What's for Dinner #70 - The "Kickoff to the Summertime BBQ" Edition - June 2021

Hi everybody! Long time reader, thinking about pulling the plug on starting to post. I mostly eat vegetarian though, so wanted to make sure that would be okay. If no one is interested in that, I totally understand and will continue to just read and appreciate all your delicious posts!

11 Likes

of course it would be ok! you’ll be an inspiration to many. welcome!

3 Likes

Maangchi’s bulgogi (korean bbq beef) was WFD. i added gochujang like in her dwaejibulgogi (korean spicy pork) recipe. But I think i just prefer the pork to the beef, because this wasn’t my favorite bulgogi - just a bit too sweet, and i also realized i’ve probably made dwaejibulgogi many more times than bulgogi. Didn’t stop us from eating ALL the bulgogi - should have never made it to the table. Banchan was homemade kimchi, Japanese pickled veg, pak choi sauteed with garlic/soy/oyster sauce, chili crisp, sesame oil/rice vinegar/soy cuke salad, and serrano chilies.

16 Likes

Thanks for reminding me I have adobo seasoning. :slightly_smiling_face:

We were supposed to have tacos tonight too, but my grocery delivery was missing everything. We’re vaccinated now, so I guess it’s time to go back to fighting the traffic, parking & crowds and pick-up my own groceries! :smirk: One plus… I’ll now remember to sprinkle Adobo seasoning on my meat!

1 Like

I would love more vegetarian posts.

1 Like

BF and I celebrated our anniversary tonight out at an actual restaurant! We are fans of this place’s sister property, and the food here was just as good if not better, and with a much livelier atmosphere. For an appetizer, we had the Eggplant Tower with fresh mozzarella, tomato, and balsamic reduction. For entrees, I had scallops over zucchini risotto with pistachio brown butter. It was perfectly cooked and delicious. Justin had the white truffle pizza and added Italian sausage. Our table had a view of the roaring flame of the pizza oven and also the restaurant’s beautiful bar. To drink was a couple of Bombay gin martinis for me, while he tried a blueberry and mint cocktail as well as a chocolate martini. Dessert was an obligatory cannoli. We would definitely come back here. Our server was outstanding, the atmosphere and vibes were great, and of course the food and drinks more than satisfying. It was great to feel “normal” again as well.

22 Likes

Nice dinner, Happy Anniversary! :clinking_glasses::kissing_heart:

2 Likes

What an excellent way to celebrate. Happy anniversary!

2 Likes

Yay! Happy anniversary!

2 Likes

I’m always trying to up my vegetable game. So please, post away! And welcome!!

1 Like

Of course it is - we have many vegetarians on this thread. Also gives us inspiration for meat-free dinners - post away! And welcome to the WFD thread, @Stefsteves.

1 Like

Happy anniversary to you both! And your dinners look wonderful!

Happy Anniversary and all our best wishes are being sent from overseas.

Congratulations, you love birds! Dinner looks fantastic, especially the risotto. I’m not a sweets person but i’d kill for that cannoli.

BF and I are going out on our first “date” night in 15 months… to sit inside a restaurant for the first time. we were trying to get it in before the state opens up to full capacity at restaurants, 6/15.

5 Likes

Please post! I would love some veg ideas. We try to eat veg at least a couple times a week.

1 Like

Green papaya salad with grilled shrimp. Green papaya salad is one of my favorite things. This time I happened to have a mango that was on the verge of going bad so I added it to the dressing. It provided a nice sweetness and I was able to omit the brown sugar I usually include. The papayas are hard to find locally but I always get one when I hit an Asian market. Time for anther road trip.

17 Likes

Awww… Happy Anniversary! :hugs:

1 Like

mazegohan, aka chicken and vegetables mixed with rice.

10 Likes

See if you can find amela tomatoes.

I made bangers and British baked beans (the latter from scratch), apple-y sauerkraut, and sauteed garden chard.

15 Likes