What's for Dinner #71 - the Vacation Time! Edition - July 2021

I was halfway through my shift today at a very busy lunch spot-- the new job with “normal” hours I think I’ve mentioned previously-- and had an epiphany. Even though we discussed what was going to be for dinner tonight, I texted my BF (who unexpectedly was going to get out of work early) and mom and said, “I’m not cooking another thing. Let’s go out to dinner.” Being on the shore, our first two restaurant choices were booked solid, so we ventured farther inland to one of our favorite Italian restaurants and snagged a reservation for one of their last tables for the evening (in the bar area-- not a problem).

A thunderstorm held off just long enough to get there, though we witnessed quite a lightning show on our 30 minute drive there.

Anyway, I gotta tell you, I’ve had a lot of meals here over the years, but my pork chop tonight was out of this world and the best of all of them. It was bone-in and topped with an apple and pancetta demi glaze and served with broccoli rabe (absolutely perfect salt content) and mashed potatoes. BF had the short rib which was literally fall-apart tender and mom had Frutta di Mare.

For appetizers, we shared zucchini fritte and the fresh burrata mozzarella with “The Works”. Our server Gregg was amazing. Dessert was creme brulee and bread pudding. Drinks were…plentiful! I had a couple of Bombay gin martinis, BF alternated with a cherry basil cocktail and a chocolate martini (not pictured) while my mom had wine and later a chocolate martini herself. An unexpected and outstanding evening.

Some of the images came out blurry due to dim lighting.

IMG_20210717_221357_760

18 Likes

This has been on my must visit in SF list for a while! :yum:

1 Like

It’s not a matter of being unable to tape the receipt. I’m perfectly capable of doing so. I won’t do it because it blocks the air flow. My envelope holding important manuals, etc. in the kitchen drawer works fine for me and has for 40 years.

2 Likes

Ah. You see I have a wife who moves things around. grin

All the vents on my detectors are on the top/front and sides, so on the mounting surface against the wall or ceiling is concealed and doesn’t disrupt airflow.

The biggest issue here is making sure the reset/cancel button on the kitchen detectors are ahem accessible.

Updated version tonight of a meal from earlier in the week.

Porcini truffle ravioli, fresh corn, and oyster mushrooms all in brown butter, with a nice dollop of fresh ricotta at the end.

Tonight’s version was tweaked - I pan-steamed the ravioli after making the brown butter. It was fabulous! I think I’ll be making my ravioli this way going forward.

Steamed broccoli with a lovely Spanish extra virgin olive on the side - the broccoli was horribly woody, which has happened to me: never.

Snacked on some of yesterday’s homemade bread with the ricotta while I was making the rest.

Awful weather here.

16 Likes

Spent the weekend in NYC for the first time since pandemic, had a family wedding at The Rainbow Room, details here:

7 Likes

Back in the kitchen for a home cooked meal, first in too long. I decided to make a dish for each member of the family:
Steak (cubed filet mignon): son
Chicken sausage: daughter
Broccoli rabe’: wifey
Bourbon flambé and large noodles: Me

Garlic, shallots, baby Bella’s, butter and olive oil all tossed with a egg noodles. Threw in some hot pepper seeds to give it a little more kick!

Delicious!!

17 Likes

Saturday was spent at my sister’s 60th birthday luncheon party at Fiorella’s Cucina in Concord, MA with her husband, her MIL, SILs, their grown children and their children’s kids. I got a very nice mesclun green salad with goat cheese, glazed walnuts, and dried cranberries with a lemon vinaigrette, as well as their shrimp scampi (shrimp done perfectly, but the dish was a bit overladen with butter. Still good.) Afterwards, off to one of her SIL’s houses for cake, gifts (mostly gag gifts), and chit chat. So last night’s dinner was leftovers.

Today was sleeping in after being awoken twice overnight to loud thunder with passing thunderstorms. Took a couple of lamb loin chops out of the freezer and marinated in olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic and fresh rosemary, with a healthy pinch of s/p.

Grilled on the grill pan and finished in the oven with Mrs. Miller’s mint jelly alongside. Sides were roasted baby potatoes tossed with olive oil, s/p and Penzeys’ Tuscan Sunset seasoning mix, and sauteed sugar snap peas, onions, red bell pepper and carrots with Penzeys’ salt-free Mural of Flavor.

And wine. The boyz had a cuddle nap mid-afternoon. Because that’s the proper way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

20 Likes

Most of my cat pictures seem to be about butts and not suitable for sharing.

3 Likes

Merguez sautéed with cherry tomatoes, green beans (first of the season) with some of the pan juices, tzatziki potato salad. Wish I’d made more green beans.

15 Likes

Lovely dinner!

2 Likes

Just cut the fat off this fabulous Belcampo pork rib chop . I’m slowly going to render it . Saute the chop in it afterwards. About 2 1/2 hours out . Plenty of wine . Birthday tomorrow. Cheers. :wine_glass:

another double picture. Must be the wine

17 Likes

Enjoy your dinner and upcoming b-day! I start celebrating mine this week! Love summer birthdays.

5 Likes

Admittedly new world Cornish pastie, (lard pastry enclosing beef cubes, potato, rutabega, onion)

With beef gravy as remembered by husband from Butte, MT Woolworth’s lunch counter

18 Likes

Oh, this looks delicious @pilgrim and love lard pastry for savory things. Yum.

Love your dinner and your kitties @LindaWhit! Sounds like your sis’s milestone birthday was fun too!

1 Like

the boys are delicious!!

glad you got to hang with your sis on her bday!

2 Likes

Bulgogi salad with a spicy dressing i made with ssamjang, Mike’s Hot Honey, fish sauce, evoo, rice wine vinegar, and lime juice. Salad was butter lettuce, endive, mint, basil, cilantro, radishes, jalapenos, persian cukes, and half a beautiful white peach. Bulgogi from H Mart, pre-marinated, and very tasty. A little rice for the BF. Watermelon for afters. So glad for summertime eating!

16 Likes

I had aimlessly soaked some gigantes beans and lentils yesterday.

Decided to make simple Greek- style gigantes beans in tomato sauce with fresh pita. First time for the pita. Started with a simple tomato and onion salad like my favorite Greek restaurant in the city serves (a plop of ricotta in the center because its fresh and delicious).

After yesterday’s awful weather, replete with thunderstorms evening into the night, today was glorious. I took my work and then my meal outside for the first time since I’ve been home and spent several hours there.

19 Likes

did you make those pitas in the microwave??? splain, please! that meal looks wonderful.

and tell me again, i know i’ve asked before… where do you live again?

2 Likes