What's for Dinner #73 - School's Back In! Edition - September 2021

Well, we are also fortunate to have our health, the most important … And yes, you are correct.

1 Like

Is the zucchini fritters with potato or just zucchini with some parmesan cheese and panko? I have lots of Cucuzza ( Italian zucchini) and would like to make some writers. Typically I would just slice them in one inch round and pan fry them with or without panko and or parmesan cheese. Thanks

Empordà Mediterranean Seaviews.

6 Likes

Rock that Bombay Gimlet! (straight up!!!)

8 Likes

Sunday evening at home. Freshly caught wild clams and a sea bass.

14 Likes
7 Likes

Realized yesterday I hadn’t made my required summertime meal…my Dad’s satay. Usually done on the grill; I’ve been relegated to an inside grill pan these past 10 years. I made it work.

Sauteed sugar snap peas stood in for the usual rounds of zucchini, since I forgot to pick them up yesterday. Otherwise, skewers of onions, red and orange bell peppers, and mushrooms were the veggies, and chicken skewers were drizzled and grilled with Dad’s non-authentic-but-it-works-for-me satay sauce.

Served on Basmati rice with extra sauce drizzled over all. Wine on the side.

19 Likes

That’s a beautiful oasis!

3 Likes

I made our take on Ina’s tomato pasta again. Impromptu outdoor potluck with our neighbors, who grilled up andouillie sausages and made a green salad.

18 Likes

Last time I was at the liquor store I bought two small bottles of St. Germain because they were on sale and I remembered reading a lot of cocktail recipes using them. They’ve sat there unused, staring at me, because I couldn’t remember what I bought them for. Thank you @gcaggiano. Aperitif, a French Gimlet. Bombay and fresh lime juice. (Because of a youthful indiscretion I can’t abide Rose’s lime.)

Dinner was grilled apple-wood smoked bacon wrapped beef filet, cotc and a sunsugar, snap pea, shallot salad with ranch dressing and dill. And wine.

21 Likes

Thank you :blush:

I typically make mine by shredding and squeezing out the water, then mixing them with salt, pepper, beaten egg, and a bit of flour so that they’re not too soggy. And then I shallow fry. This time around, since I was doing an oven fried chicken with the flour/egg/panko dips, I put all of the extras into my zukes after putting the chicken in the oven. It worked out great - no waste.

3 Likes

We enjoyed another outstanding dinner at Il Nido in Marlboro, NJ. We enjoyed fluke with capers, lemon, and brown butter; swordfish with eggplant meatballs; excellent mugnaia pasta and the always awesome charcuterie board. It all went great with an excellent Spanish priorat and 2009 cabernet.

16 Likes

Eggplant meatballs, interesting - was there some sort of binder involved? Any chew to it?

1 Like

Prime ribeye, fried green tomatoes and Mc-frites

17 Likes

last night at sister’s, i made tiny pistachio-crusted lamb chops, over arugula salad, sided by garlicky mashed potatoes. Sister made us amaretto sours and blistered padron peppers to start.

pistachio lamb chops

padrones

amaretto sours

Tonight i made galbi but marinated in a teriyaki-like sauce (ginger, brown sugar, soy, hoisin, garlic, sesame oil, rice vinegar, thai bird chilies), with a salad of odds and ends in a Thai sweet chili sauce dressing and garlicky rice.

Galbi rice salad

21 Likes

I’m not sure what kept it together but I didn’t notice any sort of binder, and there was no chew to it. It just melted in your mouth. It was very good. The dish also included eggplant caponata and fairytale eggplants.

4 Likes

Sea bass with lime and (Lots of) garlic.
18 Likes

Amazingly divine fish ! And exceptional charcuterie …

1 Like

thanks for the zucchini recipe . I do not have regular zucchini this year but have a lot of Cucuzza which is Italian zucchini, I used them to bake zucchini nut loaf, zucchini chocolate loaf as well as part of chinese stir fry with chicken etc . My son used them to make zucchini fritters but he typically just fries them on the plancha, grill them with EVOO or he would fry them with a small mouth of oil dipped in combination of sweet potato starch egg, and panko./parmesan mixture but without shredding them, just slicing them into rounds. They look beautiful honing from the arbors. I do not know if you can see them in this arbor. I took pictures from a distance.

10 Likes