What's For Dinner #72 - Wait, Summer Is Almost Over? Edition - August 2021

LAAAAAAAAAWD what a week! New job got extremely busy and old job begged me to come back as a consultant, so I have been burning the candle at both ends. This of course is all in addition to my musical activities, which are still limited due to COVID but picking up steam. So, when an Uber Eats 40% off coupon landed in my inbox at 4pm today…I’m pretty sure you know what happened.

Luckily for my waistline, we have a Fresh & Co nearby. Basic salad/sandwich/grain bowl chain with better than average food and a truly addictive avocado chimichurri salad dressing. So, WFD was a big salad with grilled salmon and the aforementioned dressing, plus a cup of their lobster bisque. Cooking will resume tomorrow. :blush: Happy weekend, HOs!

10 Likes

I hit the flag under the post and requested the mods to restore it - which they did.

2 Likes

It was one of them days today.

To drink: a Manhattan on the rocks using some expensive yet dreadful Dad’s Hat Pennsylvania Rye. I made the mistake of having it neat a few weeks ago and figured I should try it in a cocktail before claiming this $50 bottle to be one of the most tasteless and rough whiskeys I’ve had in recent memory. It was decent. Like halfway decent. The sweet vermouth took the edge off, but I’m not dying to have it again.

Dinner was an easy way out. My grilled balsamic marinated chicken and sautéed spinach. The carb was some stuffed rigs alla vodka from the Italian market. Satisfying.

13 Likes

Pre cocktail cocktail, Bloody Maria and yeah, I did it again. Those pictures had me salivating like Pavlov’s dog.

IMG_3624

Dinner was Shrimp-Okra-and-Sausage Kebabs over Louisiana rice. Corn salad, tomato, red onion, purple radish, Manzanilla olives, parsley and oo&rwv dressing.
Who knew grilled okra tasted so good?

IMG_3626

14 Likes

Mrs. P made another awesome dinner. We started off with a shrimp salad containing avocado, bean sprouts, snow peas, mini peppers, and homegrown basil and parsley. It was topped with a very spicy dressing consisting of dried Sichuan peppers, jalapeños, chili peppers, garlic, galangal, lemongrass, fish sauce, lime juice, and coconut sugar. For an entree we had more shrimp with bacon, corn, jalapeño, cream cheese, lime, basil, and parsley, cooked in bacon grease. For dessert we had s’mores with homemade coffee ice cream and chocolate chips, and chocolate covered espresso chips :yum: It all went great with an excellent Napa cabernet.

16 Likes

I totally agree… Here in my part of the SF Bay Area, mostly all I can find is white corn​:sleepy:. I love yellow corn & wish there was more of it around! Side note: we love COTC brushed with mayo & sorinkled generously with Trader Joe’s “Everything But The Elote” seasoning :yum:

2 Likes

Unfortunately, however, we do not eat poultry or feathered game or any lamb.

We buy our beef from ecological small tiny farms and we primarily eat freshly caught shellfish, celaphoids and fish. Very pescatarian. And as you know we are big pasta fans.

Have a nice wkend.

1 Like

Love the flowers in the St. George Gin bottle. Had that at a Christmas party this December and a very enjoyable gin!

3 Likes

thanks

I was at the Novato Whole Foods a couple of days ago, and they had yellow corn - yay! Maybe other locations have it too.

We found some beautiful yellow corn at H Mart, which Mrs. P used in creating her entree last night.

1 Like

Thanks, the WF store in Redwood City has it as does Sigonas, so I should edit my rant! The usual suspects, Safeway & Luckys only get white & they are the ones with the low special prices… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sweet peas, they smell so wonderful. I liked the Botanivore, the others, not so much.

1 Like

Re-wind some 25+ years. I made one of my several times a year pilgrimages to our favorite Italian deli in North Beach. I can’t remember why I picked up a bottle of Lambrusco, but I did. Brought it home, chilled it down, opened it and, huh? It looked like red Ripple! So I call up my deli-guy and tell him “er, the Lambrusco I just bought is over the hill, it’s really fizzy. I poured it down the sink. I’m only telling you so one of your little old Italian mamas doesn’t come in and poison herself.” Dead silence, then, Mrs. xxxx, that Lambrusco is pétillante." “Ahhhhhh. Thank you very much. See you…”

9 Likes

Today for camping lunch we made “Ina’s” summer garden pasta (can anyone really claim authorship of this classic combo?), cutting way back on the garlic and cheese. It was delicious!

Breakfast was yogurt, berries, and bran flake cereal with almonds. No pics :laughing:

Late last night we had shrimp cocktail after a big, late lunch out of fried catfish, fried, slaw, and shrimp po’boy.

Currently recovering from late afternoon chips, salsa, and margaritas out.

Dinner, if/when we get to it, will be grouper and shrimp in lemon butter. This photo is from Edisto, SC, although we’ve now moved on to Charleston for water park proximity. Priorities.

17 Likes

Great story!

That would have been me too, if dry Lambrusco weren’t having a moment at the moment. I was forewarned.

1 Like

Back in the kitchen today! Ground up some pork shoulder and made dumpling burgers, with lots of ginger, garlic and scallions. Blistered shishito peppers with garlic chips alongside. My peppers in general are not doing all that well this year (to be fair, I have majorly neglected them!), but I discovered today that I had a nice crop of shishitos going, both green and red. No hot ones, but they were tasty, especially the ripe red ones.

8 Likes

Atta girl. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Mattress shopping is always stressful…but I did it because it’s time. Probably going with the local made-to-order Gardner Mattress choice. Can’t get any more “Made In America” than that!

Dinner decided on my way to Market Basket to stock up for a hurricane storm that I think will mostly miss my area of MA.

Icelandic cod schmeared with mayo, then sprinkled with a Panko crumb mix that was comprised of the Panko, a garlic-herb blend, some extra dried parsley, dried thyme, a pinch of s/p, and ground sumac. Baked at 375° for about 15 minutes until it just flaked, served with a quick Louisiana remoulade (too much remoulade).

Sides were leftover rice pilaf and sauteed home grown baby carrots, sugar snap peas, thinly sliced shallots and local fresh corn with Penzeys’ Tuscan Sunset seasoning mix.

And wine. Because mattress shopping is still a PITA.

16 Likes