What's For Dinner #72 - Wait, Summer Is Almost Over? Edition - August 2021

A really beautiful plate of food. The shrimp looks perfect. Well done

1 Like

Lol! Well said. I think she’s now in violent agreement.

Yum!

Thanks! I velveted the shrimp - think I’d probably skip that next time. These were the Gulf shrimp from Aldi, which I prefer.

2 Likes

I wish for you to have a wonderful uneventful time with her ! Good son !

3 Likes

thanks . I believe behind every man is a wonderful woman. Son is single. he was never been home permanently since he left for college and from there, he left for Europe. Home since my husband passed away, but only every 2-3 months esp during summer. , after which he returns to Europe. Now with COVID, he has been here since 2/2020. I hope he can find a wife who can influence him.

4 Likes

We had a Gaggenau wall oven that was Combi miccrowave/conventional oven with grill in our Amsterdam condo ( sold ) . It was nice, but do not know how much it cost. Googled, have to call for price . T he newer models even has steam oven as feature.

2 Likes

Your son certainly has a wonderful woman behind him! His future wife will be filling super big shoes.

5 Likes

The last stop before Barcelona from Tarragona. A quick Focaccia for the gents and us ladies had bottle of Sparkling water & A little Champagne to celebrate once again and a tiny tapa. We shall have some grilled squid (17.30 now) approx 20.00 - 20.30. Very hot today …

7 Likes

That looks so good! I’m a fellow bubbly lover - can I only dream of drinking the fine wines you enjoy :grin:

2 Likes

Hi, recently there have been more incidents where sarcasm, passive aggressiveness, etc. are used in posts in this topic. We strive to run an open and welcoming community, and we don’t like to see if the tone of the forum becomes more negative over time. This is a place where we can hang out after work, a place to escape a bit from our daily grind. So none of us need more problems here.

You will notice that our site rules start with:

‘Is it kind/ helpful?’ Please support a civil and respectful environment and use the forum to share knowledge skills and interests.

That’s intentional. If you disagree with a person, you can do so respectfully. Focus on the discussion, rather than the person. If you feel that you are about to post something that may make the person unhappy, please take a minute to think about how it can be said differently. If your posts have repeatedly caused aggravations in others, please take a minute to think about how to say it differently without aggravating others. If the mods have provided feedback to you on something the community feel is important to them, please take a minute to listen and reflect. We are all part of the community. Leave the park cleaner than you found it. And we want HO to be an inclusive forum, where people are comfortable participating.

Please note the site rules also say:

‘We also reserve the right to issue warning and remove repeated posts in the grey area that create an unwelcoming environment for the community (e.g. persistent sarcasm, passive aggressiveness, etc.).’

Quite honestly, rather than that, we prefer everyone just be ‘kind/ helpful’, especially if/ when you are disagreeing. Thanks.

11 Likes

It was my inlaw´s anniversary so my parents and us, ordered the Champagne to do a toast.

Have a nice wkend.

23.00 Spain time.

1 Like

What are those visibly crunchy shrimp coated with?

Best of luck and safe travels!

We have had a rough few years with my dad’s passing and some other issues which stemmed from that. Cooking (and posting here) has been therapeutic. She taught me how to cook.

My mom loves a Rob Roy (Scotch Manhattan-- since no one hardly has heard of a Rob Roy) and a Rusty Nail, though I haven’t had Drambuie on my bar in years. Lately I’ve gotten her into some gin cocktails but it’s usually a Rob Roy or red wine for her.

7 Likes

It’s generational. Young dudes celebrate single malts while we oldsters are loyal to mid-century scotches and old-time cocktails: Me, I hang with a wave-the-vermouth-bottle-in-direction-of-my-glass camp, with an occasional Rob Roy when I’m playing sophisticate. Kiss your mom. She’s cool!

3 Likes

Pretend minced squab. Chopped chicken breast, mushrooms, water chestnuts, garlic, ginger, soy and friends. A spoon of leftover jasmine rice on a lettuce leaf, spoon of woked chicken, cilantro. Pretty good. About 4 per person.
Screen Shot 2021-08-27 at 5.24.55 PM

15 Likes

Ain’t that the truth. I always like to say “What’s good is good”, whether it’s that fancy single malt or a rail Scotch (Clan MacGregor aside :face_vomiting:). Whatever you like, you like.

She always says that good Scotches are wasted on her, especially when mixed for a Rob Roy-- she likes extra vermouth. Whenever she orders one out she tells me that it’s not as good as mine. But I tell her that’s because they are making them the way they are supposed to be made, not extra sweet like how I make them for her. I currently have 12 Scotches on my bar, ranging from $12 a bottle to $180. But for her Rob Roys, she’s preferring Old Smuggler of late. Go figure.

7 Likes

i made this night before last. started out with pork dumpling filling ingredients - ground pork, garlic, soy, scallions, fresh minced ginger, cabbage - but then i added TPSTO Thai basil, 3-4 bird chilies, and secret sauce - Fly by Jing chili crisp, for more heat and a bit of sweetness. This is my new favorite chili crisp ! All over pad thai noodles. Quite a hit-the-spot dish.

BF made a beautiful salad, with Thai sweet chili sauce as the base for the dressing.

19 Likes

Tonight was Chinese takeout! Beef and broccoli for him, chicken and broccoli for me. Dumplings, of course.

To drink: a Bombay Sapphire Gimlet for me, and a chocolate martini for the BF.

11 Likes

Someday I’ll tell you about the 3-4 gimlet no dinner pre-commute drink I had with work associates “some time ago”. I have not had a gimlet since, and am wary of lime to this day. :grinning:

5 Likes