What's for Dinner #71 - the Vacation Time! Edition - July 2021

It’s an acronym for The Proverbial Shit Ton Of Butter which I use on my baked potatoes. Said acronym was coined by our @mariacarmen because writing out the entire phrase is a PITA (pain in the ass). :wink:

6 Likes

Thanks. I put TPSTOB on my COTC all the time.

9 Likes

Our second washout weekend upstate, but Friday evening was dry, so we jumped at the opportunity to grill. I put on my carnivore drag and made an Impossible burger. I’ve had plenty in restaurants, but this was my first DIY. As I’m sure will come as no surprise to people who make hamburgers on the regular, it was really easy and came out pretty great.

IMG_8666

Also grilled a mess of other stuff. Broccoli, potatoes, bok choy and snap peas (both of which I grew my own self), shrimp and corn (not pictured), which was too old and thus terrible.

IMG_8662

12 Likes

it’s a very versatile acronym!

2 Likes

I’m with you. In my mind that applies equally to kitchen tools. My wife bridles sometimes at the prices for the few things I want to buy. I point out that what I brought when we combined households, much twenty or thirty years old, is what we use. Buy for the long run or do without.

Dinner last night was ribeye, roast potatoes, and steamed broccoli all on the grill. I wish I’d tried harder to talk my wife into the side burner. The grill is only ten years old and easily has twenty more years in it, so maybe the next one. grin

5 Likes

I was wondering about that also. My choice for baked potatoes is TPSTOSC or TPSTOY depending on what’s in the fridge.

3 Likes

Long before I was born, a newly immigrated woman told/taught my mother, “You buy cheap, , you buy twice”. It has become a family saying, if occasionally in retrospect.

5 Likes

The weather was unseasonably hot. I like SF. I like the fog, I like June gloom. We’ve spent many a pleasant long weekend there. But I have to say, there is something about living in a small town (we don’t live in SEA) betwixt 2 large ones that really gives you the best of both worlds. And if you don’t get this cold in SF in the winter, how will you ever watch the glorious snowflakes falling among and amidst the giant fir trees?

4 Likes

As somebody who just moved from Boston to SF - the glorious snowflakes are great for 1-2 winters but than you wish to not see it (ever) again :wink:

3 Likes

Unless you live where I do, and it only snows a week each year or once every 2 yrs. Then, when it does, you enjoy the heck out of it.

2 Likes

Mostly leftovers however I made this as a supplement, shrimp scampi pie! (Baboli crust, meh)

12 Likes

i’ll live. :smiley:

seriously, i totally get it, but I’d rather visit glorious cold places, just don’t want to live in them.

It sounds like you live in a nice area. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

It is a very nice area! I don’t like overly cold places. I grew up in Buffalo and colleged in New Hampshire. I am DONE with those types of cold places.

3 Likes

What…what…WHAT……!?!

The coldest winter I ever spent was….

1 Like

That is ALWAYS on the side for baked taters for me. I prefer dipping to get the appropriate amount of sour cream per potato on my fork. :wink:

2 Likes

SUMMERS. you just don’t expect it to be in the 50s in summer time (especially if you come from somewhere else), so it feels really cold, and like you’re being cheated. but it rarely gets to the 40s or lower, and the last time it snowed here was like in the 70s.

3 Likes

brrrr, i don’t blame you.

As someone who moved to Boston 30+ years ago (albeit from northern NJ) the snowflakes are fine pre-Christmas. After that, they’re just a big pile of PITA slushy mess that’ll eventually turn into Mud Season. :wink: Welcome to Boston.

3 Likes

It was very nice to sleep in. Again.

Dinner was planned to try and use up leftover-type stuff in my upstairs freezer. It ended up being sausage and sauteed broccoli and onions with penne, using (from the freezer) a 1/2 cup of roasted garlic cream sauce, 1 cup of Rao’s marinara, 1/2 cup of “pork liquid”, as I call it (the defatted liquid from when I make country-style pork ribs), in addition to 1/2 cup of Parm-Reg, with seasonings of minced garlic, s/p, Italian herb seasoning, and Aleppo pepper for a slight “bite”, and some shaved Parm-Reg on top.

It came out quite nicely, and gives me leftovers for work lunches, to which I return tomorrow.

Oh. There was wine, since this is my extended Sunday.

14 Likes

I made turkey porcupine meatballs using this recipe. I added bay leaf, minced garlic, and onion to the sauce (which I doubled) and a little bit of breadcrumbs, milk, and parsley to the meatballs. Plus a whole grated zucchini. Simmered runner beans in the sauce (18 min at high pressure, 15 min natural release). Served over CSA potatoes, which were too waxy to mash properly. Still tasty. Lemony kale salad on the side.

16 Likes