What's for Dinner #70 - The "Kickoff to the Summertime BBQ" Edition - June 2021

I do the Chopped game here sometimes. I also do the game where I take languishing leftovers and turn them into something new because the fam doesn’t really like leftovers. Even of dishes they liked fresh. Oh, to be the family cook…

3 Likes

It’s Taco Time!

I’m down to a couple beefy, buttery Snake River Farms American Wagyu in the freezer and wanted to do something a little different than my usual steak & potatoes.

Swankified Carne Asada Tacos!

I made a Marinade/Salsa (1 half meat marinade, 1 half chilled salsa) by puréeing this Toreados (sautéed peppers, onions, maggi or soy sauce) that came with hubs’ taco truck al pastor + Jalapeños, Garlic, Cilantro, Orange Juice, Lime or Lemon, Soy Sauce, Rancho Gordo Chipotle Hot Sauce, Skosh of Olive Oil, Cumin & Smoked Paprika

Accompanied by Guac & Homemade Chips

There was beer.

Happy Summer Eating!

16 Likes

I was playing mad scientist and experimenting to see how it would work. Potatoes don’t get super-crispy, but they do pull in a bit of the flavor from the “marinade”. Proportions, IIRC, were: a bit less than 1/4 cup bourbon, maybe 2 tsp each of soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and honey, 1 minced garlic clove, and maybe 2 Tbsp of oil? Seemed to work out OK and having that oil in there definitely helped in the browning at higher heat.

1 Like

Maybe not crispy but looks like they got good caramelization!

1 Like

Hah, we do that with the Lasagna Verde (spinach pasta, ragu, béchamel, cheese, topped w/fried spinach) at one of our favorite Italian spots, Angelini Osteria. We like to order different things on the menu but can’t pass up the lasagna, so we share it as an appetizer.

1 Like

BLTs and spicy slaw tonight. Today’s been a scorcher.

11 Likes

Vietnamese caramel chicken that I wish had turned out stickier, more caramel-y, sticky rice, and salad with homemade ginger/sesame dressing, shiso leaves, & crispy fried onions.

11 Likes

i have sooo many of those little containers of hot sauce in the fridge right now. was planning on making a mexi-rice with them soon, but maybe i’ll use them as a marinade instead. that wagyu looks great - love SRF meats!

3 Likes

Tonight it was chicken piccata served over spaghetti and garlic spinach.

13 Likes

I have been waiting to use this Spanish seafood broth . Wasn’t sure of it . Very subtle with underlying flavors . I made paella before this . From recipes off the internet. I felt they were way to strong flavored . This put me in the wheelhouse . Really good . Bomba rice ,mussels , clams , and prawns. Cheers .

20 Likes

Continuing the Mexican theme…

Carnitas, Beans, Guacamole, Corn/Wheat Tortillas, Homemade Fresh Salsa Verde mixed w/Leftover Salsa from last nights Carne Asada

Oven Roasted Carnitas

Slow roasted on a bed of White Onions at 250 for 3 hrs then broiled to render and crisp the fat.

Blue Shackamaxon Beans

So pretty! I got them at a farmers market. Soaked overnight and slow simmered for about 1.5hrs (pretty quick for a regular ol’ pot) in Water & Chix Stock w/Aromatics & Cilantro, Whole & Ground Ancho Chili Pepper, Bay Leaf, Mexican Oregano, last 30 minutes added TJs Chix Broth Concentrate, Dried Epazote, Butter & Splash of Red Wine Vinegar. They’re mild flavored, creamy w/firm but tender skins, absorbs other flavors well and make good bean gravy.

Long Grain Rice

I had planned to add epazote & cilantro to the cooking water, but forgot, instead garnished w/Cilantro & White Onions.

Hubs is a total carnivore who loves Mexican food. He’s in food heaven this week. :heart: Tomorrow night is chili!

16 Likes

Looks nice! When I’m getting ready to make paella, I make a stock out of shrimp shells and use that with some saffron. Pretty tasty results.

4 Likes

I think we went there once and had that dish, after Giada salivated about it on “Best Thing I Ever Ate.” !!!

1 Like

Was it small, crowded and really loud? Lol.

I assume you used the appropriate sticky/sweet/glutinous rice. How did you cook it? Steam? Bamboo “upside down hat” steamer or something else? I learned to make sticky rice from my late Thai SIL and am happy to share what she taught me. Information is power when shared!

Yes. On the west side of LA in Beverly Hills or something on a big street. Wilshire? Santa Monica? On the north side of the street.

1 Like

LA was a great cooking and eating city. I’m not sure how much I miss about the rest of it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yep, that sounds like it. It’s on Beverly Blvd. They also opened a fast-casual spot next door. I’ll do an update when we go.

Yes, LA is great for food enthusiasts (great food, chefs, local produce)! The rest of it can be a little trying. But there’s always the beach… if you can find parking! :smile:

Darn, I didn’t get a chance to read all of it.

Sorry. Decided it was too much personal info for the interwebs.

3 Likes