What's for Dinner #76 - the HO "Ho, Ho, Ho" Edition - December 2021

^ If you find something like this, please post. :laughing:

2 Likes

Whole wheat spaghetti with a ton of oyster and lion’s mane mushrooms and beet and broccoli microgreens (standing in for arugula). This would have benefitted from a splash of dairy in the sauce but I am dialing back for awhile.

Not that anybody’s asking, but I did join a mushroom and microgreen CSA to liven up our winter meals. New to me. Let’s see what happens.

14 Likes

that quiche looks splendid!!

do you have a “recipe” or notes on how you made yours?

Unexpectedly delicious rice bowl: yellow rice, excellent spicy (but not hot) Sinaloa-style pulled pork (“chilorio”) I Goldbelly’d from Picos awhile ago (10/10 would get again, same with the cochinita pibil), RG moro beans perked up with Valentina black label, avocado slices drenched in lime juice, radish, lime crema. So good! Since there are two more servings, good thing!

12 Likes

Chicken.
How to use?
So many ways.
What else to use up?
Red grapes.
What spice haven’t I used in awhile?
Ground sumac.

Dinner created.

A BS chicken breast was drizzled with olive oil and seasoned with ground sumac, dried thyme, salt and pepper (essentially za’atar without the sesame seeds).

Pan-seared in a skillet in a bit more olive oil for a couple of minutes each side. Red grapes and quartered shallots added to brown for about a minute, then a hefty glug of white wine was poured in. Let it simmer for less than 30 seconds, and the skillet went into a 375° oven to finish cooking. (I had to add another glug of wine halfway through so it didn’t go dry.)

When the chicken was done, removed it and the grapes and shallots with a slotted spoon. Let the wine reduce a bit, added a Tbsp of heavy cream to “sauce it up”, and added the grapes and shallots (with any accumulated juices) back into the skillet.

Sliced the chicken and put it on Basmati rice, spooning sauce on top, green beans alongside as well as a glass of wine…

And dinner.

17 Likes

Ho-Ho-Ho it’s the season for Pho!!

3 Likes

Errrr, not the way I cook. Just eggs (4), Mexican sour cream, milk, sauteed aromatics, cheese(s). Sorry. I’m a really sloppy cook!

2 Likes

how long do you bake it for and about what temp, please?

As I remember, 400F for 15 minutes, 350-75 for 40. As I said, I am an intuitive and slovenly cook.

Tonight, still getting rid of the Thanksgiving ham → scalloped potatoes with ham (and onions and cheese)
Screen Shot 2021-12-09 at 5.00.04 PM
Screen Shot 2021-12-09 at 5.00.27 PM
Asparagus / Green Goddess on the side
Screen Shot 2021-12-09 at 5.00.15 PM

18 Likes

but apparently a good one!

thanks!

3 Likes

Dumplings! Pork/cabbage/ginger/scallion filling, steamed and served in chicken stock I made today, simmered with ginger & garlic. I’d planned to pan fry a few of them so I made a dipping sauces, but BF said just put some in the soup and we’ll save the rest for another day. Sauces were used, in the soup, in the rice, on the dumplings. Small cuke salad too. At some point, i got tired of the pleats and started folding them flattish and crimping the edges with a fork. We have more in the freezer, and half a lb. of pork filling for tomorrow night’s dinner in another incarnation.

22 Likes

The century old authentic recipe of corn tacos filled with turkey-feta meatballs with avocado-tomato salsa and finished with some more feta.

18 Likes

this is soooo up my alley!

2 Likes

“The century old authentic recipe…” :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :rofl:

3 Likes

Those dumplings are stunning! Kudos!

3 Likes

Thank you!

And the leftovers, as a late night snack. BF pan-fried them. Went great with my martini.

19 Likes

Both versions look fabulous! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

thanks! nothing like a porky dumpling.

4 Likes

words to live by!

2 Likes