What's For Dinner #75 - the " Thanks and Giving Season" Edition - November 2021

Agreed!

1 Like

Take a look at Kenji’s lastest take on no-knead, or low-knead, bread.
Low-Knead Bread

4 Likes
4 Likes

Thanks. Hadn’t seen that.

1 Like

Thank you for the no-knead bread info, @bcc and @rooster. Perfect timing.

1 Like

Visuals always help me when baking. I tried the method using a stone round and dome instead of SS and was happy with the results. I posted this photo before but this is what I use to bake no knead bread.

10 Likes

Cin-Cin!
French 75 Martini

Made them Friday and Saturday nights.

10 Likes

Lions and Tigers and gin oh my!! Some of my favorite drink ingredients right there - yum.

1 Like

They look sumptuous, could I have the recipe please?

1 Like

A few recent dinners: pasta carbonara with prosciutto, and garden salad, corned beef, baked and glazed with a carmelized peach-habanero sauce, roasted, seasoned red potatoes, and zucchini sauté with onion;, finally, house made tomato and roasted red pepper soup with grilled cheese and sautéed mushroom & onion sandwiches. Warming and satisfying for a stormy night.

19 Likes

Slept in.
Finally got rid of the DST Drag. I hope.
Quiet day.
Patriots won, big time.
I’m sucking wind in my football pool this week, so it’ll be my points toss-out week.

Dinner was TJs pork belly with a glaze of melted black fig paste, white wine, and ground ginger, convection oven-roasted baby red potatoes in olive oil, s/p, and cracked dried rosemary, and steamed asparagus.

Wine.

19 Likes

Hope you enjoyed! Looks delicious!

1 Like

One of those things I don’t have a recipe for, but will tell you how to make. Very simple: its like breading anything.

Dip asparagus in flour, then into egg, then into breadcrumb mixture (Italian and panko blend). Pan fry. Sprinkle some salt before they totally dry, Voila! It is done. When I’m breading chicken, lately I have been forgoing the flour but breadcrumbs do not like to stick to asparagus so I go the extra step to make it more glue-like. This also works out well in an air fryer if you have one and want to save some calories.

My mom made them for years. I’ve never seen anyone else do it but her. They gradually became requested for Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc, but like I said they rarely ever make it to the table.

14 Likes

I googled recipes but yours looked better than any I found. I think it is the combo of bread crumbs and panko that did it. Ta.

1 Like

Breaded ground pork patty, mashed cauliflower, pork gravy and broccoli salad. Fizzy Lambrusco.

17 Likes

Venison Bolognese with carrots, parsnip (why is it so hard to get parsley root in the US), leek, celery root, morrels, black beer, warm spices

18 Likes

Earlier this week I made (and forgot to post) Cook’s Country’s pasta e ceci. It was very good - I probably oversalted a tad but we liked it. With broccoli sauteed with garlic and lemon (was better before I added the lemon!)

We went camping for a long weekend with friends and friends of friends. Our contribution the first night was crudite, bread, crackers, and assorted dips (spinach, ranch, pecan-pineapple, and black bean hummus). I also made shells and cheese and chili for the main. Pumpkin cookies with white chocolate centers for dessert. Lots of red wine.

22 Likes

Well that sounds delicious!

Celery root?

BF and I collaborated on a cottage pie. He started it off while i worked for a while and then went for a long walk, and i finished it when i got back. Beef broth in the ground beef, and a little flour so it would thicken up, plus the usual seasonings/veggie. I added some tomato paste for a bit of sweetness when i got home, then mashed the taters with sour cream, 1/2 and 1/2, TPSTOB, parm regg mixed in and again on top after dotting with butter, and finally under the broiler. This looks decadent (and it was) but it’s only an 8-inch pan and we used only 1/4 lb. of gr. beef.

19 Likes