What's For Dinner #74 - The Long "Fall Into Darkness, Warmth & Comfort" Edition - October 2021

Even better that you did this celebration with your sister. I have disagreements with my sister on occasion, but I’m ever so glad she’s in my life, as we’re all that’s left of our immediate family. :heart:

5 Likes

We made CI’s crêpes tonight. Creamed spinach with sauteed mushroom and broccoli cheese. Ricotta-berry and chocolate custard for dessert. A champers with fresh-pressed cider and orange and red wines as libations.

18 Likes

@ChristinaM You make everything I’m craving right after I start thinking about it - wish you were my neighbor so I could just drop by! (First - Turkish pasta, now - crepes… let’s see what’s next!)

2 Likes

What a great description, yes! We are very different, and we disagree on lots of things, but I absolutely adore her and am so grateful to have her in my life.

And we tease my mom all the time, especially when she’s commenting on our arguments - Mom! you don’t have a sister, so you can’t understand :rofl:

3 Likes

Planning this tomorrow: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016808-sweet-and-spicy-roast-chicken?smid=ck-recipe-android-share

:grin:

1 Like

We enjoyed another outstanding dinner at Cafe Panache in Ramsey, NJ. We enjoyed crispy duck leg confit and duck breast, as well as grilled octopus; lobster bisque with mussels; and crispy panko crusted mahi mahi with forbidden rice and wasabi sake sauce. It all went great with an excellent 2009 cabernet sauvignon.

13 Likes

L’m kind of ducked out but will fight you to the death for the octopus and mussels. A lovely meal!

5 Likes

Not sure what this is called, but I know it’s been done. Maybe it’s called “greasy”.

Burger grilled in a flour “street taco” tortilla, a little bit of cheese inside and out.

13 Likes

I remember this soup from a previous post and have not only bookmarked it but left the photo on my desktop as a reminder. Totally elegant and suave. Thanks for reminding me to DO IT!

2 Likes

Thanks! No need to fight me to the death. I will gladly share :grinning:
The grilled octopus with chipotle aioli and the lobster bisque with mussels were both outstanding.

4 Likes

Literally the only decent fried rice I’ve ever made (thanks, website), and squid salad, which I can make a good version of no problem.
IMG_9897
IMG_9896

14 Likes

Thank you for the compliment. A classic staple …

Wow ! Patience. I will post it as soon as I have a chance.

@small_h

Recipe for Basque Creamed Garbanzo (Chick Pea) Soup Recipe …

1. Soak the chickpeas overnite (1/2 kilo for 2 so we have it the next day too)

2. 1 Large Onion or 1 Large Spring Onion diced finely

3. 1 Leek diced finely after removing the green part and the 1st layer of the stalk of the leek

4. 1 extra large Potato peeled and diced finely

5. Place all of the above in a pot to sauté in Extra virgin olive oil

6. Add salt of choice and freshly ground black peppercorns

7. Add water just to cover the concoction

8. Low simmer until all is tender

9. Take the soaked beans and rinse with fresh water and put in a 2nd pot and simmer on medium until tender …

10. Now, add the pimentón de La Vera, smoked paprika, salt to taste, a drizzle of Evoo, freshly ground black pepper, and a Basque Esplette chili pepper whole and when the legumes (beans) are tender, combine the 2 in a food processor or blender in batches.

11. The potato shall provide the creamy texture (cow milk intolerance) …

12. At the end, place the beans and the vegetables together and re-adjust salt and black pepper and pimentón and combine thoroughly to a thick creamed consistency.

Now for those who are carnivorous, one can place cubed pancetta in a sauté skillet and fry in Evoo until the interiors are tender and exteriors crisp and decorate your creamed soup on top.

Serve with oven warmed bread (baguette) and a glass or 2 of wine. I would go with a light red or white depending on preference.

Enjoy.

9 Likes

Have a no idea what Trader Joe´s … I live in Barcelona !!!

I believe it is membership required and a large wholesaler and retailer like MAKRO ESPAÑA.

We go to Makro once a month … As it is not walkable …

No, you’re thinking of Costco. Trader Joe’s is just a (very popular) store.

2 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

It’s a California based supermarket chain that made its way to the East Coast of the U.S. some years back. The stores are small, they’re known for their very attentive staff who are treated very well by corporate. They’re known for their low prices, high quality, and unique offerings, often selling local-to-that-store products. They’re big on selling natural products and organic produce. About 75% of their items are private label, so they can branch out and sell things you wouldn’t usually find in a larger supermarket chain.

I personally wouldn’t use it as my exclusive supermarket, but they’re great as a “fill in the gaps” market.

2 Likes

Thank you. Got it.
None on the Iberian Peninsula …

Thank you for the information.

None here on the Iberian Peninsula.