What's For Dinner #74 - The Long "Fall Into Darkness, Warmth & Comfort" Edition - October 2021

The kiddo and I made creamy pumpkin soup for dinner. Served with croutons and crusty rolls. Cream-cheese frosted pumpkin cookies for dessert.

13 Likes

Karl’s is always nice - also good German cakes and some decent German style roles in the freezer.

2 Likes

Mr. Sun showed up today with some blue skies, and temps have increased so the heat I turned on Friday night is back off.

My local Hannaford had whole chickens and chicken thighs on sale for $.89/lb. yesterday. So I fed the very full downstairs freezer with one roaster and a package of thighs, and made another roaster tonight.

Meyer lemon halves, rosemary and thyme sprigs inside the cavity, a mixture of fresh Meyer lemon zest, s/p, and minced rosemary and thyme rubbed on top and air-dried in the fridge all day.

Into a 425° oven for 15 minutes, then temp turned down to 350° for the rest of the cooking time (just under 2 hours for the 6.5 lb. clucker).

Some pan drippings and chicken stock with a slurry of flour, s/p, paprika, garlic powder, dried parsley and water made the gravy.

Sides were buttery sour cream and chives mashed potatoes, and steamed green beans with toasted almonds. Wine with, and the Patriots won. :football:

A good Sunday.

17 Likes

My favorite way to roast a chicken. Around our house that’s actually our preferred Thanksgiving bird. Yum.

2 Likes

Gorgeous looking roasted chicken.

1 Like

We enjoyed another outstanding dinner at Bloom in Verona, NJ. We enjoyed chicken cordon bleu with sautéed kimchi Brussel sprouts; American wagyu beef carpaccio, coated in ginger, with citrus soy and scallion oil; crispy chicken wings with a soy garlic glaze; fried shishito peppers with the same soy garlic glaze; and bulgogi tacos, among other things. It all went great with an excellent cabernet.

9 Likes

Chicken piccata. Leftover cornbread stuffing.

And shrieking children.

14 Likes

7 Likes

There is so much wrong with this.

2 Likes

Bonus points for use of an actual diaper??? (I did put clear wrap down between them so nobody actually ate out of a diaper)

dinner out with friends on Friday night, i’ll be writing that up for the SF Board (Anchovy Bar - by the owners of State Bird Provisions - absolutely wonderful.)

At my sister’s Saturday, i made Samin Nosrat’s linguini alle vongole - we INHALED it. killer recipe. called for two different kinds of clams but my fishmonger’s littlenecks had all opened so i just used Manila clams. I’m not sure if I could tell the difference anyway in a dish like this. Super good & garlicky. that recipe is a keeper.

And tonight, old school Italian gravy with meatballs and spaghetti. Yes, i made pasta two nights in a row! Meatballs and Italian sausage simmered for about 2.5 hours. Pretty much followed this recipe for the sauce and I think it’s going to be my go-to from now on.

I cut the recipe in half and there’s still enough for like three more dinners. neither one of us could even finish our plates. Steamed asparagus with butter, lemon and a little parm on the side for something green, and garlic bread from leftover baguette. Oof.

I’m braising short ribs now for another dinner sometime this week.

17 Likes

October has always been a month for not a lot of cooking and a lot of missed Ranger games since I am rarely home! Thus ends this absolutely insane and hellacious month of fundraising events at my museum which is haunted and quite the attraction in our area this time of year. Normally we do our own private party/ghost hunting thing on Halloween night as a celebration for the month being over, but everyone was too tired and we decided to let the ghosts have the place to themselves tonight!

I spent the day having lunch with the BF and then walking on the beach in desperate need of fresh air and seeing the ocean after a month being cooped up in an old, haunted museum. We then came home, watched horror movies, handed out candy to the VERY few trick-or-treaters that came around, made some drinks, and ordered Chinese food. A different Halloween but a relaxing one. Much needed.

16 Likes

i slipped a parm rind into my red sauce today.

6 Likes

Happy Halloween! :jack_o_lantern::ghost:

We passed out candy to lots of tricker treaters, so no dinner yet, but it’ll be worth the wait! Last nights dinner:

DD1’s wild caught Dungeness crab she gifted us, made into some fat, delicious crab cakes. Just yum, and so big there were two leftover. Made with the usual, minimum amount of Panko crumbs, served with lemon, house made tartar sauce and a sweet Thai chili sauce. The last two garden zucchini’s sautéed with onion. All good…oh, and a baked orange sweet potato.

Also, DD2’s & SIL’s costumes for a party last night - it was a big secret from us, but pretty funny.

Finally Sis in law had a great day at work:

Hope those that celebrate had a great day! Here it was a great change from last year…

18 Likes

chiming in late - i’ve never owned a popover pan and have made them many times. they turn out great in a large muffin tin, pop up very nicely. maybe not as tall as they would, but still very respectable, and delicious! you should definitely try them.

2 Likes

Love the rind

2 Likes

Linda

She is going to do side by side cinnamon toast. Which I think is a brilliant clear test!

Just gave the cinnamon jars Thursday, so I hope she tries it in the next week or two and reports back.

And I indulged in a small jar of Penzey’s seasoned salt and - oh my. It is SO good on roast chicken!

3 Likes

Okay - that chicken looks incredible!

Have to ask - did you bring it to room temp before roasting? Or cook it cold? And, did you baste? Or, as you did a dry rub, did you let it be? Mine won’t be as pretty as yours but I want to try!

1 Like

Sauerkraut Stew with kassler (German-style brined and smoked pork chops,) roasted red peppers, potatoes and caraway.

12 Likes

I e only ever added to spag sauces tho, I’ll have try it with beef next time!

2 Likes