What's For Dinner #72 - Wait, Summer Is Almost Over? Edition - August 2021

Your chicken cutlets always look wonderful. How do you get the panko (I assume) to crisp up so nicely in the oven? Oil spray?

2 Likes

I used to bread them as I would frying and then spray with Pam/oil spray. But lately I’ve just been adding oil directly to the breadcrumb mixture that coats the chicken and that gets the job done. Baked at 400 for 20-25 minutes based on cutlet thickness.

Since switching to this method during my GI issues months ago, I’ve yet to go back to a fried cutlet.

9 Likes

Breadcrumbs and spices? Or some cheese too?

I have to make this sometime soon - looks so good!

1 Like

yes, those dumplings were ground duck sausage from Maple Duck Farm. The wrapper were slightly dried up so crimping was not possible. Am not cooking for a while as the tip of the faucet in the kitchen went kaput. So, waiting for replacement and m son to return to fix it.

1 Like

I’ve thought about doing this, but then figured the pre-oiled breadcrumbs wouldn’t stick. I must try this!

Do you bake straight on the pan, on parchment, on foil, or on a wire rack?

2 Likes

I do about 25% Panko, 75% Italian breadcrumbs. Then I add a hefty amount of Pecorino, some garlic powder, black pepper, and sometimes Adobo seasoning.

6 Likes

That’s what I always thought, but it does stick. Just don’t add too much oil.

Baked on a wire rack which rests on the pan. They come out nice and crispy that way.

4 Likes

Always such pretty plating of beautiful food

2 Likes

Flour and egg wash? What’s the process?

1 Like

I’ve started a new thread for September here:

4 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: What’s for Dinner #73 - School’s Back In! Edition - September 2021

Used to do seasoned flour and egg but I find that just egg works exactly the same, so I skip the step. Less clean-up!

2 Likes

That’s a great way to get your daily veggies in.

1 Like

Brilliant. Will try.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: What’s for Dinner #73 - School’s Back In! Edition - September 2021

Try the recipe from Kenji Lopez - https://www.seriouseats.com/the-best-chicken-parmesan-recipe is one of our favorite.
the chicken breast are soaked in buttermilk , then pan fried after dusting them in flour, ( I use sweet potato starch as it seems to leave the oil cleaner and very crispy), egg, then bread crumbs ( I use panko mixed with parmesan and some left over buttermilk to make the panko parmesan stick per is advise.h This is pan fried, then baked in oven with fresh mozzarella and then add freshly grated parmesan.it is a longer process but excellent.His advise which I do not see the reason in this version is not to pile cheese on the whole surface of the chicken breast but just on the center so that the edges are still crispy.
These pictures are not current. I serve it with his oven roasted tomato sauce recipe as well.
![7EF2CB55-CD02-4B96-A475-6020E5D9B373|700x525](upload://jhD

FPG6LRv11zeELTojQuVxmF1L.jpeg)

9 Likes

Read my reply to Christina M. Not all he pictures I posted for that topic came out. but I follow Kenji Lopez 's recipe but instead of making my own breadcrumbs, I use Panko with some parmesan and drizzled some buttermilk which I used to brine the chicken breast with. I just eyeball the amount of buttermilk so that mixture is mealy and hold together in clumps if you squeeze to together with your hands, then pat it to the chicken breast per his instruction . It really sticks to the chicken breast, In fact, when I use sweet potato starch ( there are two kinds , thin and coarse, Use the thinner kind) instead of flour, my fried food are not only crispy but I find my oil is not as dirty.
Sweet potato starch comes as fine and coarse ( also sometimes labeled as thick and thin. Be sure you use the fine ones. If unsure of the Chinese word, since they are usually side by side at the Asian store, try to see which is finer.
I think this is coarse. Look at a the Chinese word.

This is the fine ( or called thin) sweet potato starch that I use for frying. Look at the chinese character.
https://www.google.com/search?q=fine+or+thin+sweet+potato+starch+picture&client=safari&rls=en&sxsrf=AOaemvKi5hwxSi5kA_pYX-X9y43quetB4w:1630786882773&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjx9OfGkubyAhWLTjABHdJeCUgQ1TV6BQgBEOoB&biw=1042&bih=686#spd=17577574114018934482.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/232167447871?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

5 Likes

Thanks @ccj! That chicken looks great. I’ll look for the starch next time I’m at the store.

Trying it!

But my pieces are really thin. Maybe 1/3 inch. I don’t think a thermometer would work. I think I should just do the pan sear part. Maybe faster?

2 Likes

4 Likes