What's for Dinner #76 - the HO "Ho, Ho, Ho" Edition - December 2021

You never do anything halfway and I love it! That is my kind of meal and one gorgeous tree!

2 Likes

I’m willing to be adopted. :laughing:

4 Likes

I had planned on making pizza tonight, but that changed on Friday when the original place I was going to order our Company lunch from was closed, for some reason. Quick last minute pivot to our local pizza place for an order of 6 pies plus some salads. No way I was having pizza again. So I made a light meal to use up some pancetta and spinach for tonight.

A spinach, pancetta, & Monterey Jack quiche using mostly buttermilk in place of heavy cream.

Did a blind bake on a Pillsbury pie crust while whupping up 4 eggs, 3/4 cup buttermilk and 1/4 cup half and half, sauteed pancetta and spinach, grated Monterey Jack, lots of freshly ground pepper and some freshly grated nutmeg.

Into a 350° oven for about 40 minutes (although it could have used another 5 minutes), then a rest for about 15 minutes.

Some red grapes alongside. Well, there were also some white grapes. But those were in liquid form. :wink:

17 Likes

Damn good beef stew, salad, ranch dressing, garlic bread.

15 Likes

Beef and bacon (processed in the food processor to a paste, sauteed for a few minutes) burger topped with gorgonzola and caramelized onions

17 Likes

We enjoyed another fabulous dinner at James on Main in Hackettstown, NJ including tuna carpaccio with grapefruit, pinenuts, and avocado puree; duck leg confit with homemade chorizo sausage in a watercress puree; black bass with miso and coconut curry; short ribs; an amuse of salmon roulade with radicchio, pomegranate and red onions; flourless chocolate cake and sticky toffee pudding. It all went great with an exceptional 2013 red blend and 2005 Syrah.

10 Likes

:hushed: So like a bacon schmear? If so, be still my heart!

Or does it separate out after cooking? Or do you form it into a thin patty? Inquiring minds…!

3 Likes

We roughly cut up some slices of bacon and processed them to a paste in the food processor. Then cooked it in a pan for 4-5 minutes to render some of the fat but not that it gets in any way crisp (still pinkish color). Next we drained the bacon paste in a fine-meshed colander (you can use the fat to make the caramelized onions) and cooled the bacon paste to RT. Once it is cooled down we carefully mixed it with ground beef and made the patties. This way you get very moist patties on the grill with a nice balanced mix of beef and bacon flavor

9 Likes

Quiet day.
Easy dinner.

Shrimp Scampi, using Penzeys’ Florida Lemon-Pepper seasoning, minced shallots, garlic and white wine for a “sauce”, Basmati rice, and asparagus.

Wine.

19 Likes

I combined two Maangchi recipes to make a braised pork belly and kimchi dish with potatoes, but no tofu. Made with a paste (gochugaru, gochujang, minced garlic/ginger, sesame oil, s&p) that you rub the meat, potatoes and onion in, but then i added a bunch of my chopped kimchi (pretty sure it’s over a year old). Super homey, spicy, warming dish.

also made Serious Eats’ chicken chile verde in the Instant Pot for tomorrow’s dinner.

17 Likes

White chicken chili.

Right recipe, wrong picture.

I’m going to try @mariacarmen 's aka Serious Eats chile verde next time.

11 Likes

Dinner at an Irish pub in PA tonight. We had a so-so lunch here a couple of years ago, but this was very good! For appetizers, we shared spinach dip and curry shrimp. As for meals, mom and I each had corned beef Reubens (one of the best I’ve had) and BF had the Irish bacon cheeseburger with Jameson sticky sauce. And yes, that’s curry sauce for our fries! Despite saying they were short-staffed and to please bear with them, service was friendly and excellent.

17 Likes

Sundays are often a good time for longer cooking projects but work is crazy in the moment and so we had to rely on something fast - Spaghetti Carbonara (this variation added raw garlic with egg-cheese mixture and it gave the dish a nice subtle background flavor)

17 Likes

Mapo tofu for dinner.

18 Likes

Murgh malai, Moroccan carrots and kachumber.

15 Likes

:yum:

2 Likes

Love asparagus! For us, asparagus means spring here, you mostly see them during that period. So just curious, are yours imported or local green house?

1 Like

H brought home some fresh scallops in shells. Made 2 dishes with them. The delicate white flesh went to sashimi.

The remaining coral and the lace like frilly membrane became a delicious risotto. Broth was made with some prawn shells and heads. Used Ricard to cook the rice with shallot and garlic, added the broth and the frilly thing while cooking the rice. Seaweed salt, red Kampot pepper, Yuzu butter as seasonings, tossed with grated 20 month old Comté and the last shiso from garden.

22 Likes

Stunning!

2 Likes

Thanks. Time consuming to clean, but the scallop sashimi was really good.

2 Likes