What's for Dinner #71 - the Vacation Time! Edition - July 2021

I bought a smoked pork chop at the farm this week (new offering) and crisped it up in some of its own rendered fat as suggested, along with a new potato. Plus steamed sugar snap peas. Tasty but not as good as their brined chops. Lots of leftover smoked pork chop - maybe fried rice??

15 Likes

:blush:

It was snowing in Santa Rosa on December 24, 1988 at 6 am as I left on my commute to the City. (If I left at 6 am or earlier I could hit the bridge in ~45 minutes. If I left 10-15 minutes later it could take 1.25 to 1.5 hours. So I moved to Mill Valley where it only took me 30 minutes. :joy: )

My first summer in California from the Midwest was in Rohnert Park. One afternoon a storm rolled in with lots of lightning and thunder. A crowd gathered in the area below my deck to watch the display. So I asked them what they were doing and a guy looked at me as if I had two heads and pointed to the sky. I mumbled ‘that’s it’ as I went back inside. That was the last lightning and thunder I saw/heard for the twenty years I live in CA.

4 Likes

Zhajiangmian but with cremini mushrooms instead of pork for Meatless Monday

15 Likes

Definitely fried rice. or hash with a poached egg.

1 Like

I had a craving for pasta. Carbonara with asparagus and peas. Hot damn, it was delicious. Garlic bread and a green salad, o&v dressing. There was wine.

15 Likes

H Mart’s Snake River Kurobuta pork belly strips, rubbed with kosher salt, ground sichuan peppercorns, Chinese 5 spice, smoked paprika, cayenne. Baked in the oven for 30 minutes, on parchment paper on a baking sheet, turning and basting with a mix of soy and Mike’s Hot Honey. Great no-muss/fuss prep. I oversalted, and I would use more honey or add brown sugar next time. But still, pretty fricken good. Rice and steamed asparagus on the side with butter and leftover ssamjang vinaigrette.

14 Likes

H-mart carries SRF? Now I have to go look…

2 Likes

yep!

Must I choose between sour cream and butter? Because I don’t want to play favorites. :wink:

6 Likes

absolutely not. There is such a think as TPSTOBASC.

4 Likes

Heavens no! Both are required. I just like the SC on the side while the butter goes ON the tater to mix in with the fluffy tater goodness! Sort of like how butter gets into the nooks and crannies of a Thomas’s English muffin. :wink:

4 Likes

Now I’m thinking of sour cream on mashed potatoes.

2 Likes

I used to eat it often-ish as well. Super convenient. But then I had a realization. We have a local poke joint (I realize not everyone will), but for .50-1.50 more than a tray of grocery spicy tuna, I can get a cup of rice, 1/4 lb of fresh fish, and another 1/4 of a veg side like seaweed salad or edamame. So overall, much more and much fresher for about the same cost. Have not really returned to grocery sushi since.

5 Likes

Salad with RG Moro beans, cherry tomatoes, radishes, pickled carrots, scallions, cilantro, minced serrano pepper, a very garlicky lime vinaigrette and avocado. Yum. Been getting these small “personal size” avocados and they are great.

15 Likes

We made homemade pappardelle pasta with goat cheese, peas, and foraged chanterelles and leftover kale salad.

18 Likes

Twain was a wus. Compared to our weekend place where current temp in 90+ and considered a break in summer heat, it is absolutely DELICIOUS here today. A “bit of an ocean breeze”, and complexions refreshing mist in the morning, but I LOVE IT! No need for shades, no 11 lines between the squinting eyes, wallowing in my down comforter at 2am… Maybe you have to be a native. I always say that all those tourists sporting “I left my heart in San Francisco” sweatshirts were just cold and didn’t read the between the lines of the guide books.

7 Likes

Okonomiyaki, added some shrimp and mentaiko into the batter.

15 Likes

those chanterelles are beauties!

3 Likes

Toulouse-style sausages from our Frenchy butcher with sauteed red & yellow peppers, onions, shallots, parsley, and pepperjack cheese. COTC w/TPSTOB. i only managed to eat half my sandwich, but could have eaten two more COTCs.

14 Likes

Since last Tuesday’s grilled shrimp and asparagus over risotto was so popular, we decided to do scallops this week. Dusted with Montreal Steak Seasoning and Old Bay.

There was a martini. And bruschetta.

17 Likes