What's For Dinner #74 - The Long "Fall Into Darkness, Warmth & Comfort" Edition - October 2021

Hear me holler! Would love your recipe, and I know I’m not alone. Many thanks.

1 Like

Happy to. This is my adaptation after a number of tries. Sometimes I add herbs or cheese.

4 large eggs (at room temperature is best)
1 1/3 cups whole milk also at room temperature
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp. saffron threads (optional, but worth stirring in as the last step)

Preheat the oven to 450°F and place a 6-cup popover pan inside of it.
Combine the eggs, milk and olive oil in a blender and blend well. Add the flour and salt and blend for maybe 15 seconds, scraping down the sides of the blender. Remove the hot pan from the oven. Grease it with nonstick spray or brush with olive oil. Evenly pour the batter into heated pan about 2/3 full.
Bake for 15 minutes and reduce the heat to 350°F and bake for another 15 minutes. Do not open the oven for the entire baking period. :grin:
Remove the popovers and slit the bottom of each one with a knife to release steam which prevents soggy popovers.

Let me know how you like them.

14 Likes

Free and cooked by you. :smirk:

2 Likes

Vegetarian bolognese.

IMG_0287

And celery soup with potato AND cream, 'cause that’s how I roll.

IMG_0284

10 Likes

Copied and printed out! Many thanks! I may make these for grand-kids tomorrow morning.

1 Like

Not quite.

Bittermelon

1 Like

I could eat 5 dozen of them without the pasta, right off the half shell, raw off the rocks of the craggy Costa Brava Capes.

I love fresh raw clams and raw oysters too …

Have a nice wkend.

Saturday: Oyster Enjoyment on Cape.

8 Likes

Ha! Oh man, I used to say that too. Learning how is more fun.

1 Like

You are very welcome.

I’ve always wanted to try popovers but can’t justify buying a popover pan to experiment. Will a standard muffin tin make a passable substitute? Or is there another pan you’d recommend? Thx

If you use a muffin pan they just wont rise as high but it still works. I would try a small batch and see if you like the results. 2/3 fill still applies.

4 Likes

Thanks! I’ll do that.

What’s on top of the ones in your second picture?

My sister coined the phrase popover pusher. She hasn’t made as many muffins since popovers have appeared on the table.

I made a mixture of melted butter, puree garlic, lemon zest and chopped fresh oregano. Brush on right out of the oven. Only tasty hot and enjoyed right away.

4 Likes

That sounds yummy.

If you wind up like I did.

Locally this pan is reasonably priced.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/our-table-trade-6-cup-textured-popover-pan-in-beige/5552946?skuId=69644346&store=1079&enginename=google&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_bakeware_local&product_id=69644346&adtype=pla&product_channel=local&adpos=&creative=538318382101&device=m&matchtype=&network=g&utm_campaignid=71700000085834694&utm_adgroupid=58700007303582391&targetid=92700065555513066&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp7D2qJjy8wIVxsqGCh11HAgeEAQYASABEgK3T_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

1 Like

Friday Lunch …

7 Likes

Thanks for confirming the building in one of your pics as the old Hop Kiln Winery @mariacarmen! Always thought it was a cool looking place, and also interesting to hear the update. Brought back some great memories, so thanks for that! Meant to respond for forever almost…

3 Likes

I can’t (sweet) bake for shit (not do I care to as I don’t have a sweet tooth so B covers the sweet baking dept in our house) but when I had a popover for the very first time at Bascom Lodge atop MT Greylock in Western MA, I finally “got it.” It was like eating baked clouds whilst being in the clouds.

3 Likes