What's For Dinner #72 - Wait, Summer Is Almost Over? Edition - August 2021

If it’s in Amazon packaging, as most things are when delivered by Amazon, they have no idea what they’re stealing. So…yeah. Things get stolen.

1 Like

A lazy day.
'Cause I had it off.
Slept in.
Read.
Dealt with a server room AC issue in our office by email. (Resolved)
Ran the errands I didn’t run in yesterday’s rain (aka the 90 lbs of cat litter, 40 lbs of dry cat and lots of canned cat).

Went with an easy-peasy dinner: chicken thighs seasoned with olive oil and a blend of Penzeys Galena Street and Mural of Flavor (the former being too salty for my tastebuds, and the latter cutting it just enough).

Leftover Basmati rice and sauteed sugar snap peas. carrots, and red bell pepper with Penzeys’ Tuscan Sunset sprinkled in at the end.

There was definitely wine. I think I’m going to pull out the Licor 43 for dessert later.

And pictures of a partial “harvest” of my Rutgers tomatoes and some carrots. About 5 more tomatoes (not sure if the other plant will produce anything from the 4 flowers I can see, as I think the July rains drowned the plant), and maybe 7 more baby-sized carrots.

And a good pic of Alfie’s eyes going green in the right light.

20210806_173525

19 Likes

Freezer-dive, fridge clean-out dinner. Pulled pork on a potato roll, cucumber sour cream dill salad, the rest of the jammy cherry tomatoes, some RG Moro beans with garlic and a bit too much cobanero chili. Very good especially after I abandoned the potato roll and just ate the yummy pork (from my favorite bbq spot). I need to make enchiladas with that amazing pork. Soon.

17 Likes

Good lord. And also, ugh.

1 Like

Canned cat, oh that sounds yummy. Finn (or is it Fin) and Alfie must be hiding in the closet.
Oh and congratulations on your on ripe tomatoes, so far I only have ripe cherry tomatoes.

1 Like

That’s my abbreviated shopping list: dry cat and can cat. Didn’t mean to add the “ed” on the can in my OP. LOL

And it’s Finn…for Finnegan, the Orange Cattorist. :wink:

2 Likes

A Duroc boneless pork chop, s & p, seared and basted with butter, garlic and sage. Hericots verts with bacon and onion. Golden beet salad, red leaf lettuce, red onion, bleu cheese with a mystery homemade dressing found in the fridge. It tasted like it would be good with the beets and it was. There was a cocktail of Beefeater rocks with bleu cheess olives .

19 Likes

Custard style for the win. Bah to bechamel in Mac and cheese.

5 Likes

Continuing with the parade of child’s favorites before he goes to college, I did some char siu with jasmine rice. Accompanied by oshitashi made with garden chard.

17 Likes

I love a brown butter shortbread cookie, and it uses up a good amount at a time.

4 Likes

I wonder if some of us are closet OCD. I’m reading about your circulating older food to the top and getting antsy when your freezer is starting to empty. I saw @Saregama moving and sorting her spices above. I also rotate older cans to the front when we do Costco, and sometimes, I got irked when I see 2 boxes of the same type of cereal open. So I will consolidate them so that I may break down and recycle the 2nd box. And the end of the box always goes into a sieve to separate the cereal from the dust…

2 Likes

Happy Birthday !! All our best wishes and enjoy your special day.

2 Likes

What an amazingly beautiful kit kat !!!

2 Likes

Did you get the chard under control a little?

1 Like

Yum. Can I pretend I am going off to college so you will cook this for me? Your son is a lucky guy.

3 Likes

I was in major withdrawal last year when your always-epic Stinson Beach trip (and your ensuing re-telling) didn’t happen. So thrilled for you (and vicariously, me!) the party is ON! :partying_face:

6 Likes

Happy birthday!

1 Like

Impossible burger on a homemade kaiser roll (getting better at the knotting thing, although I still have some work to do), Texas potato salad (I was skeptical of this recipe, but very pleased with the result), and green beans from my (non-balcony) garden.

IMG_9194

15 Likes

Saturday … A light bite and off for retail therapy …

8 Likes

Right before dinner I went outside and plucked off about 15 of the biggest leaves. When cooked down per the recipe, they likely maxed out at about a cup of volume. But it’s ok. I have recipes to try now! I think I have 6 chard plants. Maybe 7. So plenty to try new preparations.

3 Likes