What's for Dinner #71 - the Vacation Time! Edition - July 2021

Dinner last night: double cut lamb chops, liberally sprinkled with Penzey’s Turkish Seasoning, then slathered with skordalia sauce and additional Greek oregano. Excellent! Enjoyed with a good Malbec, can’t remember the name right now.

13 Likes

Happy birthday! Treat yourself. :kissing_heart:

1 Like

"Pork chops and applesauce!

Okay, big hulking pork chop and tiny side salad.

I butchered a pork loin bone in 5 rib rack from Heritage foods. It did not go well, but a few chops turned out okay, and I dry brined them with Whole Spice berbere spice, then reversed seared.

13 Likes

Happy birthday!
e642283398fe3e45af15dfb5283d26f79817c049c3dca27f0a33bc04112c6e38.0

7 Likes

:hushed: What’s in it, please?

2 Likes

Directly from their menu:

Screenshot_20210703-111338_Google

The first time I had it there last year it was more peanut buttery and therefore better. This time they must have eased up on the Skrewball. Still good but not the same.

6 Likes

I’ve never heard of it. Thank you!

1 Like

Surely something never heard of here !

Good name: Skrewball !

1 Like

PIZZA NAPOLETANO WITH ANCHOVIES …

13 Likes

Skrewball is actually very good. I’m NOT usually a fan of flavored whiskeys because most brands tend to go overboard on the sugar and turn them into liqueurs. However, Skrewball is not too sweet and genuinely tastes like peanut. I’ve always wanted to mix it with Chambord and see if I can replicate a PB & J.

4 Likes

Thank you all for the birthday wishes!

From last night. Both mom and BF offered to bake a cake or buy anything I wanted from a bakery. However, I specifically requested a Shop Rite carrot cake. I have a weakness for it. Don’t know what it is. The ingredients, especially the frosting, are far from high-end but it’s so damn good! And she bought the big one so that means we’ll be eating this for a week. Dinner was a buffet of Chinese takeout.

After a busy day Thursday and spending a lot of time in the car yesterday getting back from PA, I just wanted to be home. Our friend joined us with a bottle of champagne too.

And now for a funny and embarrassing story!

Drumroll please…

So as I previously shared, we go to New Hope, PA on Thursday. I wanted to spend the last night of my 20’s in my favorite town and drinking in my favorite dive bar, the legendary John & Peter’s. Sometimes I feel we go out there just to be at this bar. It’s really all I wanted to do as I closed in on this milestone birthday. We take a seat and the bartender asks to see our IDs. She looks at my BF’s first, gives it back, looks at mine and says, “Your license is expired.” Utterly shocked, I said, “What???”. She gives it back. Sure enough, it expired in April! She then adds, “Sorry, but I cannot serve you.” I was so caught off-guard that all I could muster up was a feeble “I’m going to be 30 tomorrow”. She responded not with words but instead the grandest sneering “I don’t give a f**k” look on her face. We left. I didn’t argue. I’ve been in the service industry for the last 10 months and technically she was in the right. Only me. I’m just pissed that I didn’t keep on top of renewing my license. I could swear they used to mail you a notification when yours was close to expiring. And I’ve been carded several times at other establishments since April. I guess no one else looked close enough or bothered to care.

19 Likes

BAKED POLENTA WITH ECOLOGICAL PORK SAUSAGE.

11 Likes

I’m not huge on sweets. One of my wedding cakes was spice cake and the other was…carrot cake. Marriage failed. Fond memories of the cake.

Here in Maryland I’m pretty sure we get an email reminder of pending DL expiration. We definitely get them for car registration. Governor Hogan has made some really great strides in communication and a bunch of other quiet government efficiency improvements. I’m going to miss him.

Your experience Greg led me to go through my wallet and check everything, as well as both passports. I’m good for 2021. grin

Remember your credit card expirations - that can be awkward.

ETA: Dinner tonight is grilled salmon, salad, and some veg I forget - my wife’s turn to cook.

2 Likes

Oysters and a gin rickey to start.

IMG_8468

Chilled artichoke, tuna and egg salads, and pickled squash with red onion to continue. It was too hot to eat hot food.

IMG_8470

And you can’t really tell from the picture, but all the chive pieces in the egg salad are EXACTLY the same size.

16 Likes

I’m an Old Fashion guy (lazy one at that - just high octane bourbon with Grand Marnier) so I will give yours a try sometime. Thanks much!

1 Like

:rofl:
:face_with_hand_over_mouth:
:blush:

Still trying to figure out emoji color.

You’re welcome. And bourbon + Grand Marnier? Sounds delicious. Will also try!

1 Like

The Grand Marnier adds the sweetness and orange flavor…just two ingredients. See? I’m lazy…haha.

1 Like

Maybe @ one of the moderators?

1 Like

:smiley: :heart_eyes:

Hmm. There is a palette at the bottom in Firefox on a Win laptop. Doesn’t seem to make any difference to the emojis - just the things like hands.

1 Like