What's for Dinner #70 - The "Kickoff to the Summertime BBQ" Edition - June 2021

Dinner at home tonight.

Started with idea to approximate a pasta I ate recently but then went off the rails and just made something up - lots of caramelized scallions, garlic, and then sliced Brussels sprouts, with some red pepper flakes. Oh, and browned butter to start. Cappellini went in, then finished with pecorino. Quite nice for no plan.

19 Likes

I really like your off the rails made-up dinner!

2 Likes

Tonight I just tossed them in with potatoes for a side with a steak. I’m like you in that I’ll add them to anything that is complimented with garlic. The most common way I eat them however is with scrambled eggs. :joy:

2 Likes

I do many things electronically and tend to search for recipes online now more than i turn to my beloved trove of physical cookbooks (which i still buy). But I do keep recipe binders, which include printed copies of recipes i’ve sourced from various places with my hand written annotations of additions or modifications, or scaled up or down quantities. They also include some adaptations of my mom’s homestyle Indian recipes, streamlined to include my shortcuts or modernizations. These binders are exceptionally special to me. I have often thought of turning them into a family cookbook to share with others, but haven’t found the time or energy to do so. If anyone has a good platform to make that a less daunting task, i’d be interested to hear about your experience.

4 Likes

Lol, I just looked again at my freezer and apparently I had a brain fart when I typed that - it was FIVE quarts. Still a good haul this year!

3 Likes

We enjoyed another excellent dinner at Il Nido in Marlboro, NJ.
We enjoyed filet mignon with mushroom trifolati al cremoso; Berkshire pork chop; ricotta gnocchi with rock shrimp, and the usually awesome charcuterie board. It all went great with an excellent Amarone and Barolo.

10 Likes

Fried shrimp, fried rice and slaw. The fog crept in and it is a lovely 60 degrees.

12 Likes

Exceptionally amazing …

Love the cheese and charcuterie board & The gnocci !!

2 Likes

If you decide to do that, I have a Microsoft Word format all set up with chapters, automatic table of contents generation, and most of an automatic index. I’m happy to share if you like and teach you how to use it.

1 Like

Beautiful photos.

I typically don’t top a filet but coincidentally did last night. Three mushrooms, whipped cream, chives, and a touch of parm.

10 Likes

I still use the little diary my mom hand-wrote (mostly indian) recipes into for me through the years.

My annotations are to “fix” the proportions - and quantities: my mom’s translation of an approximated recipe to a measured one is rarely accurate :joy:

But for anything that isn’t a family recipe, I use Evernote. That way I can annotate as I go and versions are preserved.

Many years ago we converted my aunt’s recipe collection into a word doc, printed out and placed into sheet protectors in a binder - that was a labor of love. But it wasn’t a “system” that she continued. She hints at an update, but no one has had the time or mental energy.

I’ve occasionally wondered about a better system for myself, but hadn’t focused on it much until my pandemic exile, when my little nephew kept saying “we really need to write down these recipes!” - because at all of 11 he wants to make sure his favorites, old and new, are preserved and passed on. So now I need to do something about it!

10 Likes

A business lunch … Crab salad; Russian Salad; Catch of the day: Grouper and a simple Pasta …

8 Likes

Thank you! We love the charcuterie board and the leftovers will be used in a nice pasta dish during the week.
The homemade gnocchi was excellent as well, with nice cut up pieces of shrimp.

Your lunch looked exquisite as well.

2 Likes

Thank you!
My wife likes blue cheese or Roquefort cheese on her filet. The restaurant didn’t have either, but we tasted a nice cheese on the charcuterie board that tasted similar to a Humboldt fog cheese, (the white cheese on the right of my 2nd charcuterie picture), and the chef was nice enough to top off the filet with a nice slice of that cheese.

Your filet looks delicious as well! I like the combination of toppings.

2 Likes

Definitely still TPSTOGSP! :wink:

You and the Mrs. dine and drink very very very very VERY well.

2 Likes

Thank you :blush:
Mrs. P works very hard during the week, & I like to treat her (and myself :grin:) to some nice dinners and wines over the weekend.

You seem to make some amazing dinners for yourself considering your stressful workload. You also manage to keep a great sense of humor about it.

3 Likes

Thank you backatcha. My mantra is “If I don’t take care of myself foodwise, no one else will.” I guess that’s along the lines of “If Mama ain’t happy, nobody’s happy!” :wink: So the boyz appreciate it when I feed myself well. :smiley:

3 Likes

Common to use Cabrales Blue (Asturian aged blue wrapped in leaves in caves) for Filet Mignon (solomillo de buey) … It is a cross combination of goat, sheep cheeses but can also be goat and cow cheese …

If exported, it is young.

Delicious !!!

4 Likes

I’ve forgotten to post some recent meals…very unlike me. A leaky kitchen faucet has me discombobulated and avoiding much cooking. Looks like we’ll be replacing it if anyone has recs for a modern-styled pull-down sprayer faucet?

Tonight, japchae with marinated tofu, beet greens, zucchini, carrots, marinated mushrooms, onion, garlic, chives, egg omelette and scallion. Really tasty. Snap peas with butter, black vinegar, and white pepper as the side.

Last night, IP split pea soup and homemade honey wheat bread.

Friday night, mild thigh chicken curry with potatoes (using a Patak’s paste) and naan. Cottage cheese as a creamy element as we are out of yogurt.

16 Likes