What's for Dinner #71 - the Vacation Time! Edition - July 2021

Why yes, they are @mariacarmen! :upside_down_face: However, the pic was included as a joke. BUT SIL made them for a block party, and she lives in a different state. Not that I’m above having a Jell-O shot or 3??:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

Happy Independence Day. The sun finally came out here. I had planned on a cheese burger and fries, but I discovered what I thought was a telera roll in the freezer turned out to be french dinner rolls. Plan B, bunless cheese burger and garden red potato fries. Lettuce, tomato, onion. mustard, mayo, ketchup. Red Duck spicy ketchup for the fries and lots of Red Snappers, the drink, not the fish.

13 Likes

i was just going to ask what time I should be over!
:grinning:

2 Likes

Well, I’m telling ya, you’re welcome at any time @mariacarmen!

1 Like

Please share this toddler woo-ing recipe!

3 Likes

Voting for COTQ now open! Summer 2021 (Jul-Sept) Cuisine of the Quarter - VOTING

Burgers, dogs, grilled chicken, family and friends on this low key 4th. Tonight’s specialty condiment was mayo mixed with Lao Gan Ma chili crisp. There was also a selection of cole slaw, potato and macaroni salads, and brownies. Dr. Praeger’s veggie burgers for our vegan friend.

18 Likes

I added about a Tbsp of ginger preserves to the sliced peaches as they simmered, just enough to melt the preserves, and cutting WAY back on the sugar amount called for. Not heavily gingery, but just enough.

2 Likes

It’s the law at a Jimmy Buffett concert. :smile:

2 Likes

It’s so easy! I got the recipe from milk street magazine.

Take 2 big bunches of scallions and chop them. saute them whites first then add the greens. Get them to the char state you like then set aside. Sear a pound of ground pork. Add 2 T sugar and 1/3ish c soy sauce to pork. Add back in scallions. Throw in pre made soba noodles or I’ve been subbing these pre cooked lo mein noodles which saves boiling and another pot. Give it a good stir. That’s it!!! Original recipe calls for some hot pepper but I never include.

8 Likes

Same. So delicious :relieved: :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

…and by extension Zac Brown concerts. grin

Slept in.
Because I could.

Almost didn’t venture out into the world.
But I did.

Took chicken out to defrost.
No idea what to make.
Until I bought A couple of jars of Rao’s Marinara at OSJL.

Oven-Baked Chicken-Asparagus Parmigiana on top of garganelli pasta, with more heated marinara.

Looks meh, but it tasted good thanks to me heavily seasoning the Panko breadcrumbs.
Wine.

Dessert will be more Peach Cobbler. And hopefully the local fireworks tonight don’t freak out Alfie and Finn too much.

19 Likes

Tonight we made hamburger sliders, spicy green beans cooked in the drippings, ww mac n cheese, and a big green salad. Very tasty.

19 Likes

Thanks so much!

1 Like

Tonight’s dinner was what I had planned to have for the Fourth - I’ve had a hankering for steak since I came home!

So tonight: ribeye, sauteed spinach, and scalloped potatoes. Eyes rolled back good!

I cooked the steak sous vide in my new IP, and realized it needs some adjustment - the steak was rare rather than medium. Back in the pan fixed it. I seared it in ghee with rosemary and garlic. Meat was d’Artagnan from the new grocery delivery in my building, and absolutely delicious. Glad I cut the steaks in half and vacuum sealed separately before cooking, so I’m not tempted to eat a whole steak - or that would definitely have happened tonight.

The potatoes were a new cheat - I layered them and half-cooked in the microwave to speed it up, before transferring to the oven. Worked like a dream except it dried out a bit in the oven. Still tasted good, though.

I was going to try making creamed spinach, then decided against it since there was enough richness between the meat and the potatoes.

EXACTLY what I’ve been craving.

Meanwhile… back to July 4th. I was supposed to meet a friend for dinner and then watch the fireworks from her roof, but she bailed that morning. So I decided on the steak dinner. Then, a friend with family visiting texted to ask - want to come over for 4th of July Biryani?! If anyone invites you for home-cooked biryani, the answer is ALWAYS YES. ALWAYS. :joy:

18 Likes

Fantastic dinner! I love the nesting salad plates/bowls.

1 Like

^ Love this!

Also your steak dinner looks so delicious. Steak + spinach + potato is a perfect combo.

3 Likes

Dinner last night was (US) pigs in a blanket, caprese salad, and assorted minor leftovers including macaroni salad and sauteed potatoes. Don’t judge us.

6 Likes

IBERIAN SAUSAGE & IBERIAN CHORIZO ON SAFFRON YELLOW RICE. IT IS NOT A PAELLA … JUST A RICE WITH ASSORTED VEGETABLES. Using up some sausages and chorizos we had … Lunch … Rained today …

15 Likes