What's for Dinner #71 - the Vacation Time! Edition - July 2021

Snacky evening tonight.

Made a tomato tart late afternoon and ate some. Then out for a glass of wine and snacks at my favorite neighborhood wine bar that we thought was a pandemic casualty but was resurrected last week. Then another slice of the tomato tart when I got home.

Tart was an oil crust, chive cream cheese spread over the base, and then tomato wedges that I partially roasted first before arranging on the crust and baking again for a while.

I didn’t love the crust, but that’s my own fault for using half whole wheat flour and over-mixing. The flavor of the combination of everything was lovely, though.

17 Likes

It already is. It’s just an assumed thing. :wink:

7 Likes

Well, this is definitely a birthday you’ll never forget!

4 Likes

Picture of your knife? Extra credit for using a screwdriver.

It’s just a regular old oyster knife.

Capture

Before I bought it, I tried a screwdriver and a paring knife, but I didn’t get very far. I’m gotten a lot better at shucking since I bought the knife last November (in that I no longer emerge from the kitchen red-faced, sweaty and covered in brine), so it’s very possible I can use a screwdriver now.

6 Likes

Lob-stah

16 Likes

Dinner in progress - 8.3 pound pork shoulder roast, rubbed and on the Weber at 325 degrees (gas), but with cherry wood to flavor. Stay tuned.

12 Likes

bummer!
i think we get mailed reminders or maybe even email at this point for our DLs here in CA.

2 Likes

We had clouds. :cloud:
We had rain. :cloud_with_rain:
We had blue skies. :blue_heart:
We had sun. :sunny:

We’ll have fireworks.
In Boston tonight.
And in my town tomorrow.
And I’ll have scared cats at the BOOMs.

Today, I made stuff.
And I ate stuff.
And I AM stuffed.
:::Woof:::

Country-style pork ribs, dry-rubbed with a pork rub, then covered and baked in the oven at a low temp for several hours. Uncovered, poured off the juices and slathered with a BBQ sauce, baking at an even lower temp for another half hour.

Sides were Tarragon & Chive Potato Salad, Carrot & Bourbon Raisin Salad, and Deviled Eggs sprinkled with ground sumac instead of paprika.

Dessert was Gingered Peach Cobbler and B&J’s vanilla ice cream. The peaches I picked up yesterday at Market Basket were so sweet and delicious!

Libation was a tall iced vodka and lemonade with ginger beer.

Happy Independence Day! :us_outlying_islands:

19 Likes

I started with a screwdriver and found I’m way more proficient with it than these. :disappointed:

4 Likes

Local news is that the fireworks truck in nearby Ocean City MD blew up on the beach and there will be no fireworks there. We had fireworks Friday night and last night and they’ll be launched from a barge in Annapolis Harbor tonight. I’ll be in bed.

Dinner was lamb kafka, roasted Portobella mushrooms, and macaroni salad.

3 Likes

What made me more proficient was finally figuring out that I needed to twist the knife on its Z axis rather than rock it laterally along its X axis. It’s possible a screwdriver would have served me just as well with this knowledge. I’m still hopeless at clams, but that’s what the rest of my life is for.

5 Likes

Coming along nicely. A few snacks. :rofl::joy:

12 Likes

Cheese again was the plan then came the protein craving.

12 Likes

Nice glasses! Zalto, I think?

1 Like

Thanks…I honestly don’t know. The highball glasses are Rogaska and lowball, whisky, and tumblers are Norland. I know because I bought them. :joy:. My former wife was fond of crystal and glassware.

2 Likes

ginger peach cobbler sounds wonderful!

2 Likes

Delicious mush for dinner tonight. ground pork ragu with onions, garlic, carrots, red & yellow bells, crimini, basil & parsley, diced canned tomatoes, tomato paste, milk, and calabrian chilies. Simmered for 2+ hours. Polenta with chicken BTB, lotsa buttah, creamy sheep & goat milk cheese, and parm regg.

13 Likes

are those jello shots??

2 Likes

TPSTO can be used with anything!

2 Likes