What's for Dinner #71 - the Vacation Time! Edition - July 2021

Oh, I’m not saying you ever said it or made it IRL. I’m saying my brain is telling me I’ve read it before. So maybe that means I traveled to the future and read it, and then came back waiting to read it IRL. Very Doc Brown of me from “Back to the Future.” :wink:

3 Likes

Simply lovely evening and enjoying some lovely fresh shellfish and wine.

10 Likes

My husband almost fell off his chair !!! My dear said that "he has never known of a dish called “Melanzane di Bolognese” (Aubergine with Bolognese Sauce) … “Aubergine or eggplant grows in Sicilia and Puglia (Adriatic Coast)”.

Bolognese is a tomato based Ragù with guanciale (pork cheek) which is used in Lasagne and for Gnocchi and pappardelle, a thick ribbon formatted pasta in Emilia Romagna north of Tuscany.

So, this is quite un-usual to find in Italy !!!

2 Likes

Could you back up please? In my head bolognese is a meat-based sauce that includes tomato (usually paste). Tomato is a flavoring, not a basis. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolognese_sauce . Can you elaborate on your definition?

4 Likes

Instead of guanciale the chef used eggplant in the tomato based sauce. It was his version of a healthy bolognese without the meat. He might have taken liberty with the term bolognese.

4 Likes

We enjoyed an excellent Amarone al fresco, on a beautiful evening with Andouille sausage pizza and homemade guacamole and chips.

14 Likes

We made a miso and yuzu cod. Served it with some rice and zucchini carpaccio. Also heated up a couple stuffed zucchini blossoms from the freezer.

It’s very hot and smoky here, so a light meal was needed.

14 Likes

Last nights delicious steak dinner, age prime porterhouse for two. Mac n cheese and creamed spinach on the side.

Delicious again today!!

14 Likes

Pork tonnato with cauliflower, tomato, mushroom, avocado.

15 Likes

that looks heavenly!

BF took over my dinner plan again. Didn’t turn out great, but it really wasn’t his fault - the corn I bought was once again very bland. I was going to use spaghetti with whole corn kernels and bacon. He pureed the corn and used orecchiete. It wasn’t half bad, just not what I’d envisioned, but that blah corn ruined it. He made up for it with little roasted yellow pepper roll-ups with anchovies inside - too salty for him so they were all mine. And a nice green salad using this delicious creamy cheese in olive oil i’ve been hoarding.

10 Likes

BF can cook for us any day!

3 Likes

Gorgeous. Perfectly cooked . Double olive martini . Right in my wheelhouse. :cocktail: Cheers .

3 Likes

Indeed! And @NotJrvedivici, to call these

mac and cheese and creamed spinach puts you on a different planet from mine.

5 Likes

Reverse seared New York strip, middle eastern of various persuasions green beans stewed with tomatoes, and a crustless quiche/southern tomato pie with a huge nod to Vivian Howard.

16 Likes

Chicken curry and rice tonight, with crispy okra on the side.

The okra was excellent for being frozen (looked awful and huge) and roasted.

The curry was… experimental but tasty. Potatoes for the win, always.

20 Likes

Oh My English writing !

Ragu for Lasagne …

5 tablespoons Italian Evoo
3 tablesps. butter
1 carrot finely chopped
1 celery stalk finely chopped
1 garlic clove thinly sliced
guanciale (1/4 kilo) (substitute appropriate: Pancetta)
1/2 kilo ground veal
1/ 2 kilo ground pork
1 cup whole milk
1 cup dry white wine
1 tsp. salt
1 / 2 tsp black pepper
1/ 4 cup tomato paste made from tomatoes de-seeded and peeled

3 Likes

oh my lord i’d need a cigarette after that!

2 Likes

Definitely better than what I can manage in German, French, or Swedish. In all my vocabulary is limited to particular subject matter and pretty rough.

We should appreciate the effort of our fellow HOers for whom English is a second or third language. Not only are you sharing cooking perspectives but in a non-native tongue. Thank you. Besides - you are here to keep me company when I get up in the morning. grin

As for our British friends, two countries separated by a common language.

Americans may dominate HO but we should not forget we do have an international reach.

3 Likes

Thank you for the compliment. English is actually my 3rd language; as Castillian Spanish or Castellano is my 1st and Catalan is my 2nd. Then French and Italian are 4th and 5th !

However, speaking and reading for me, are much easier than writing !

My husband and I (whole office) have on-going English classes. Our´s are advanced and focused on Conversation … We both have Proficiency Cambridge Certificates.

My parents as well. They required English for their business … We all attended English Schools, not state Spanish schools. So, speaking and reading are common for us. My husband studied at the American School. His English is also top notch.

The hardest part of English are the wide range of “COLLOQUIAL” expressions … We watch native English films in English with English sub-titles. We pause when we do not know a vocabulary word or expression or idiom (proverb) and look it up !!!

We use our English alot together.

Some of the members, are challenging for us to understand as they use colloquial expressions that we are both not accustomed to hearing or using.

HA HA HA … Yes, I check H.O. daily between 6am - 7am … Then I am off to office or gym or boat !!! Depending where we are …

Have a lovely and healthy summer.
Ciao.

6 Likes
“Food is a pretty good prism through which to view humanity.”

― Jonathan Gold