What's for Dinner #71 - the Vacation Time! Edition - July 2021

As we head into peak fishing season, working on emptying out one of my freezers. That’s how I came across a small package of ground pork I didn’t know I had or even remember why I bought it in the first place. Since I had some zucchini and baby bok choy on hand I threw together a quick stir fry. I made a sauce with lots of ginger and lemongrass, soy sauce, kecap manis, fish sauce, sesame oil, and Sriracha. Served over rice cakes I also found in the freezer.

18 Likes

Not much presentation but it was halibut on mushroom risotto. Oh… a gin & tonic is trying to photobomb.

And a Smith & Kerns for dessert.

ETA:
Hey…hey…hey!

18 Likes

Yummm! I keep a pound or two of frozen ground pork on hand all the time. Claire loves this noodles with pork and scallions and I do lots of meatball things with hidden veggies. Yours looks good!!

4 Likes

NYT creamy corn pasta with basil, with added Dungeness crab meat, at my sister’s. I’ve made this dish a couple of times before, so good with sweet summer corn!

16 Likes

We enjoyed another excellent dinner at our favorite Sichuan restaurant. We enjoyed the usual favorites of eggplant in garlic sauce, hot and spicy lobster and jumbo prawns, stir fried lamb, chicken ting, ants climbing a tree, and spicy baby wontons in chili oil. There were a ton of leftovers; enough for two more dinners. It all went great with an excellent Napa cabernet.

16 Likes

Dinner out tonight at a Spanish/Portuguese restaurant. I will post only the pictures here, but for the complete story, see this thread. I promise it’s worth it:

Garlic shrimp.

BF’s broiled shrimp.

Mom’s red snapper.

My chicken in garlic sauce.

One of several gin martinis for me.

BF’s espresso martini.

Tartufo dessert.

16 Likes

After sitting all day. Though I did catch and release 3 trout at the reservoir. I’ve decided I’m tired of sitting in the heat and smoke. Pretending to be in Pacific grove, ca . In the fog. Mussels , clams , and prawns , with thin spaghetti. Cheers .

20 Likes

Thinking PSTOW needs to be a thing, Linda…

5 Likes

Are you sure? Not insulation peeled off the inside? grin

1 Like

Lovely oysters.

Interesting. Here everything that is edible can be purchased with legalities of ecological or what we call “bio” …

The polenta is ecological too … Was very good.

Thank you.

Thank you. I did not grow up eating pork of any kind so it’s just not something I think about too often. I amy start buying it more often going forward.

Your daughter has such good taste - in “real” food and ice cream.

1 Like

This time I am sure but I find if I don’t cook rice cooks absolutely perfectly insulation would be an improvement.

1 Like

Deprived by the pandemic of my beloved Dollar Oyster Happy Hours, I learned to shuck my own. It’s proved to be a valuable skill.

3 Likes

Sunday Italian Restaurant Lunch with my dear, my parents and inlaws …

10 Likes

Snacky evening tonight.

Made a tomato tart late afternoon and ate some. Then out for a glass of wine and snacks at my favorite neighborhood wine bar that we thought was a pandemic casualty but was resurrected last week. Then another slice of the tomato tart when I got home.

Tart was an oil crust, chive cream cheese spread over the base, and then tomato wedges that I partially roasted first before arranging on the crust and baking again for a while.

I didn’t love the crust, but that’s my own fault for using half whole wheat flour and over-mixing. The flavor of the combination of everything was lovely, though.

17 Likes

It already is. It’s just an assumed thing. :wink:

7 Likes

Well, this is definitely a birthday you’ll never forget!

4 Likes

Picture of your knife? Extra credit for using a screwdriver.

It’s just a regular old oyster knife.

Capture

Before I bought it, I tried a screwdriver and a paring knife, but I didn’t get very far. I’m gotten a lot better at shucking since I bought the knife last November (in that I no longer emerge from the kitchen red-faced, sweaty and covered in brine), so it’s very possible I can use a screwdriver now.

6 Likes