What's for Dinner #73 - School's Back In! Edition - September 2021

Ooh sorry for the shake-up, hope you land ok when the dust settles!

And that fever! Hope it’s subsided?

1 Like

I don’t measure anything except the mayo and buttermilk, 1/2 cup each, minced clove of garlic, a healthy sprinkle or two of dried oregano, lots of feta and a squeeze of lemon juice.

3 Likes

Sounds delicious, thanks so much!

Only 100 today! A win for me! Thanks :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Good luck and rapid return to stability with both the kiddo and the job! Pandemic has left nothing unscathed it seems.

1 Like

Last night’s wfd was Ethiopian, as those of you on my garlic/ginger thread might have seen. I did have a knob of ginger, and no jar/paste as of yet, so I did all the grating. I decided on stewed cabbage and split peas only, because I felt sheepish going to the only Ethiopian resto in town and buying just injera. So we got doro wat, stewed potato/carrot, and extra injera. It was inhaled. No pix. I am going to learn how to make doro wat because it is delightful. I want to learn to make injera too, and then I will be kind of self sufficient at this. But I heard injera is wicked hard. I found a Somali riff on it yesterday that uses sorghum and corn flours. Has anyone heard of corn flour? I assume it isn’t just fine cornmeal.

6 Likes

Injera is traditionally made with teff flour. I can find it here (Zurich) in some local stores. If you can’t find it locally, you may be able to order it over the internet.

2 Likes

Yes, I know, and I can lay hands on teff. However, that’s what I meant when I said I’ve read it was hard to do. Multiple days, multiple steps. Apparently by using a different grain, shortcuts can be taken. Whether or not the results are any good remains to be seen. First I have to find me some corn and sorghum flour and give it a whirl.

Cornflour is what in the US is called cornstarch.

1 Like

Interesting. I’m surprised bc I googled it, and Bob’s makes it, and it’s not labeled as cornstarch which I would expect it to be.
For instance

2 Likes

Not always - there’s a north Indian flatbread made with what in recipes would be described as corn flour, and they just mean flour made from corn - not cornmeal and not cornstarch, but a fine flour used for dough - like masa, but finer.

ETA: https://www.amazon.com/Laxmi-Brand-Tradition-Quality-Product/dp/B08MQQK856

4 Likes

OK, that is interesting! My main familiarity with it as cornstarch comes from British baking books, as well as international recipes, (for example) Chinese recipes, in which a sauce needs to be thickened. We do live in a BIG world though, so I guess it’s not terribly surprising…

2 Likes

I stopped by the farmers market and found fresh peanuts. So it’s a peanut and beer night. Tomorrow they should be better.

12 Likes

Nice! Did you boil or fry them? Maybe brine and bake?

1 Like

Boiled and now just soaking. I hope there’s some left by morning but at the rate I’m raiding the pan maybe not.

4 Likes

that’s progress!

1 Like

Pre-cooked Peruvian sausages (i didn’t notice). Pretty good, a little salty. Roasted potatoes - blanched and then into the fridge for about 8 hours, then into a hot pan with olive oil and bacon fat, then into a hot oven - they got super dark very fast but not quite as crispy as i wanted. Still, nice and fluffy inside. seasoned with s&p, granulated garlic & onion, a spicy adobo rub, and a little oregano. Best part was the FM heirloom tomato, fresh mozz and basil. Our FM had no fresh corn today! bumming…

15 Likes

Every so often I buy a pound of raw peanuts in Chinatown and boil them. And then I cannot stop eating them, and I’m dehydrated for like a week.

5 Likes

Ok I swear on my children this was completely coincidental and not an international continuation of my “look I eat other food” schitck I’ve been doing.

Since the pandemic my employees have remained remote and I think I’m ready to accept this as the new business model. So a long overdue dinner with my Ops Manager to discuss the plans and catch up.

Since she is vegan we normally go to an Italian restaurant that has a fettuccine truffle mushroom dish but she reminded me I told her about an Indian restaurant (our esteemed @seal introduced me to) that I promised to take her. So off for a vegan Indian meal!!

I don’t know the names so I will do my best to explain.
(I’m an Indian novice but have enjoyed exploring/expanding my tastes)

Eggplant thin sliced fried with sliced vegetables and
Pomegranates seeds! Delicious!! (Not pictured darn it!)

Garlic naam! (I think)

Chickpeas in a spicy tomato sauce. (Soooo good)

Whit rice and vegetables in some weird but delicious green-ish sauce. Perfect balance for the spice of chick peas.

I truly enjoyed!!!

20 Likes

I’ve been amazed by this, given that you are in NJ, with its vast amount of Indian food!

Dinner looks good - especially that naan!

2 Likes