I LOVE ankimo. I had it once many years ago and ask for it at every Japanese restaurant we go to. Most of them look at me like I’m crazy. Every once in a while a place will have though its never on the menu.

2 Likes

ankimo is pressed monkfish liver, so yes, more compacted, “meaty”.

that sounds wonderful!

i’m a huge fan, too, and so spoiled i hate to admit that after getting it every single time my sister & i had take-out sushi (about once a week during the first year of the pandemic), we stopped ordering it this year… maybe time to start up again. it’s great stuff!

Since our neighborhood Argentinian-style steakhouse (Lolinda) doesn’t offer outdoor seating, BF recreated one of our favorite meals there: Rib eye, yuca fries, palmito and avo salad, chimichurri, and roasted potatoes. Frozen yuca made for slightly tougher fries than when he makes his from fresh, but everything was still uh-mayzing. Hopefully we’ll get to sit at that dark and lovely bar again someday soon…

20 Likes

A bowl of mini penne, Italian sausage and roasted tomato sauce with a sprinkling of asiago cheese and parsley. Green salad with o&v dressing, charred garlic bread.

15 Likes

A day off today but didn’t feel like it. The rent is going up and I literally had to DoorDash to pay off a medical bill. God bless America. The bill was outstanding since my GI issues in May. I had wondered why I never got a bill. Time passed and I forgot. They had been sending it to my old address. They called today to settle up.

I had wanted a liquid dinner but there was chicken in the freezer, potatoes that survived being mashed on Thanksgiving, asparagus and assorted cheeses in the fridge. Dinner became an easy and tasty roll-up. Swiss and Provolone were the cheeses. Bread and chili infused olive oil to start.

Down the hatch.

18 Likes

Gosh, isn’t everything better when served on a wooden board?

3 Likes

Glad you were able to resolve your medical bill. They can haunt you. Your dinner looks yummy.

2 Likes

it really is!

indeed! what a strange folk we are. glad you got it fixed!

that bread with the oil sounds lovely.

3 Likes

Typical lentil stew with carrots, leek, linguica, thyme, rosemary and smoked paprika. Finished with some goat cheese and a little bit of olive oil.

14 Likes

Several of the vendors at the greenmarket where I shop offer it occasionally. It’s not difficult to prepare - just wrap it in a tight cylinder, steam and slice.

Wow. Somebody else has discovered cod liver! Unfortunately for me, I’m relegated to mostly having it on Ritz crackers, since outside of occasional anchovies my regular dinner partner will have nothing to do with canned fish.

No need. Dear old Amazon has several brands/versions of cod liver. I have bought many, from Amazon and elsewhere, including “French” ones, and AFAIK it all comes from Iceland anyway, despite the French on some of the cans. And since Iceland is a small place, one might suspect it all comes from basically the same producer.

Look closely at the can.

1 Like

I am so jealous. It is very hard to find here in central NJ though I imagine it may be more available in other areas, especially near NYC.

Interesting. I’ll have to pay better attention at our local markets. There are a few fish mongers around that sell locally caught monkfish. I wonder what they do with the livers. And if they do whether I could make in the appropriate style.

He’s a keeper!

2 Likes

Yum. Smoked paprika in lentils is one of my favorite combos. I also like to add a squeeze of lemon at the table. Or a little drizzle of balsamic vinegar if I’m feeling fancy.

4 Likes

I’ve also just sauteed it. I think it’s very good that way, too.

I made a pot of ginger turmeric turkey and carrot soup to drive away the blahs on a gray, cold Thursday. It’s over here at the soup thread.

4 Likes